Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, bifocals make peep sights (my favorite) kinda tough during intense shooting drills on the range and hunting in the woods these days............. I really hate to break up the clean lines of this rifle but something needs to happen due to maturity onset (better then saying I can't see anymore). I wish there was a quality, straight-tube, 1X available but that isn't going to happen these days with the obsession over Huble Telescopic systems geared toward the latest hyper cartridge that assimilates something that P.O. Ackley already accomplished long before the Hudson Hornet was created! SO, what say you? ;)

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
What about just a basic 4x32 no zoom? I have the same issue with OLD EYES. I can see the targets perfectly but am nearsighted from from nose to about just past the end of my arms, or the front sight!

I am considering something for my CSS .357 that have factory sights - bottom of picture. I have another CSS .357 that I do have a 3-9x40 on (the one under my 1894SS .44 Magnum).

and the rest of the family:

GB45

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I normally shot the 1894C close-up and find that having both eyes open with ample field of view very helpful. The red-dots work well for me but they just seem clunky on this rifle?

·
Registered
287 Posts
My 1894CS is fitted with a Nikon Prostaff 2-7X. Great optics, and I don't think that it ruins the lines of the rifle at all. Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm pleased.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My 1894c wears a Bushnell Compact 2x8x28mm (out of production). It clears the rear sight with low mounts, doesn't have those really large objective lens' of the 32mm+++ type scopes and is really clear. Very easy to use with both eyes open on 2x, duplex reticule and gives me sub 1" groups at 50 yards with the 8x magnification. If you can find one online, this type of scope may be what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
How about one of those skinny fixed shotgun sights? Or a rimfire type sight as mentioned.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
I do not think traditional PEEP sights would help much in OUR OLD GUY EYES situation. I like the idea of a small 1x or 2x optic like that. That "Leupold Tactical Prismatic Rifle Scope" is a bit pricey at $500 but the FX-II around $260 is not so bad. I will look around for other similar options.

GB45

·
Banned
430 Posts
I've much experience with the 357 in rifles. I've found this rifle to be an excellent 125 yard max rifle both ballistically and terminally. I think a Burris 4X timberline is all thats needed to prevent the "Hubble telescope" effect. I think the 2.5's make it a bit harder to get surgical groups at 125 yards.

I think with some real low Talley rings and a small 4X, you'll love the looks.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a 2-7x33 Leupold VX-1 that has bounced around on my Marlins, currently on the 1894CL 25-20. I would suggest one of these on a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33, on 2x it is very quick, and on 7x you can see your bullet holes on paper at 100 yds.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
I did not want to scope any of my Marlin levers but I really was having a hard time with my eyes so I went with a scout scope. I prefer these, both in appearance on a levergun as well as having the ability to quickly remove the scope and have a peep sight already in place and sighted in. This one is a 2.75x NcStar that I got to see how I would like it. I may replace it with an American made scope someday, but have to admit this one works quite well! It has made all the difference.

·
Banned
430 Posts
Blacksan,

Those pics posted represent individual taste but a couple look like the Hubble and the hubble mounting hardware ;D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LuckenbachTexas said:
Blacksan,

Those pics posted represent individual taste but a couple look like the Hubble and the hubble mounting hardware ;D
Shhhh, don't forget he can't see either!

PS What pictures? ;D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts