Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395796048.190290.jpg

Any way to improve the fit of the bolt on an 1894c. This one is in fantastic shape but the bolt sticks out just a bit when fully closed. I plan on trying to "slick" the action up a bit by doing some polishing, etc. Just wondered if, when I have it apart, is there a particular spot I should look for to tighten this tolerance a bit. I'm perfectly happy with it either way, just curious if it could be improved upon.

Thanks for reading!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Might add the front of the bolt fits tight against the bolt opening.

IIRC

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
Looks about average to me. Seen some a little better, and many more worse. My first year 1979 1894 (no 'C') .357 looks just like yours. It's a great gun, don't dump her just because of that. The design of the gun makes it just abouit impossible to make that fit perfect in an way that we could ever afford one. What year is it? AC

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey thanks guys, very good to know! It's a 2003 model I think. I was just curious really, I'm a budding gunsmith/tinkerer and I can't help but look at a thing and not think about improving on it if possible. This is my 2nd or 3rd Marlin lever gun but my first 1894 model. I LOVE IT and have no plans on 'dumping her' anytime soon!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I had one that was worse than that, it really bugged me. I took it apart and with the trigger plate off I put the bolt in and could see inside where the bolt face made contact with the back of the barrel. The little "nubs" on the front of the bolt seemed a little long so I carefully polished them down with an Arkansas stone. Eventually I was able to get the bolt to close all the way. It worked out great.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

That is the head space adjustment.....leave it alone. The breech block is changed to adjust head space in these rifles. A thicker breech block make the bolt set back more and extend out the back of the receiver a bit. Worry about something else....:flute:

That's a great rifle...enjoy it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts