Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I purchased a pre-owned but excellent condition Marlin 1894CB that I have yet to fire. It's in .357 magnum. I found some .38 snap caps to run through it just to ensure that it's fully functioning and to dry fire it without hurting the firing pin.

Anyhow, I cycled 6 rounds through without a hitch. Second time I did it to verify function, the lever locked open tight. I couldn't get it to budge. No shell on the carrier, just the action was seized open and wouldn't budge. I could see rounds still in the magazine. I got a tiny screwdriver and gave the round in the magazine a push inwards and it freed the action.

Tried to replicate the jam and couldn't. I was showing my GF the function of the rifle and used the snap caps again and she got it to seize up again. Then I tried and it happened to me, pushed the round with the screwdriver and it was all good again. I can't replicate this jam.

What's up with that? Somehow the gun seizes open and pushing slightly on the round inside the magazine frees it up no problem.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

·
Registered
567 Posts
You state that there is NO shell on the carrier yet one of the snap caps is pertruding enough out of the magazine 'portal' to freeze up the carrier.

Interesting.

After you following Bibbyman's advice, also check your loading gate screw. CAUTION: this is a small screw and toooooo much tightening pressure can sheer it into. AND, before you try to tighten it, make sure the arm portion of the loading gate is setting correctly in its position in the frame.

another thought: your portal could have a very tight diameter tolerance and the snap cap could be oversized alittle. If it does it again, set that particular snap cap on a shelf and try just the other five.

and another thought: something in your mag tube could be preventing (or hindering) your snap caps from pushing thru with enough pressure to feed onto the carrier. This would cause a problem also.

..........Widder

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all for your replies. I tried to replicate this jam but couldn't. Go figure. I think it may involve not working the action hard enough? Either way it looks like the round from the magazine comes out a tiny bit, just enough to jam the carrier but not enough to pop the round onto the carrier. I'll try to tighten the screws. One thing i need is a decent screwdriver set because I don't have any right now. Can anybody make any recommendations for a screwdriver so I can tighten them? What size screws does the Marlin use so I can get some appropriate screwdrivers?
Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'll venture to guess the next Round in the Magazine Tube is stuck on the end of the Carrier
You'll need to remove the Lever Screw
Slide the Lever out and remover the Bolt
That will release the Carrier
You can then push it down, so you can remover any Rounds still in the Magazine Tube
The Older Style Carrier (on Rifles not marked for .38 sp) had issues with some 38 sp Rounds that where a bit too short
If this IS the case, you may need to look into replacing the Old Carrier with the New Style (PN: F410239)
Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
If all the above fails and you can not get it to work properly, stop aggravating your self with it, sell it to me :biggrin:

Jack

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll venture to guess the next Round in the Magazine Tube is stuck on the end of the Carrier
You'll need to remove the Lever Screw
Slide the Lever out and remover the Bolt
That will release the Carrier
You can then push it down, so you can remover any Rounds still in the Magazine Tube
The Older Style Carrier (on Rifles not marked for .38 sp) had issues with some 38 sp Rounds that where a bit too short
If this IS the case, you may need to look into replacing the Old Carrier with the New Style (PN: F410239)
Hope this helps
That seems to be it! The carrier had the round pressed up against it and wouldn't lift. Why is this? If the round is too short, why does it protrude enough to jam up?
Gun was a 2008 manufacture.
Now I had a new problem where I put some .38 snap caps in to cycle. After cycling 2, no more came up. Look in, and I dont see the follower...the round was pushed about 1/2" or more into the mag tube...looks like the spring didn't "spring" back.

All of these jams have been cured thus far by pushing the round in the magazine out with my tiny screwdriver. This freed up the lever thankfully.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Lazarus stated in his original post a particular problem and how he solved it each time it occurred.

DenStinett described Lazarus situation and another way he prefers to resolve it.

But, IF there is NO cartridge already on the carrier (as stated in the original post), what is causing the cartridge from only sticking its rim portion out onto the carrier? I mean, if there is no cartridge on the carrier, the whole cartridge should have fed onto the carrier and not just stuck with the rim protruding.

Each time a round is fed onto the carrier, the RIM of the next round in the portal always presses against the front of the carrier. A rim in the magazine portal pressing against the front of the carrier is how its suppose to be.
A rim protruding out enough to stop the carrier from coming up is NOT how its suppose to be.

And a rim protruding out enough onto the carrier when there IS NOT another cartridge on the carrier appears to be a problem other than a carrier issue.

Lazarus, if there IS NOT a round on the carrier and the round coming thru the portal only allows the rim to protrude onto the carrier, Something is causing your problem that you haven't solved yet. Actually, when the carrier is in its down position (lever fully closed) the round in the portal is suppose to feed out far enough where you can see its rim at the loading gate position.

The initial things I would look for that causes this problem would be:
broken or weak magazine tube spring
crude in the mag tube that hinders rounds from pushing thru
a damaged mag tube follower.
a minimally spec'd portal hole
an over spec'd rim on the round thats stuck in the portal.
There is also a possibility that your mag tube could be bent or dented.
NOTE: the over spec'd rim in the portal will not be the rim that is protruding onto the carrier. It would probably be the round behind it, hindering its push thru.
Anytime the carrier falls down into its lower position, if there is a round in the portal and there is enough room for the rim to come thru, that should also indicate that there is enough room for the complete round to feed thru.

You can visit Brownells website or check out their catalog and find info on good screwdrivers. I like Brownells mag tip type screwdrivers and tips.

Best regards

..........Widder

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well Gents, it's not the Magazine Tube or its Spring / Follower
And it's not the Round as much as it's the Carrier that causes this
With the Old Style Carrier, OAL does play into it though
But it's not the Round in the Magazine Tube, it's the Leading Round on the Carrier that is short, allowing the following Round to come out of the Mag Tube too far
Once the Carrier starts its upward cycle, it's committed and will not move, up or down
The Old Style Carrier does not cam-around the Round that is protruding (usually just the Rim) from the Mag Tube, as the New Style Carrier will

·
Registered
567 Posts
Howdy DenStinett,

Yes, and this is what is confusing about the original posters description. Lazarus states that there is "No shell on the carrier".....

If there isn't a round on the carrier, what's causing the problem that Lazarus is having.

I follow you and agree with you on your assessment of short rounds and the leading round being on the carrier. But again, Lazarus stated that there wasn't a round on the carrier in his original post.

Oh well, I've posted what I thought might help him solve his problem based on his description of his problem. Thats all I know how to do.

Best regards

..........Widder

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey Widder:
Can't answer that
BUT, in my senerio, the Lead Round is free to rattle out through the Open Ejector Port, leaving the jammed Carrier stuck at the bottom of the Receiver

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yes again. And if Lararus had posted his situation such as your scenario, I would have reply in the manner of which you did.

But when he threw that curve ball in saying there wasn't a round on the carrier, to me that eliminated what most folks call the 'Marlin Jam'.

Anyhow, I've spent tooooo much time with this rabbit so I think I'll move along.

Hope everyone has a good Monday. I'm off today and I'm gona celebrate by working on a Marlin and enjoying this beautiful sunshine we have here in E.TN.

..........Widder

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank-you guys for your replies and input! It is a puzzler for sure. It really took me by surprise to see that the spring had depressed and had a round stuck into the mag tube.
It's extremely difficult to replicate this jam, it just happens randomly. I try working the Marlin from extreme angles, slowly, even upside down, and it usually cycles no problemo.

My only full solution is that I sent an e-mail to a local cowboy action gunsmith who specializes in lever-actions. I am going to request that he put in a new mag spring, metal follower, do preventative maintenance on the carrier so it doesn't develop the "Marlin jam", and just tune this gun up for reliability. I will have to order some gunsmith screwdrivers to take it apart and give it a good cleaning every so often, too.
I want to ensure this Marlin will be trouble-free for my grandkids whenever that happens (gotta have KIDS first haha).

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Sure sounds like a awful lot of money to be spent just to use snap caps. Does the gun do this when cycling regular rounds through it? Are these snap caps made of aluminum, solid plastic, or have a brass rim on them? Almost sounds like there are now shavings of plastic in the magazine tube causing the spring to bind. If you think about it, being forced past a loading gate, being slammed into a chamber, yanked out by a extractor and them flipped out by the ejector would be pretty rough on plastic snap caps, if that is what they are.

Have you thought about getting a set of 357 mag snap caps? They do make them.... these are solid aluminum.

A-ZOOM Action Proving Dummy Round Snap Cap 357 Mag Package of 6

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sure sounds like a awful lot of money to be spent just to use snap caps. Does the gun do this when cycling regular rounds through it? Are these snap caps made of aluminum, solid plastic, or have a brass rim on them? Almost sounds like there are now shavings of plastic in the magazine tube causing the spring to bind. If you think about it, being forced past a loading gate, being slammed into a chamber, yanked out by a extractor and them flipped out by the ejector would be pretty rough on plastic snap caps, if that is what they are.

Have you thought about getting a set of 357 mag snap caps? They do make them.... these are solid aluminum.

A-ZOOM Action Proving Dummy Round Snap Cap 357 Mag Package of 6
I use these Dummy Rounds (with a Spent Primmer in the Pocket), and they work GREAT
They come in all the right "Rounds" for my needs:
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...ies/centerfire-handgun-dummies-prod40860.aspx

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Thank-you guys for your replies and input! It is a puzzler for sure. It really took me by surprise to see that the spring had depressed and had a round stuck into the mag tube.
It's extremely difficult to replicate this jam, it just happens randomly. I try working the Marlin from extreme angles, slowly, even upside down, and it usually cycles no problemo.

My only full solution is that I sent an e-mail to a local cowboy action gunsmith who specializes in lever-actions. I am going to request that he put in a new mag spring, metal follower, do preventative maintenance on the carrier so it doesn't develop the "Marlin jam", and just tune this gun up for reliability. I will have to order some gunsmith screwdrivers to take it apart and give it a good cleaning every so often, too.
I want to ensure this Marlin will be trouble-free for my grandkids whenever that happens (gotta have KIDS first haha).
All you've proven is that those particular snap caps don't work through the carbine's action. Got news for you, those are NOT action proving dummies, they're made for dry-firing revolvers, so have no particular critical dimensions other than they fit a revolver cylinder and don't drag too much. No guarantee that the rim diameter is the same as factory ammo and they sure don't have the same weight or weight distribution. Before going off and spending a bundle on action work that may or may not be needed, get some factory 158gr ammo and see if that works through the action. Will certainly be cheaper.

As far as "extras" like a metal magazine follower, these are not needed, the plastic one works quite well and the orange shows up in low light to show that the gun is empty and nothing is hanging in the magazine. I've had one 1894 since the late 80s and the follower has not cracked or jammed. Metal is not necessarily better for that application and something like aluminum can rot and jam up with enough humidity. If you really want to do something useful, take the end cap off, clean the tube out, wax it inside and out, clean and wax the follower and spring. Repeat once a year if you hunt with it. There are few parts in the action and you have to really try hard to put it back together wrong, a gunsmith is really not needed to work on it. Brownell's has a subset of their MagnaTip screwdriver bits just for Marlins, they run about $9-10 for the set last I saw them. Those and a $1 hollow handle magnetic stub screwdriver from HD are all you need to get the gun completely stripped, should you desire. I keep mine in my shooting kit at the range and in my pocket when hunting.

Stan S.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts