Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a year ago, I bought a 1991 .357. Ip until a few days ago, I never had an issues with any ammo I shot through it. In .357, I used American eagle 158 grain flat nose, PMC bronze flat, magtech flat nose. In .38 special I used all 158 grain also in Magtech, American eagle flat and round nose in 130 grain, home loads from a friend. Never any issues with .38 special. So my wife and I went to the range, I loaded PMC 158 gr flat. Cycled the lever down, and it froze open. I removed it and tried several more times with the same results. Fyi, I shot about 500 plus of these rounds already in the past, with no issue. I then loaded AE in the same grain bullet, and shot with no issues. I loaded it 3 times, no issues. Then loaded .38 special same grain, no issues. I went back to PMC rounds, locked up!! Why? Like I said I shot alot of the same round since I bought the rifle..I went home, removed the lever, bolt, and did a quick clean. I then went back to the range yesterday, same results! So I read up on the carrier issue. Which brings me to several questions:
1) can the carrier have issues, with only certain types of ammo? I did compare the pmc and AE round, and the pmc is a tad longer.
2) if the general consensus is the carrier is the culprit, how hard is it to swap?
3) I found that there is a new and improved carrier for the marlin 1894 in .357
4) will the new carrier fit in my 1991 model?
5) I looked up on brownells and midway and they have one listed?
6) Numrich has one listed, new old stock?

I'm just puzzled after shooting a lot of pmc loads, that it now will not cycle, but the ae in .357 will, and all .38 specials I've tried. Any thoughts, suggestions, comments, will be greatly appreciated. Plus any info on the correct carrier for my year marlin. I'm not a gunsmith by no means, I just do basic field strip cleaning.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I think that it's highly unlikely that the carrier is the problem. It works with all of the ammo you have thrown at it (including PMC), until the latest batch you got. That says to me that the carrier timing isn't an issue.

Sounds to me that you might have a bad batch of PMC ammo. I'd try single loading them into the chamber and seeing if they go bang.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Lots of questions......so here goes...I'd say first thing is to learn

how your Marlin disassembles and of course put back together

Correct screw drivers are a must ! Yes Midway sells a replacement carrier...$70

Any one with Marlinitus will have spare parts and yes spare screws...watch for Midway's free

shipping on +$49 orders...plenty of U Tube vids on the Marlin 1894 dissasembly and threads

here in the gunsmithing section......learn how to do it...clean & polish 'er up

Also ways to modify your current carrier with the JB Weld & hack saw blade method...IF thats the issue

Remember also the issue of carbon fowling your chamber with 38 Special loads..clean well

No advantage to the handloader with 38 Special brass...unless you have a free 5 gallon bucket of it

357 length brass will eliminate one of the feeding issues...I don't use any factory ammo..too $$$

Midway's P/N 727646

·
Registered
931 Posts
I'm just puzzled after shooting a lot of pmc loads, that it now will not cycle, but the ae in .357 will, and all .38 specials I've tried. Any thoughts, suggestions, comments, will be greatly appreciated.
Below is a link to how to replace the carrier. I would inspect it first. If it looks in good condition, I would suspect the ammo also.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I wonder if PMC changed the profile of their round since you only have issues with that brand.
Can you post a pictures showing the issue?
Where is the rnd hanging up?
LG

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So as a follow up to my post. I took the lever, bolt apart, didn't really see anything jumping out as far as being wrong. I wiped down the bolt, added some hopes to a cloth and wiped the inside of the receiver. Put it back together, loaded the same pmc bronze .357 rounds that would lock up the lever in the open position, and it cycled fine. I filled the tube with 8 rounds, cycled them all with no issues. So as someone mentioned in the post, .38 special can foul it up going from those and .357 rounds. So maybe that did the trick, but haven't shot any rounds through it yet, just cycled the rounds. I am still gonna get a replacement carrier so I have it on hand. I'll probably order the carrier, extractor, probably getting rid of the wwg large loop lever, just a bit goo big(came on the gun) and replace it with the range point precision lever, plunger, spring, etc. Then I can swap the original back and forth.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:::SO THE ISSUE GOT WORSE. The lever was locking up with any .357, but not with. 38 special. I purchased a replacement carrier last month, and decided it was time to replace it. So based on all the comments, I bought a nice set of gunsmith tools, read a bunch. I took it apart, installed the new carrier, and cycled with no ammo. I loaded 6 of PMC bronze that I had an issue with before, I could barely move the lever. I removed the pmc and loaded the rifle with federal, and could not even cycle that. It would hard lock the lever not even a 3rd of the way open. I threw in .38 special and it would cycle. So after giving it some thought, I decided to remove the WWG large lever loop, and install the factory Marlin lever. To my surprise, it cycled all the ammo that I had an issue with above. It cycled it very smoothly! To test, I put the WWG large loop back on and had the same no cycle issues with the new carrier/wwg loop. The WWG loop does show signs of wear, but did not expect that bad of a cycle issue with it. I will say though, the new carrier design does look different than the marlin factory carrier, so that might be the problem. So back to the stock lever, and the WWG loop, well no idea what to do with the wwg loop now..

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
UPDATE:::SO THE ISSUE GOT WORSE. The lever was locking up with any .357, but not with. 38 special. I purchased a replacement carrier last month, and decided it was time to replace it. So based on all the comments, I bought a nice set of gunsmith tools, read a bunch. I took it apart, installed the new carrier, and cycled with no ammo. I loaded 6 of PMC bronze that I had an issue with before, I could barely move the lever. I removed the pmc and loaded the rifle with federal, and could not even cycle that. It would hard lock the lever not even a 3rd of the way open. I threw in .38 special and it would cycle. So after giving it some thought, I decided to remove the WWG large lever loop, and install the factory Marlin lever. To my surprise, it cycled all the ammo that I had an issue with above. It cycled it very smoothly! To test, I put the WWG large loop back on and had the same no cycle issues with the new carrier/wwg loop. The WWG loop does show signs of wear, but did not expect that bad of a cycle issue with it. I will say though, the new carrier design does look different than the marlin factory carrier, so that might be the problem. So back to the stock lever, and the WWG loop, well no idea what to do with the wwg loop now..
Your carrier is fine. To bad you didn't mention the WWG lever in your first post. I had the same problem with the WWG lever...mine would lock up halfway on all of my 1894s. What was happening is the lever was to short to close the action all the way. If I racked the lever and then pushed on the back of my breech bolt to close it, it would allow me to close the lever.

Give that a try and see if it works on yours.

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
I don't think the ammo has anything to do with it............

I think the front of the carrier, is getting trapped under the follower or the next round in line.............

Does this happen when the rifle is empty?..............If yes, it's the follower trapping the carrier.............if no, it's the head of the next round, and that indicates the cartridge cut-off isn't timed correctly.

If it's the cartridge cut-off, then remove the carrier,support it at both ends, and bend it DOWN in the middle about .010-.015..................doing so changes the relationship of the front end relative to the pivot point..........

The carrier may look as if it won't bend, but it will......it's soft.

Tom

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think the ammo has anything to do with it............

I think the front of the carrier, is getting trapped under the follower or the next round in line.............

Does this happen when the rifle is empty?..............If yes, it's the follower trapping the carrier.............if no, it's the head of the next round, and that indicates the cartridge cut-off isn't timed correctly.

If it's the cartridge cut-off, then remove the carrier,support it at both ends, and bend it DOWN in the middle about .010-.015..................doing so changes the relationship of the front end relative to the pivot point..........

The carrier may look as if it won't bend, but it will......it's soft.

Tom
I installed the new carrier as stated last night. Cycled the lever with no ammo, works fine, cycle with .38spl, fine, .357 locks up only with using the wwg large loop, and does not with the stock lever. I am going to keep the original carrier and note your procedures, and give it a try.

·
Registered
14,621 Posts
Screenshot 2018-09-30 at 7.09.17 AM - Edited.png

Here's the way to adjust your carrier using two round screwdrivers as bending pivots. Cold bend slowly, carefully, and measure often. I use feeler gauges to measure, but the person that posted this pic used a straight ruler. This example is bending carrier nose up, re-position pivots to bend down. There will be a little springback. Measure carefully.

Reactions: Tomray

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
View attachment 762215

Here's the way to adjust your carrier using two round screwdrivers as bending pivots. Cold bend slowly, carefully, and measure often. I use feeler gauges to measure, but the person that posted this pic used a straight ruler. This example is bending carrier nose up, re-position pivots to bend down. There will be a little
springback. Measure carefully.
Thanks for the info, I will probably try it when I take the gun apart next..good information to pass along

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Your carrier is fine. To bad you didn't mention the WWG lever in your first post. I had the same problem with the WWG lever...mine would lock up halfway on all of my 1894s. What was happening is the lever was to short to close the action all the way. If I racked the lever and then pushed on the back of my breech bolt to close it, it would allow me to close the lever.

Give that a try and see if it works on yours.
Here's what I was talking about.

1894c.jpg

After you have closed your WWG lever as much as you can push on the area marked by the red arrow to close the gap with the yellow circle, then try closing the lever the rest of the way.

My lever would not close the bolt enough to allow my lever to lock closed. Worked fine when I switched back to my original lever.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks so much for taking your time to reply in this amount of detail. This sight has a lot of people that are willing to help others. Thank you again very much.
Thanks for the info, I will probably try it when I take the gun apart next..good information to pass along

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
Are the manuals for these hard to find for my 1968 model?
Nitetrain,

The basic design of the current 1894 hasn't changed since it was re-released in the late 70's /early 80's, with the exception of the Cross Bolt Safety being added in 1983.............

You can probably find a down loadable manual on line, or find one on Ebay...............

Tom

Reactions: Maineiac
1 - 17 of 17 Posts