Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about this on the 1894 forum, but I'm feeling more frustrated. I called Marlin today, and the first customer service rep was not interested in issuing me a label to return it on their dime, despite describing how the lever does not close properly if you cycle the gun slowly. I also explained that I originally purchased an 1894SS (both sight unseen through Bud's) and was mostly satisfied, so I figured I could chance ordering the 1894CSS when it became available. He told me to just ship it in.

I called back an hour later and asked to speak to a supervisor, and the rep I was talking to said he could issue a label no problem and apologized for a new gun not coming out right.

Let's hope they can fix it. There is the problem with the lever getting stuck at the end of the stroke if you don't move it with enough authority. In addition, there is a rough spot on the wood on the fore end. The metal wood fit isn't perfect, either, but I'm not expecting K31 quality from them. However, I did not expect the receiver, barrel, and lever having numerous scratches in the stainless that made it look like it was put together by the Orcs from Mordor.

I hope they can make it right. S&W service has always done right by me so far, so we'll see if Marlin/Remington has what it takes.

Any advice on exactly what to write in my letter? I don't want to sound upset that their $650 gun isn't up to a custom rifle costing 3 or 4 times that amount, but I don't want it to look worse than some of the Mosins I have!

·
Registered
846 Posts
WELLCOME ABOARD THE SS RANT FORUM! A new casualty everyday. I would send that sucker back with a nasty note to the power of 10! and DON'T buy anything newer than 2008!!!!! come on People! Remington can't even build Remington's right now! How In the HELL do We think they can build a Marlin? :mad: Dennis

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops, never posted how it all worked out! They fixed the lever problem and replaced the foreend. They also polished the gun, so it looks better. I tried some different cast and jacketed loads, but didn't find anything worth shooting yet. I've been distracted by some other projects, so I haven't shot it in a long time. Right now I'm having a bit more success with my 1894ss, so I'll get to the 1894css someday. At least the parts seem to work now!

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
Heck!, whats wrong with telling them you expect what you paid for.For many years ,marlins costing less money were put together much better.Tell them you dont want the POS back and to send you a good one.Multiple issues with a brand new gun in my eyes is something I would have a hard time accepting.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I like old guns and old folks! :biggrin:

·
Registered
7,432 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe the best tactic is to buy from a 1st class gun shop and have the shop test the gun and do quality checks before you pick it up. Even if you paid some extra for the testing, it may be worth it.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
My local shop is also a gunsmith, every new and used gun gets their one year guaranty in addition to the factories. Thats why I was able to my my 336Y with a clear head.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts