Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first lever gun has arrived! It's nice and clean for an early 1980's rifle.

I only have some American Eagle, 38 cal, round nose, 130 grain Full Metal Jacket on hand. Any idea how that kind of load will do in this barrel at 50 yards? I don't have my press set up yet for 38/357.

Also, I'd like to put a Burris Fastfire on there for pig hunting. Are there any mounts available that would allow me to only use the 2 available holes on top and keep the Williams sight in place? I could have something like seen in post #3 made. But, off the shelf would be faster.
Quick question on Fastfire 3 mount - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Do you guys use slings with these carbines? If so, I'd appreciate suggestions for slings and the best way to mount.

I don't know anything about these guns. I'd be interested to see if you guys have any suggestions.

Thanks for your help,
Dave

Someone did a nice job on the hand cut checkering.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Beautiful rifle! :congrats:Off hand, I can't think of any mount that would be compatible with the Williams aperture sight. It alone should do well out to 100 yards. Hard to say how the 130gr loads will perform as every rifle has it's load preference and the only way to find out what it likes is to shoot various brands of ammunition. With hand loading, it's load development and range time to see what's best.

To sling the carbine, an option is to use the stud type that clamps around the mag tube. The rear stud should be placed about two inches from the butt of the stock. DON'T drill through the "bullseye" if one is mounted in the butt stock!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Wow, way to go starting out with a lever, congrats :congrats: Nice wood as well.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Your rifle looks NIB and will serve you well for a lifetime. As a friend told me when I bought mine , it's about the funnest gun you can own. It's like shooting a BB gun on steroids so now you spend the rest of your life searching for ammo for it or you can start to reload as it will eat lots of ammo very quickly.

·
Registered
545 Posts
very nice rifle, looks like new.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Nice lookin rifle, and some fine photos. Congrats on your,first lever gun. :tee:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, thanks for the replies. I'm glad it passes the test.
Thank you Oblio13 for the link. I didn't see that one in my search.
I see that Burris makes one for the Marlin 336, 444, 1895 pre-drilled and tapped. Would the holes on that one fit the 1894?
http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/FastFire_base_instr.pdf
They suggest mounting it further back which makes since for field of view.

I appreciate the help.
Dave

PS. I appreciate the inpuat GaCop about not mounting through the bullseye. I thought that was the spot for a stud. What kind of sling do you guys like? Also, any suggestions for a
stud type that clamps around the mag tube? Mahalo!

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
Beauty rifle ya got there. Can't help with the mount as I went with a skinner and new front sight and never looked back.

As for loads, I wont post any here as they are all available in published form anyway....but will say that I stick to the slower burning pistol powders (read: magnum powders, h110, lil gun, 2400) and such in the rifle. They really take advantage of the long barrel, and take the .357 mag into another class.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
They'll do fine. I just fired off a box the other night. At 50 yards standing, they fired true.

·
Premium Member
15,432 Posts
Very nice lookin' rifle

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Nice! Enjoy!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Weaver makes a base that fits both the 336 and 1894. Two options; 1. you could remove the Williams peep and install any red dot with a Weaver/Picatiny mount or 2. Cut down the Weaver mount and use front part only, smooth up and refinish where cuts are. As my eyes ain't what they used to be (I tend to see two front beads through the peep), I pulled the peep off my 1894SS, put on a Weaver rail and a Bushnel TR25 on the front part of the rail. It's small, inexpensive (less than a C-note), and works great.

·
Banned
1,149 Posts
You might want to leave it as is, but here's what I did with mine.... Dump the 5D sight and get a FoolProof (F-P 94-36 receiver sight) sight and install an elevation knob one of those elevation lock down knobs, then get a XS Scout scope mount that you can either mount a scout scope on or one of those ghost ring sights (the electric ones), then file down the sides of the front sight beads so's it's flat on both sides and fill the hole that the brass bead used to be in with some black plastic epoxy type stuff. That way you have a finer post to look at through the receiver sight. YMMV, HTH

BTW, like others have said, you gonna have a blast with it, I know I am!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey, thanks fellas.

I took it to the range today and my results were not that good. It was very windy, maybe 30+ mph gusts...consistent heavy side wind. Little tornado like swirls once in a while. When half of my target flew away I called it quits. I only fired 15 rounds. (By the way I was shooting American Eagle, 38, 130gr. FMJ round nose.)

I'm not sure what kind of groups I was getting because half of the rounds missed my target. One round hit my frame. I had a steady bench and rest. I'm sure the wind had something to do with it but I was only shooting at 50 yards.

The aperture on the sight was on the large side. But, I think I had it lined up well with my middle aged eyes. I know the round was shooting to the left and high. I have shot 10 meter air rifle with an aperture sight so it wasn't my first time with those. But for load development I've already pulled the rear sight and ordered a couple of bases to try with my Fastfire red dot sight.

I'm not really bummed...it's just part of the journey with a new gun. Part of the fun and challenge.

I'm into accuracy. What kind of accuracy should I expect with the proper load at 50 yards?

Time to set up my press for 357. I can't find Lil Gun. I have Titegroup, Silhouette, Accurate 1680, and HP38 on hand. Are any of these known to shoot well in this gun?

Take care,
Dave

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh, I have one other carbine question. The length of pull is a little short for me. My LOP is 14 1/4". Is the LOP shorter on these guns for speed? In other words is there any reason not to extend it so I get about 14"? Being in Hawaii...I won't be wearing a jacket.
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
356 Posts
Howdy Dave and welcome to the Forum from Tulsa, OK. That's a nice shooter you picked up there. If you're shooting at Koko Head, I realize you're limited to the distances they set. But if you can try somewhere else and start off with 25 yards and work from there. I know KBay sometimes has a free shoot day for active duty, family members and civ workers once a month. Maybe you can set up something there and shoot at different distances. You can also try the Schofield Rod and Gun Club, they have a nice range out there and you can set up at distances to suit your needs.

If you check out the Hodgen's website, they have load data for .357 mag. I know powder is even harder to get where you are but if you already have HP38 it should be fine. You'll find that HP38 and Winchester 231 are the same load as well as H110 and Winchester 296. I've also used Unique, Bullseye, and Clay's. With so little powder available, you learn to adapt. You'll get it, just take your time. Hope this helps.

Russ

Hey, thanks fellas.

I took it to the range today and my results were not that good. It was very windy, maybe 30+ mph gusts...consistent heavy side wind. Little tornado like swirls once in a while. When half of my target flew away I called it quits. I only fired 15 rounds. (By the way I was shooting American Eagle, 38, 130gr. FMJ round nose.)

I'm not sure what kind of groups I was getting because half of the rounds missed my target. One round hit my frame. I had a steady bench and rest. I'm sure the wind had something to do with it but I was only shooting at 50 yards.

The aperture on the sight was on the large side. But, I think I had it lined up well with my middle aged eyes. I know the round was shooting to the left and high. I have shot 10 meter air rifle with an aperture sight so it wasn't my first time with those. But for load development I've already pulled the rear sight and ordered a couple of bases to try with my Fastfire red dot sight.

I'm not really bummed...it's just part of the journey with a new gun. Part of the fun and challenge.

I'm into accuracy. What kind of accuracy should I expect with the proper load at 50 yards?

Time to set up my press for 357. I can't find Lil Gun. I have Titegroup, Silhouette, Accurate 1680, and HP38 on hand. Are any of these known to shoot well in this gun?

Take care,
Dave

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Russ, sounds like you know your way around all the shooting spots on Oahu. When did you move to OK?
Dave

·
Registered
356 Posts
Moved around Jan 2013 just in time to greet the snow! Lot better shooting here, less restrictive than what you're dealing with.

Thanks Russ, sounds like you know your way around all the shooting spots on Oahu. When did you move to OK?
Dave

1 - 20 of 26 Posts