Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this rifle in a local shop and while I don't have a need for it, I could resist the urge of taking it home.

Rifle says it is a 1894 Cowboy Limited. It has the 24in octagonal barrrel, case colored receiver, lever, hammer, blued loading gate and bolt, tang sight. Serial number on the left side of the receiver is 02006XXX.

What caught my eye on this one was the burl like wood stock and forearm.

Having a tough time dating this rifle or determining if the fancier grade wood was just the luck of the draw or if this was a special run for a distributor.

I'm not much of a collector, but would appreciate your help in figuring out what it is.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
I do not know much about, but I want it. ;D

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a good looking rifle. Compared to my work rifles, almost doesn't seem right to stick them in the same safe.

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
Is the s/n on the tang or receiver? Wood appears aftermarket. Case hardening looks custom. is the barrel OEM Marlin? Caliber? Curved square lever yawn t been used in years.

Papalote

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there Marine24 -- Does the barrel roll stamp look something like this? Looks like some one put some time and money into that rifle. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
367 Posts
THAT is one absolutely gorgeous rifle!!
With the exception of it not having a 'straight' stock, that is EXACTLY how I would have a 'Cowboy' rifle made!

Incredibly beautiful!!!!

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
I have nothing to say but WOW that is purdy. Id say someone custom built that

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Papalote said:
Is the s/n on the tang or receiver? Wood appears aftermarket. Case hardening looks custom. is the barrel OEM Marlin? Caliber? Curved square lever yawn t been used in years.

Papalote
The S/N is on the receiver. Barrels appears to be OEM and has the roll mark similar to picture Wind put up. Caliber is 45 Colt.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So assuming it is a custom job, any idea who would do this kind of work? Not much experience in custom gunsmiths with the exception of those that work their magic on 1911s.

Estimate the case hardening would run around $350 from a shop like Turnbull but not clue who would provide this type of custom stock work. Like to see what I can dig up on its lineage and get a sense on what this would cost or appraise for.

Not sure I have a practical use for a rifle that is as fancy as this, but sure is easy on the eyes.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Marine,

I'd be scared to ask how much that stock alone cost? Darn, I have a few Burl 1911 grips and on rare wood those things cost close to $100 bucks and they are small and thin! A stock like that would have to cost upwards of $500 bucks at least.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

It looks as if someone has screwed up (bubba-ized) a nice Cowboy Competition Model Marlin. A cowboy limited model that Marlin dressed up for competition. The Competition Cowboy's had case colored receiver, high grade stocks and slicked up actions, not many were made. Any collector value is probably long gone on that one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts