Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello everyone. My name is Randall and I'm new to the forum.

After much consideration I have decided I'd like to be the owner of a Marlin 1894css JM model in .357mag. I've looked persistently online and in local shops but have been unable to locate one for sale. People who own this rifle must like them because they sure don't seem to be trying to get rid of them. I see plenty 1894c but the stainless is non-existent.

Any chance someone here in the community has this particular rifle and would be interested in accepting an offer from me, or perhaps knows someone who may?

I'd appreciate any interest or input guys.

Thanks,
Randall

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
As far as I know they were only made a few years before the takeover and they are in the most popular caliber for 1894 out there, the supply is FAR FAR FAR FAR below the demand, thus hard to find and when you find one you will have to pay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback Momentum. Looks like I'll be one of the guys that pays heaps for one of these as I pretty much have my heart set on it. Can't lie, it feels a little wrong putting up the kind of numbers these rifles are getting but I just can't see them ever losing value. Maybe if Remington at some time started actually making them as good or better than the pre-aquisition models? I guess that scenario could potentially kill the demand. I've decided to pay the premium though so I'm not going to let that get in the way of enjoying it! Now just to find one...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Marlin 30-30. Thanks for updating that link and providing that find in general. I was having trouble locating that post over on AR15. I've reached out to the poster. Appreciate it! I'll let you guys know if I work out a deal with him and provide some details.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is my first time trying to post photos to a photo upload site for sharing so I hope this works. I used Imgur.com. Try this link and see if the photos show up. I received about 9 of them from the guy with the 1894css. Couple of things I'd like you guys to check out and share you thoughts on regarding this particular rifle...

First, how about that JM stamp? Does it look a little strange to you guys too? I've never actually seen one of these JM stamps in person before so maybe they aren't that consistent and appear in many different ways. This one just seems a little sloppy or maybe has an etched kinda look to it, not stamped. What do you think?

Second, how much would the installed rail on the top DECREASE value in the rifle in the longterm, if at all?

Check it out and let me know your thoughts. Here's the Imgur link...

Joe's Marlin 1894css 357 Mag - Album on Imgur

Thanks, Randall B

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Looks like it was manufactured in 2009 as Remington was stepping in. The JM marking is almost always like that. I beleive the rail can be removed and the rifle brought back to its original configuration as well. I do not know the price of the rifle but I would feel more secure if the serial number was on the tang as produced by Marlin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like the old boss took the JM stencil with him and Remington was forced to use a dremel tool?! Man, sure is sloppy looking.

I suppose that even though it was done in a factory and not some guys garage doesn't change the fact that it's basically a seller trying to replicate the original. I wonder how much the quality suffered in 2009 as things were shaking up?

What do you think about that tactical rail installed? Should I just remove it for investment sake?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
IMHO the tactical rail is a personal choice and having said that, there is nothing tactical on any of my Marlin firearms, I personally do not like the way they look. I think you should be OK with the year of manufacture but I'm sure others with greater knowledge then me will chime in. I beleive it was 20011 -2012 that Remington took over and the problems started.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm not taking offers, but I'll post this picture to tide you over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice looking rifle sir!! And paired handsomely with the revolver.

I happen to be watching an old Dead or Alive episode with Steve McQueen right now with my grandfather. His gun in that show has a lever like that ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I choose to remove the rail what evidence will be left behind that it was installed? Will I need to fill the hole in the barrel with some aftermarket part?

·
Administrator
28,640 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners RB.

Let's make this thread a general discussion thread and when you are ready you can post a Want To Buy (WTB) thread in the Trading Post. Please read the following rules before posting
Mandatory Read to Sell, Buy or Trade Here.Soliciting to sell, buy or trade outside the Trading Post Forums is prohibited.

Best of luck finding your 1894CSS.

Jack

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Understood.

Is asking members questions about this rifle in particular and about the general model of rifle within guidelines? I assume so but just want to be clear.

Thanks for welcoming me.

Randall

·
Administrator
28,640 Posts
Understood.

Is asking members questions about this rifle in particular and about the general model of rifle within guidelines? I assume so but just want to be clear.

Thanks for welcoming me.

Randall
Randell, MO is all about firearm discussion and gaining knowledge so ask away.

Best,
Jack

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Like the old boss took the JM stencil with him and Remington was forced to use a dremel tool?! Man, sure is sloppy looking.

I suppose that even though it was done in a factory and not some guys garage doesn't change the fact that it's basically a seller trying to replicate the original. I wonder how much the quality suffered in 2009 as things were shaking up?

What do you think about that tactical rail installed? Should I just remove it for investment sake?
Maybe it's a fake?
Maybe a REP in JM clothing.
Stranger things have happened.
Could be a few fake JMs hitting the market considering what's being asked for those things?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I have a Marlin 1894CSS "Stainless" in .357. Found it in a my local gun shop when the CSS models were in production. I really wanted a blue'd model and just missed a 1894 .357 20 inch cowboy by 2 days at another gun shop. I had the rifle slicked up by a local cowboy action shooter and it is now slicker than snot.

I not a fan of short the barrel on the 1894CSS model much preferring the longer barrels of the cowboy models......all of which are rare demanding insane prices but that's the market we are in.

C.D.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts