Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit the range briefly with my new to me 1894CP today (all stock, no scope). Went straight to the rifle range since I didn't have much time today.

I only shot some old Remington 125 grain JSP's that shot ~2" high regardless of the fact that I had the sights on the lowest setting. (50 yds for all shooting today) Didn't get around to trying any other ammo yet.

Initially they were printing ~8-9" to the right. But a few taps on the rear sight corrected that, and after 3 adjustments I got it on sight (9 & 10 ring) as best as I can tell. Unfortunately my eyesight wouldn't let me do better than 3-4" groups. :-( At least I was managing to get ~2/3 in the (silhouette size) 10 ring. I did manage one 2" group right in the 10 ring.

Obviously, if I am going to see what it is really capable of, I will have to scope it, but I am not sure I want to do that. I am leaning towards keeping it stock and just using it for a ~50 yd or less stand rifle. I LOVE the feel and weight as is, and the trigger and action are pretty good for a stock rifle. I had no feeding issues at all.

I am hoping to put my daughter on a deer (or hog) with it this year. Recoil is absolutely minimal, and should still be so with the 158 gr JSP's I will finish sighting it in with the next time I make it to the range.

Luis

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Although you acknowledge it in OP no pictures no happen :). I love my 44p's. Put you a skinner peep on her and you'll be shocked at how much a difference it'll make.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I would recommend the 158 grain JHP "Deerstopper" load from Georgia Arms. It is a max load and shoots well for me. It may be closer to point of aim with the sights. Also you can remove the rear sight elevator completely to get an even lower setting by allowing the sight to rest on the barrel. I've had to do that for some loads. Another trick is to thin the elevator some by removing some metal from the bottom until you get it where you want it, then reblue.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although you acknowledge it in OP no pictures no happen :). I love my 44p's. Put you a skinner peep on her and you'll be shocked at how much a difference it'll make.
I realize how much better peep sights work. I can shoot 4-6" groups at 100 yds with an AR all day, BUT that is on a bullseye target where even my old eyes can make out the circle. Deer are an entirely different matter altogether.

Without glasses, the rear sight is crisp, but the front sight is damn near invisible and I cannot even make out the target.. With my shooting glasses (30" focus) the front sight is crisp, the target is kinda fuzzy, and the rear sight is rather fuzzy as well. With driving glasses, the target is crisp, but the sights are useless. :-(

Obviously the shooting glasses work best, but even my very best open sights shooting sucks compared to even just a 4 power scope.

TY for the tip on the GA ammo SC REB, I'll keep that in mind. I already have a few hundred rounds of 158 gr JSP loads to try out first though.

Luis

Reactions: sti40edge

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IMG_20140731_214406.jpg

The culprit. :)

Luis

·
Registered
430 Posts
Luis, Nice looking rifle!! Jess

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
that’s a fine lookin’ rifle

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Like that one!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Luis, Nice looking rifle!! Jess
LOL You would know, since you sold it to me! Thanks again! It is exactly what I was looking for!

Luis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts