Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Congrats all around, nice looking Gobbler. I've never used a rifle for Turkey before, shotguns and a compound bow for mine; maybe I should try it someday...?

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
I think Texas just passed a new law that it is illegal to hunt Turkey with a rifle. A shotgun is all you can use. I have heard this from several people.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is only for the eastern turkeys in a few east Texas counties. We were hunting Rios in west Texas. Perfectly legal and in my opinion the best way to harvest a turkey no shot to pick out.

·
Registered
395 Posts
We can't use rifles in Mass, way to go.

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Hey Scott,

Some fine shooting by Jesse! Great looking bird!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
It's my understanding that the fall season was either rifle or shotgun, but the spring season is shotgun only. That's the way it's been for many, many years, for East or West Texas. If the law changed, that would be news to me. But,..........I haven't hunted here for years now, and don't even buy a resident hunting license now. I only get a fishing license.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FirearmsGame animals and game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, except:
  • white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may not be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber.
  • shotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used to hunt Eastern turkey during the spring Eastern turkey season (see County Listing). Rifles and handguns may not be used to hunt Eastern turkey.
  • pellet guns and other air guns are not legal.
  • fully automatic firearms are not legal.
  • a shotgun is the only legal firearm for hunting migratory game birds (see Definitions - Legal Shotgun).
  • Silencers may be used to take any wildlife resource; however, all federal, state and local laws continue to apply.
Nongame Animals (Non-Protected) may be hunted with any lawful firearm, pellet gun, or other air gun.

Hopefully this helps the Texans who in the future may want to hunt turkeys with a rifle. L Pete and horseshoe y'all might want to grab your favorite rifle for general turkey season opener Saturday.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Congratulations to Jesse, looks like a fine gobbler.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Firearms

Game animals and game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, except:
  • white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may not be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber.
  • shotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used to hunt Eastern turkey during the spring Eastern turkey season (see County Listing). Rifles and handguns may not be used to hunt Eastern turkey.
  • pellet guns and other air guns are not legal.
  • fully automatic firearms are not legal.
  • a shotgun is the only legal firearm for hunting migratory game birds (see Definitions - Legal Shotgun).
  • Silencers may be used to take any wildlife resource; however, all federal, state and local laws continue to apply.
Nongame Animals (Non-Protected) may be hunted with any lawful firearm, pellet gun, or other air gun.

Hopefully this helps the Texans who in the future may want to hunt turkeys with a rifle. L Pete and horseshoe y'all might want to grab your favorite rifle for general turkey season opener Saturday.
The key word here is "Eastern".......That's not to imply East Texas........That's the genre of any turkey in Texas.....Check and read the "County Listings" in your reply, and any county checked will state "Eastern Turkey". Sorry, but what you posted means that it's shotgun only in the Spring Season.........If you're still in doubt, call a Game Warden........He'll happily help you out......

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Texas has two species of turkeys Eastern and Rio Grandes. The Easterns are pretty newly restocked in the eastern part of Texas. It is only legal to hunt them with a shotgun. Th Rio's are fair game according to what I posted with a rifle. I was never in doubt.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
But the county listings say "Eastern" even in the Rio's Area......Read.......or.......once again, ask the Game Warden.....

·
Registered
839 Posts
Call me crazy, but the way to keep it legal while spring turkey with a rifle in counties with Easterns and Rios is to not shoot an Eastern. Easy as that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts