Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my Big 5 1894C in 357 (18" barrel, ballard rifling, plain hardwood stocks) out the range today to see what it would do with a box of Fedral 180g HP. The first shot at 25 yards was very promising, right at 12 o'clock center ring. The next was an inch higher, the next that height and slightly right. 3 shot group 1.5" with factory sights sitting on the ground, no bench.

Next 5 shots went into 3" at 50 yards about centered 5" higher strung vertically and 2" right of center. I clicked the sight down a notch and I'm still high and my group opens up to 5"

I click it down to the lowest notch and I'm still grouping above my aim point at 50 yards. Groups range from 3-1/2 to 6" slightly off center.

The factory sights are difficult to use with my 40+ year old eyes. They are also difficult to adjust for windage with any precision.

The Fedral Factory 180g JHP ammo cycled easily. I didn't really notice the recoil but my brother said it pushed me back and lifted the barrel a little. After he said that I was a little more aware but it wasn't punishing at all. a quick little shove. It left nice clean round holes in the paper.

I am considering trying a williams peep sight I have on my 336 to see if it will fit or buying a peep sight for this fun little carbine. I'd hate to put a scope on it as I really like the way it handles and it's compactness. Hopefully that will tighten up the groups and allow me to center them where I want them on the paper.

I'd also like to try some handloads for it. Does anyone have an accurate hunting load?

I'm tempted to try it for the little coastal blacktails we have around here. Our WETside forests are thick and this carbine would be a pleasure to carry and stalk with.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
A good hunting load is 18.0 grains of Lil' Gun under the 158 grain Hornady FP/XTP.

There are a couple of good threads on mounting aperture sights on the 1894 in this forum. Do a search or scroll back a page or two and you'll find them. Basically, sights made for the 336 will not fit the 1894 without drilling.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks imashooter2! What sort of velocity does that load produce?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Wet Dog said:
Thanks imashooter2! What sort of velocity does that load produce?
I get 1,867 fps average out of my 1894C, but a couple of folks have told me I have a slow rifle and they are getting over 2,000 fps with the same load. Make sure you use the FP/XTP and not the HP. It is a lot tougher bullet and will hold together better at the higher carbine velocities.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts