Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1894CL 218 Bee

7K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  dpe.ahoy 
#1 ·
Went to a gunshow about 50 miles away this morn not really looking for anything and a dealer I know called me over and had this big sh#@% eating grin on his face and reaching into his rack and hands me a rifle knowing full well I'm always catching Levergunitus. Well the fever took hold something fierce and after some haggleing and cash leaveing my wallet I was cured for the time being thanks to a Marlin 1894 CL in 218 bee. Ya never know when something like that can strike ya down.............. :lol:

#2 ·
Iowahunter,
You're a very lucky man to have someone "pull you by the arm" to show you a 1894CCL 218 Bee for sale! I'd like Marlin to do another run of this cal. I know a few people that have been looking for one for years!

I have a 1894 CCL Bee modified to the Mashburn chamber config. that I would not sell for any amount of money! It's just too much fun!
Factory Bee ammo is real expensive, but if you reload, its a real cheap cal. to shoot.
My '94 Mashburn Bee wears a Leupold Vari X II 2-7x compact scope and will put (5) 46gr #1024 Speer flat points down range off the bench at about 3160 fps (chrono'ed) into a .875 inch group at 100 yards in calm conditions with no crosswinds. It will run close to 3400 fps without pressure signs, but the accuracy is not as good, and I think I run the risk of flame cutting the bore with those loads
. It is devestating on squirrels, but most times you need 3 hands and a spatula to pick them up! A few I've actually decapitated right at the shoulders!
Enjoy your new Bee, it will quickly become a special gun in your collection!

Regards,

Tomray
NRA LIFE

#3 ·
Tomray, You are right in saying one should reload for this caliber. I had a 218 Bee Ruger #1 several yrs ago and I still have a couple of boxes I reloaded for it yet and several hundred new brass. I let my dies go with the Ruger but, the dealer is throwing in a set he has as part of the deal.
If I remember right the ones i have are loaded w/ AA 1680 and a win/rem 46gr HP. They shot pretty well out of the #1. I''l have to reset the overall length as the Ruger had a real long throat but thats no big deal. Thanks for your reply.... As I was walking around the show I had several people ask me about it and when I replied I had just purchased it the response was D&%# Late again LOL

#4 ·
Another Iowan here!! Glad you found a 218.CL. I'm lucky enough to have two, I was trying to decide if I wanted to scope mine last year and like you went to a gun show and found one in almost new condition at a price I couldn't turn down so now I've got one with a reciever sight and the other has a compact 4X on it. I used the scoped one on rockchucks in Idaho last year and it was great. The other 218 and the 25-20 have both taken chucks already so the new one had to be broken in properly! That Mashburn really smokes them out there! These are fun little cartridges, don't use much powder, cheap bullets and performance way better than the numbers would lead you to believe.

#17 ·
OK, I was born and raised there, when do I get my stroke of Iowa luck?? Congrats to all you lucky bum, er fine fellows. Totally envious, DP.

#6 ·
Tomray, I was hoping that Marlin would make another run of those this year. I have been looking with no luck for a year now. I am usually a day/dollar short. I guess I will get one of the 32cal., but really want the 22 Bee. I shoot a 22 Hornet out of a Ruger bolt, but it just ain't the same to a Marlin lever guy...

#7 ·
Dr. A,
I've been pushing for a short run of 218 Bees for for the last 2or 3 years. Now that the 32-20 has come back as a short run, I guess I should push again on the Bee.
I'll talk with the head of sales and R&D and see if I can get some others on the right side of this effort.
If I get positive reception to the idea, I'll let you know. At the same time, it never hurts for you and others to call Marlin and voice your "wants".

Also, as a heads up, check out Davidsons latest short run item. its a 1894 Marlin in stainless steel, with a short 16.25 " (I think) barrel in 41 Mag with a gray/black/white laminated straight stock. I saw them in the assembly department two weeks ago, and they are the prettiest '94 we've made in a long time!

Regards

Tomray
NRA LIFE

#9 ·
Tomray, on the subject of prettiest you've seen. I got a 444 the other day and have to say it is the prettiest Marlin I have ever seen. It has a dark figured wood that may be fairly normal for others to see, but not by me. I have seen hundreds of Ruger #1's that I think are beautiful, but this one has them beat. Thanks for all the hard work. Its a real beauty! :D

#10 ·
You guys are making me drool talking about the 218. I had a single-shot 218 several years ago, and have lusted after the Marlin since it was announced. What a neat little round! Easy to load, cheap to feed, and a hoot to shoot. I think I'm starting to NEED one! And the Mashburn config is just more of a good thing. Why wasn't I born rich instead of smart, charmng and handsome? :wink:

PJ

#12 ·
Well, now I know I really shouldn't have come over here snooping around. You guys have really done it too me again.

I got into a little "flame" war over the .218 Bee in a 94CL with a guy I was just "teasing" a while back, because I've been wanting one for over 15yrs now, but have never seen one. He had just picked up one off one of the internet brokers. I'm too "chicken" to throw out about 5 "C" notes without a lot of confidence I'm going to get what I gave it for.

I too have/had Rugers, and a T/C and H&R in .22 Hornet, but would really like a "Marlin BEE".

I'm also am curious how the BEE will respond to the Hodgdon Lil-gun.
I routinely get 2,800fps with the Hornet and 45-46gr bullets. 40gr pills run around 3,000, and 35gr to 3,200fps.

I've killed a lot of deer with the Hornet, and would really prefer the BEE in a lever action to the bolt actions as I shoot "wrong handed" (left handed with long guns, either side with handguns).
The Hornady 45gr BEE is an outstanding bullet in the Hornet, should be even better from the BEE!

G
#13 ·
When the CL's were in production , I worked weekends at a local gunshop. With my discount I could have bought a new Bee , 25-20 and 32-20 for about $600 FOR ALL THREE :? And at the time you couldn't have given me one. My how times change :!:

#14 ·
218 Bee Range Report

6pt-sika said:
I have CL's in 218 and 25-20. They both shoot jacketed loads well but my cast bullets are a lot of fun also :D Casting 22 and 25 cal slugs are not the easiest but I still enjoy it :!:
Gents,
Got some brass and with some of the Hornday 45gr HP Bee's and the Speer 46gr FP loaded over some 410 and Fed small rifle match primers + a new Bushnell Banner 1.5x4.5 'shotgun scope' mounted, made it to the range with the 'new' CL.
Bloody cold, and it took a while to get the scope dialed in. But as I approached the end of my test rounds, I was confident enough to move onto the 100 yd dirt bank, and proceeded to nail a clay bird. This from elbows off the bench, the first strike left mebbe a 1-2" piece still visible, bang,,,,,,,, no more bits to shoot at, {:eek:))))).
No clocking of the loads yet, but of note is that the Alliant 410 powder is temperature sensitive,,,,,,,, the colder it gets, the hotter IT gets. Something that the Alliant rep had warned me could potentially be the case, something to do with the way the nitroglycerine responds to cold. I'll back off a bit and get the Chrony out.
6pt, I'm casting for the 25-20 with good results, but sheesh,,,,,, 22 cal boolits are gonna' be innerestin'.
The gun is basically brand new, and there was still some swarf in the action and trigger. Gave it a preliminary clean and lube, and lotsa' action cycles.
Polishing of the various moving parts will clearly pay, and the sear is still a bit 'graunchy', but it will clearly respond to progressive fine tuning.
Fun gun! Looks to be a real shooter.
Cheers all,
R*2

#16 ·
The .218 Bee is an OLD round, was a favorite with single-shot builders. A lot of .310 Cadet Martinis were converted into one version or another. I think Winchester was the only one that had a factory-chambered rifle prior to Marlin's run in the '80s. Marlin only ever had the one run, about 10-12K rifles and all the same, half-magazine. Probably $800-1200, depending on condition and what comes with. Box and papers add $100+.

Stan S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.