Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Hoping that somebody can confirm all is correct after fitting a single piece firing pin as i did not really notice what it was like with the factory 2 piece ??

All went back together as planned, following instructions from the net, presumably the flat leaf spring is no longer required and only the middle role pin is refitted as i can see no way of fitting the end role pin ??

However, is it correct that the single piece firing pin now freely slides up & down the breech bolt housing retained only by the middle role pin ???

As mentioned i never really noticed what happened with the factory 2 piece firing pin and can see nothing i have done wrong, hence probably worried about nothing.

Some reassurance this is correct appreciated

Cheers

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Hi Dave and Welcome to MO.
I have both roll pins in my 1894 with the one piece firing pin.This may vary by the manufacturer of the firing pin as the relief would need to be cut in it.I would think one would hold it fine.You should be able to shake the bolt and the firing pin rattles back and forth.Thats normal.Now you can install a light mainspring for the hammer and a lighter lever plunger spring if you want to cycle the action faster.Can also bend the trigger block spring some to lighten up the trigger block.Yes,I have all these mods done on my 1894 44-40.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Yup, thats normal. A two piece doesn't flop around as much because the spring provides friction. I dont like the one pieces for a couple reasons, that freedom of movement is one. The pin is free to slip forward & back bouncing on a hot primer.
I doubt it could pop one unless you dropped the gun on its muzzle from a considerable height, But I still dont like them.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
I should probably mention I only use the one piece firing pin for CAS competition unless used originally in an antique.I keep the two piece in the hunting guns.The one piece allows the shooter to use light springs due to reduced friction and helps your CAS times.I also rounded the surface of the lever plunger.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Levergunz said:
I should probably mention I only use the one piece firing pin for CAS competition unless used originally in an antique.I keep the two piece in the hunting guns.The one piece allows the shooter to use light springs due to reduced friction and helps your CAS times.I also rounded the surface of the lever plunger.
Its fine, lotsa people use them.
I bought one for my 336 a few years back as a trouble shooting aid. It came with the light spring & I had a great idea I could use the spring in my 45/70. Almost lost a deer from a light strike, got lucky though, he just stood there looking for what made that "Thwack!" and the gun fired the second time, he shoulda ran. ;) Anyway I still have the spring & the pin but theyre not in guns.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I'm having the same problem. Every bit of information on the Internet tells me to use only one roll pin, but I'm unsure?

·
Registered
73 Posts
One thing to keep in mind with the one piece firing pin. The factory two piece is designed as a safety thing, as it prevents firing in case the bolt is not in battery, which can be hazardous to your health. The two halves are not lined up until you are locked up in battery. Going to a one piece firing pin defeats this safety device. I'm not suggesting you go back to the two piece firing pin, but this is something to be considered. For a competition gun a one piece might be justified. Other than that????

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I don't shoot Cowboy Action Shooting competitions and, to be honest, haven't been hunting with my lever action. But I've talked with a lot of guys who do both, about replacing firing pins, springs, etc. I have found almost to the individual, if they participate in both activities, their hunting firearms are stock! They slick up the actions and work on the triggers, but all the safety means are left operable and spring weights are left stock. One acquaintance commented that the designers of the firearms designed for dependability and safety.............not the speeds required in CAS. Made sense to me, so I'm following suit for my firearms. Just my two cents worth. (might as well take it, because pennies will some day no longer have any use!) :biggrin:

Reactions: wags2477

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I purchased one about 4 years ago. Followed the instructions here Marlin One-Piece Firing Pin Kit and haven't had any problems whatsoever. Only problem is I can't find instructions to install the two piece pin anywhere should I ever want to convert it back....lol

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
There is No advantage that a one piece firing pin gives you, that Practice and Firearm familiarity will not overcome. I have watched and shot with China Camp, Durango Kid and Evil Roy, seen them all win Championships (National and World) without this alteration.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Your one peace pin will be fine and you will be glad you changed it..JMO.. It moves freely .. rattles... .. Safty features on the gun will still work ... no problem.. Enjoy:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Your one peace pin will be fine and you will be glad you changed it..JMO.. It moves freely .. rattles... .. Safty features on the gun will still work ... no problem.. Enjoy:biggrin:
Not exactly true, the gun will fire with NO locking block installed, bolt in teeth shortly follows. IMO, a kind of important safety feature defeated there. But this was all chewed over several times in past posts, should anyone care to go look.

Also, anyone changing the firing pin for any reason needs to check tip protrusion. Too short and you get misfires, too long and you get punched primers and gas in the action.

Stan S.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Not exactly true, the gun will fire with NO locking block installed, bolt in teeth shortly follows.
Well..............THAT is something I didn't know. Just another reason I don't think I'd ever go for the one-piece. Besides, "bikini's" have always been my preference over a one-piece! :biggrin:

Reactions: dhansen

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I have never, no, NEVER, heard of any accident related to the installation of a one piece firing pin in a Marlin rifle. Please, someone post a link or some pics, and I don't mean any of that "I heard about if from the best friend of my teachers uncle on her fathers side" kinda of stories.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Personally, I'd rather keep all the safety features functional rather than defeat one for no good reason. The factory 2 piece won't fire unless the locking bolt is in place which lines up the two pieces of the firing pin allowing the gun to fire. The one piece defeats that and can allow the gun to fire before the bolt is locked in place. There was a reason Marlin got away from the one piece firing pins back in 1893. To advise others to defeat a safety device is the height of folly.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I have never, no, NEVER, heard of any accident related to the installation of a one piece firing pin in a Marlin rifle. Please, someone post a link or some pics, and I don't mean any of that "I heard about if from the best friend of my teachers uncle on her fathers side" kinda of stories.
Personally witnessed it at Cowboy Shoot, El Dorado Cowboys Monthly shoot in August 2004. BUT that wasn't the only alteration, BUT it gave caution to those who might consider it. "Bubba Gun Works and Back Yard Remedies"; where someone has to Polish every single part, can lead to doing too much and over coming inherit safe guards.

You may proceed as you wish. As for myself, I will error on the side of safety.

PS...I was the Timer Operator/Range Officer for the shoot. Sorry there is no film or news story account of the incident. The , shooter, an older SAAS gentleman, had been given advice from a energtic more competitive shooter, without the consideration of knowledgeable background to supprt ones efforts. Sort of like doing your own surgery ay home from a how to guide on the internet. The firing froze in the forward position, causing the cartridge to discharge before being in full battery. No Injuries, a little soot on the shooters face, a change a britches for both the Shooter and the Timer Operator..But it could have been worse. Caliber was a .45 Colt, Model 1894 CB.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I will add that Several things went wrong that day,: High Primer and a cartridge getting stuck because of poor reloading procedures. THAT is why the two piece firing pin is there. Many things can go right if you have the one piece...Speed being one of them. But it it only takes one wrong thing or combination of wrong things to change your day for ever.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The 1 piece is a better pin and won't break like the OEM does due to a design issue. I have broke 4 OEM Marlin 1894 f'pins shooting SASS/CAS. Tip of one, then the other 3 broke where the 'leg' of the flat spring fits into the front pin. This because it was machined with a square bottom cut(stress riser)instead of a full radius.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts