Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1984 mfg. 1894c that has a long ejector. Swapped it out with the shorter one for the 366 and seems to function. Is there a reason for the longer one and is it necessary or is the shorter one the current replacement?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Re: 1894c Ejector question?

Mine has the longer one. It's the only marlin I have that has it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 1894c Ejector question?

brianscott12 said:
Mine has the longer one. It's the only marlin I have that has it.
Same here, all my others (336's, 444's, and 1895) have the short ones. I wonder if that was something they started out with on the 357's and then decided it was not needed or if it is really needed?

·
Registered
632 Posts
My 1979 357 has the long one.My 2008 44 has the short one.My friends 1977 or so 44 has the long one.The cut in the reciever looks the same to me.I have swapped them between guns and they still work.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Since it's the upper leg in those pictures that is timed by the bolt and does the case flipping, there should be no difference in function. All the centerfires I've worked on have had the shorter ejector. Not sure why the long one would even be desireable, it would seem to me that the long leg would be more susceptible to damage. If it gets bent, it'll probably tie up the action. That might be just a theoretical problem. Is it any easier to remove and install with the long leg?

Stan S.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually I find the short spring easier to put in and take out. Just curious as to the reason they used the long spring version.

·
Premium Member
10,945 Posts
Tom in Arizona said:
Actually I find the short spring easier to put in and take out. Just curious as to the reason they used the long spring version.

Tom,

The long spring was used as a cartridge guide. It was discontinued when it was determined to be un-necessary.......What other changes made it un-necessary? I don't know.............The change happened long before I was involved with the '94.

I think I still have a few of the long spring style in my parts boxes.

Tom

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After I put a short one in, I had some chambering problems with 38 Special SWC loads. The edge of the SWC bullet would catch on the edge of the chamber, just pull back the leaver a hair to align it and then right into the chamber. Didn't notice it with the long spring with the same bullet. Will put the long one in again and try it again.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Some of the 44 mags have them too. Like Tomray said its a sorta cartridge guide. I'm thinking its likely more important on the 357 because its smaller & theres more of a bump where the reciever wall meats the chamber. But the new ones dont have it so who knows.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tom in Arizona said:
After I put a short one in, I had some chambering problems with 38 Special SWC loads. The edge of the SWC bullet would catch on the edge of the chamber, just pull back the leaver a hair to align it and then right into the chamber. Didn't notice it with the long spring with the same bullet. Will put the long one in again and try it again.
Just put the long one back in and tried those same rounds and the same problem with the edge of the SWC catching. However did notice that with the long spring it takes more pressure to close the bolt. Maybe that's why they changed to the short one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts