Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what the twist rate of a 1894C, 38/357 with ballard rifling would be?

Do you think it would take a lot of velocity to stabilize a 185gr Beartooth bullet?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Twist rate is 1 in 16". Wouldn't know about stabilizing a 185gr bullet as a 158 is as heavy as I've got a use for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
anyone know the twist rate for micro groove? thanks! im a fan of cast performance 18o grain gs. and wondering if the microove rifling will agree with it. any one have experience with this combo?

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I believe the twist rate is the same with Microgroove. Don't fall for the old myth that cast bullets won't work with Microgroove. Done right, they work darned good.

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
I'm just basing this on what I've seen posted through the years, but I think that twist rate will stabilize anything up to about 190 grains without running them too hard, part of it depends on the length of the shank, and not just the weight.

I'm getting ready to work up some 357 loads with the Nosler 180 (non-expanding flat-point) and maybe some of the Remington 180 JHP's, I'll let you know how that turns out. It's been awhile since I shot any bowling pins, but in 38 caliber I doubt there's a better bullet for taking pins off the table with a solid hit. 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts