Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a peep or tang sight on my 1894CB Limited, 1894CB .44MAG and 1895CB rifles. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there Blacklion213 -- Looks like you have been waiting for an answer for awhile. Sorry, I didn't notice your post. Guess I'll toss my two cents worth in now!! I'm a big fan of Marbles tang sights. They have both windage and elevation adjustment. The Lyman sight does not have windage adjustment built into the sight. I like a thin (.050") wide blade front sight by Skinner Sights. Order it tall and you can file it to get you zeroed at 50 yards with zero to one or two clicks in the elevation barrel of the Marbles tang sight. I can get a 32-20 1894CL to reach 400 yards with this set up. Receiver mounted sights are built by Williams, Redfield, and Lyman and probably some more folks I've never heard of. They all do about the same thing and it boils down to price and personal preference. Hope this helps. Here is a pix of the 20" barreled 32-20 Cowboy Carbine five shot group at 300 yards. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey again Blacklion213 -- Here is a pix of Jim B. with his 39a and Marbles with a 300 yard three shot group. Wind

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
I recently bought a marbles tang sight and installed it, using for the time being, the long screw through the tang only. I have only shot it on one outing using the sight to get it adjusted. It does have windage which is a must, and is fairly easy to dial in. I will still need to get to the range for a final adjustment in better weather conditions before I am completely happy. The only problem is that I shoot left handed and the windage adjustment is on the right hand side and wants to kind of graze my nose a bit on recoil. I don't know if I can flip the knob over to the other side yet, I'm thinking it might reverse the detents. I am shooting a 2001 '94 CBL with of course, a 24" barrel.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there ANF -- Marbles doesn't make a left handed sight. Flipping that knob would require a bunch of machining. But what might be do-able is to mill off the knurled area and reduce the width of the knob. In this picture you can see what needs to remain to secure the knob, via pin, to the base. Possibly re-knurl the area over the pin hole. It may just offer a 50% reduction in scraped snoz area!! Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Iv got Marbles on most of my lever guns ! Except my1895 cb It has a set up from Montana vintage arms ! These three are going to the range today when It warms up here . Mtn country takes a while !

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I like the williams peep sights. the tang sights are 'in the way' when I take my shooting grip. They also are too close to my eye for comfort.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Don't know how I missed this, I was wondering about this same thing. Is there a tang site that doens't requiring drilling???? And like the last poster, does anyone else have trouble gripping the gun with the tang site. They look really neat. Really want a ladder sight but last I checked Skinner wasn't making them. Can you still use the stock site with the tang site???

Thanks

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Wind,
YER NOT SUPPOSSED TO TAKE IT APART, YOU MIGHT LOSE THE BALL BEARINGS!!! ;) seriously, that is a great break down you did! I see what your saying about reducing the knob and re-knurling. You really got into the works there!! Thanks for the suggestion.

Greg

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey again ANF -- Yes indeedy! There are a bunch of them little thangs. But it is what gives them their precision and makes them cost a bunch. Three hands (all yours) is helpful if you get to working on one... Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
desertdog,
On using the tang site with that semi-buckhorn, yes you can leave on the semi buckhorn if you're shooting out at a hundred yards or more. Kind of depends on the bullet weight. In my .357, I shoot (factory) using 125 gr. and it will hit a foot higher than shooting 158 gr. using same sight settings, so the heavier the bullet, the higher the sight goes and less interference with the buckhorn. You can blank the dovetail or leave it on and use the iron sight for shorter distance. I kinda of like the stock sights, but still using the tang sight. If you want to try the Marbles, you can attach with one screw tightly so you can see if you really like it before you drill that second hole. You'll get used to the difference in the grip feeling.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Wind,
Do you remove the buckhorn sight and blank it? How tall a front sight are you ordering from Skinner anyway? Nice shots at 300 yds!!
Best regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey again ANF -- Yeah, I remove the Buckhorn sight and install a blank. The blank protects the dovetail and your hands. Be careful to order a steel blank as they come in aluminum and plastic as well. I have been getting Skinner front blade sights at or above .500" - .600". I like a .040" or .050" wide sight as well. A tang sight on a rifle with a ramp under the front sight does change the ability to zero the tang sight at zero clicks. You can still reduce the front sight height, but you still need to leave some blade, and that will usually chew up 5 to 10 clicks on the tang sight. Another note of caution... Sometimes frequent tipping the Marbles tang sight up and down will move the windage knob and cause windage adjustment changes. This doesn't occur often or in any great degree of movement, but does happen. Could cramp your style at a silhouette match or something. I like to record the windage setting as well as the range settings so as to be able to check before hunting or competing. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Wind,
Again, great info, thanks a lot. I have two '94s in .357 one having the Marbles tang site. I am going to follow your recommendation as to front sight height and blanking the rear dovetail.

Greg

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Wind again,
One more thing. Is that tang hardened? I do have a Marbles attached for the moment, by only one screw (I was checkin first before I drilled) I really can't imagine it would be, but you tell me. I can center, the hole and get it setup in a vise for drilling on my drill press, but if it's hardened, how do you go about it? Seems like threading might be a bit painful if hardened.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there ANF -- Nope, the tang is not hardened. Easy to drill and easy to tap. It is critical to get the forward hole centered. If I remember correctly the front screw provided for Marlins is a 10-32 thread. Again getting the correct hole diameter to match the tap diameter is very important. With the sight mounted with the tang (stock) screw, it helps with locating and center punching the second hole. Take your time and I'm sure it will play well. I like to ease the upper tang rim of the new hole with a countersink lightly and chase the threads with the tap a second time. That slight champher on the hole edge makes starting sight screws sweet. Notice how the sight base sits on the tang once you have the stock screw snugged up. You may see an un-parallel-ness as the tang has a very slight taper. Hope this helps. Best regards (and good luck). Wind

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wind, I'll second the GREAT info. Thanks for sharing. I'll try out the stock sites on the new CB limited before I order a Tang.

Thanks ANF for the advice too. If I did get a Tang I would want to keep the stock sights for quick close range shots.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Hey, JC nice photos of yer tang sights.
Wind, took your recomendation on the Skinner front sight at slight oversize to stock sight. Going tomorrow to attempt to sight in at 100YDS. Blanked rear sight. shootiing .357 in a CBL 24" barrel. Using 158 gr jacketed. Ought to be interesteing. Previously I've been shootin 142 gr in same rifle. At a hundred yds. the 142 will shoot 1 foot higher than the 158 gr, amazing. I guess I'm going to need to pick one or the other. Unfortunately I don't get out as often as I'd like to, so this dialing in seems to be a protracted process.
Nice photos of thos long range shots in differnt topice there, Wind.
Skinner front sight took over amonth to receive form order date.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there ANF -- That's the beauty with a Marbles tang sight. Sight in and adjust the front sight for the load that shoots high. Record that sight/load information. By adjusting the rear tang sight up some more you can now zero for the 'lower' load. Record that information as well. Now when you shoot either load, just adjust the sight for the load/distance and let'r rip. Don't forget to record the windage setting from either the right or left cheek of the sight base for both loads. Sometimes they will be different. Let us know how it plays. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

1 - 20 of 22 Posts