Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After writing this post, and before posting, I found some info on this problem. It even has a name. The “Marlin Jam”. All the reading and photos I saw did nothing to help me understand what to do to fix this problem. To me, it looks like something for a gunsmith. I also see a current thread with this problem, but decided to not hijack that thread.

I just loaded one round, and it cycled fine. Two rounds, and it cycled fine. 5 rounds and it cycled fine. 9 rounds and it jammed right away. Again, I had to take the magazine tube spring out to empty the gun. Now, for the post as I originally wrote it.

Today wile shooting my 1894CS the lever locked open while trying to load a round after filling the magazine. The round that was in position to be loaded into the chamber was jammed up against the breach below the chamber. This happened a couple of times and working the lever freed the rounds and allowed me to chamber a round, but this time I had loaded 9 rounds into the magazine, and was trying to chamber a round when it happened. It appeared as tho the carrier caught the bottom of the next round in the magazine and would not allow the lever to move at all. I ended up removing the spring from the magazine just to take the pressure off the rounds in the tube to allow me to work the lever and empty the gun. None of the rounds would chamber, but it did allow the rounds to float free so I could turn the gun upside down and the rounds would fall out. What is causing this?

The gun is less than one month old and has exactly 425 rounds thru it. Below are a couple of photos I took when it jammed. They may or may not show anything.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Your Top photo shows alot. It shows the rim of your next round peaking out of the mag tube which stops your carrier from rising.

Yes, it appears to me that you have found your problem and hopefully get it fixed.

..........Widder

·
Registered
391 Posts
The Marlin Jam in the 1894, as I understand it, occurs when excessive wear has been created on the lower side of the cartridge lifter creating a notch that then allows excessive movement causing the action to go "out of time". Its usually seen on rifles used by CAS guys that go through lots of ammo under rapid fire. Your rifle may indeed have a timing issue, or perhaps not, but not to worry, someone with far more knowledge that myself about these rifles will be along shortly to try to help you solve your problem. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

I wish that you lived close to Caldwell, I could fix it for you. What is your city or village (for S.E. Oregon residents). :biggrin:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your Top photo shows alot. It shows the rim of your next round peaking out of the mag tube which stops your carrier from rising.

Yes, it appears to me that you have found your problem and hopefully get it fixed.
I don’t know what you are seeing, but I don’t have any photos that show the rim of the next round peeking out from the mag tube. It is what is happening tho, but I don’t remember if I had discovered that yet when I took the photos, and I don’t think I could get enough light in there to show that. I’m still clueless as to how to fix this short of taking it to a gunsmith.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Marlin Jam in the 1894, as I understand it, occurs when excessive wear has been created on the lower side of the cartridge lifter creating a notch that then allows excessive movement causing the action to go "out of time". Its usually seen on rifles used by CAS guys that go through lots of ammo under rapid fire. Your rifle may indeed have a timing issue, or perhaps not, but not to worry, someone with far more knowledge that myself about these rifles will be along shortly to try to help you solve your problem. Good Luck.
That’s what it sounds like. It’s been there since day one, but until yesterday, it would only happen a couple of times per mag and I just thought I was short stroking it. I’m certainly clueless as to how to fix it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I wish that you lived close to Caldwell, I could fix it for you. What is your city or village (for S.E. Oregon residents). :biggrin:
I’m about as far SW in Oregon as you can get, just north of the Kalif boarder. Sounds like you are about a two days drive for me. :(

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With all the reading I did last night on this problem, I am no closer to understanding exactly what is causing this or how to fix it. If there are any instructions complete with photos with arrows pointing to the specific places and parts to work on out there, I’d appreciate a link. Otherwise, this will have to go to a gunsmith, or back to Marlin.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Not sure if this will help you or what you're looking for, but saved it one day on my PC for future reference...

Marlin94Fix

Good luck to you.

Reactions: Brocky

·
Registered
567 Posts
Howdy Wingspar.

In your TOP photo, if you notice right in front of the tip of your bullet, you can barely see a small portion of the top edge of the rim of that next cartridge trying to come out of your mag tube. Its very small in the photo but when you know what you are looking for, its obvious to see.

The cause of this is 'basically' as mentioned above by M.Wazowski. But, it doesn't have to be caused by wear. Sometimes, the timing on some 1894's are borderline when they leave the factory.

You can visit the website of Marauderhomestead.com and view some remedies of your situation.

In a nut shell, your timing is LOW and either the forward portion of your carrier needs to be bent upwards or the ramp on the bottom of your carrier needs to be raised about .010 (ten thousands).

If you would like to call me and learn more about this situation, feel free to holler this evening.

865 / 984-4455

..........Widder in Tennessee

·
Registered
391 Posts
Widowmaker is on the right track. It probably left the factory out of time and can be repaired by bending the lifter. If I am not mistaken, there may be some info in the gunsmithing section on this website that describes a a fix by bending the lifter to improve the timing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don’t know what you are seeing, but I don’t have any photos that show the rim of the next round peeking out from the mag tube. It is what is happening tho, but I don’t remember if I had discovered that yet when I took the photos, and I don’t think I could get enough light in there to show that. I’m still clueless as to how to fix this short of taking it to a gunsmith.
I see it. And he's right, it keeps your carrier from rising.

·
Registered
268 Posts
May be a stupid question but is you loading gate tight ? My 2002 1894 locked up as tight as could be. It was caused from my loading gate.

Reactions: njcioffi

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Howdy Wingspar.

In your TOP photo, if you notice right in front of the tip of your bullet, you can barely see a small portion of the top edge of the rim of that next cartridge trying to come out of your mag tube. Its very small in the photo but when you know what you are looking for, its obvious to see.

The cause of this is 'basically' as mentioned above by M.Wazowski. But, it doesn't have to be caused by wear. Sometimes, the timing on some 1894's are borderline when they leave the factory.

You can visit the website of Marauderhomestead.com and view some remedies of your situation.

In a nut shell, your timing is LOW and either the forward portion of your carrier needs to be bent upwards or the ramp on the bottom of your carrier needs to be raised about .010 (ten thousands).

If you would like to call me and learn more about this situation, feel free to holler this evening.

865 / 984-4455

..........Widder in Tennessee
You know, you are right. I see it now. I didn’t think I captured that. That’s a better photo than I thought it was, and I thought it didn’t really show anything.

I’m not sure I want to try and bend the carrier. First I’d have to remove it and study it before I did anything. In another thread I read where Marlin is aware of this problem, and will fix it if I send it in. Since the gun is brand new, I’m going to keep that option open.

I don’t have any long distance calling plans, but I appreciate the offer. I need color photos with big arrows pointing to what I need to work on and do, and until I remove the carrier, it will all remain a mystery to me.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Widowmaker is on the right track. It probably left the factory out of time and can be repaired by bending the lifter. If I am not mistaken, there may be some info in the gunsmithing section on this website that describes a a fix by bending the lifter to improve the timing.
Have you looked through here? Mr fixit
Jams Of All Kinds
I have not seen that section of the forum yet. Thanks for the link. I just read a couple of threads there, but haven’t seen anything yet that convinces me this is something I can do. Wouldn’t I void my warranty if I messed it up, then sent it to Marlin?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I see it now that’s it’s been pointed out to me. I saw that it was blocking my carrier from rising while I was still at the range. I didn’t think I actually captured the next round protruding from the mag tube in the photo.

May be a stupid question but is you loading gate tight ? My 2002 1894 locked up as tight as could be. It was caused from my loading gate.
The loading gate is tight. I’d like to loosen it up a bit, but I’m learning some tricks to loading the rounds without mashing my thumb. It’s obviously not part of the problem.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Wingspar,

I'm pretty sure that all the info shared on this thread has helped identify your problem correctly.

Now, the next thing is that we need to help you get it fixed correctly.

This just my opinion, but I would try to find a good, reputable COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING gunsmith who is familiar with this situation and has some experience in fixing it. The reason I say Cowboy gunsmith is because of the abuse we put our rifles thru, Cowboy gunsmiths are familiar with this type of Marlin problem and usually can fix it with minimal effort on your part and their part.

Some might heat and bend the front up about .010
Some might add a HARD TIG weld to the carrier ramp and build it up about .10 or so
Some will JB Weld a piece of hard saw blade on your ramp.
And one of my favorites is by a fellow Cowboy shooter in Michigan name Gunner Gatlin. His process is to electro weld a SUPER harded piece of steel on the carrier ramp and leave it anywhere from .010 to .020 high. This height will usually fix some of the worse timing issues that cause your type of problem.

Nominal cost for some of the above fixes are around $20. But, Gunner Gatlin does charge $35 for his process. I used it on my original Widdermatic to readjust my timing and it is a perfect process, in my opinion.

I've been involved in each of these fixes and they all work great. The only one that I no longer prefer is the JBWeld process. But, its only because the other processes are more permanent.

There are quite a few Cowboy shooting clubs in Oregon. If you can find one close to you, it might be worth your effort to search out one of their gunsmiths that is familiar with Marlins.

P.S.- you could return the carrier to Remington and you 'might' get a good replacement.

..........Widder

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
How can you see anything with those eyes....and who are you looking at? LOL Is that the avatar that is animated showing him look around?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts