Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a used 1894C. I am somewhat confused on ammo selection for this rifle. I was told not to use total jacketed ammo as it is harder than lead and there is a concern about the bullets setting off a primer in the tube. Also, was told not to use jacketed if using a 38 special as the velocity is to slow with a jacketed bullet due to friction and the bullet may not exit the barrel. My questions are: Can I shoot a jacketed bullet in 38 special from this gun, maybe a soft point or hollow point or should I just stay with the 357 ammo. If that is the case can I shoot jacketed hollow points or soft points without the threat of a primer firing off in the tube. At least with the 357 I know I will have the velocity. If I would be better using lead bullets, can I use round nose lead or do I have to use round nose flat points.I read the post from 357 users on this forum and it appears people are using jacketed bullets. Thanks for any help from this newbie to the lever action world.

Jazzman

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'll try to reply point by point.

I was told not to use total jacketed ammo as it is harder than lead and there is a concern about the bullets setting off a primer in the tube.
If referring to Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) which is usually RN and in .38 Spec (see your other "question" I might buy into this idea. However, I think that as intended it is a crock. All you really need is to ensure that the bullet doesn't have a pointy tip on the primer of the next cartridge in the magazine. The common Flat Points (FP) and Hollow Points (HP) do that well enough.

Also, was told not to use jacketed if using a 38 special as the velocity is to slow with a jacketed bullet due to friction and the bullet may not exit the barrel.
Again, a crock. I use .38s in mine at will. I know some folks who use even Cowboy loads which are VERY anemic getting less than 500 fps from some revolvers. Those might not have enough oomph to get out of the barrel. There are some I'd not recommend but your run-of-the-mill .38 Special load will do very well. The Federal FBI load gets 1100 fps from my carbine.

In general, beware of the self-appointed expert who really knows nothing, aka "blowhard".

Lots of good loads out there for this carbine which is a great gun. You'll really enjoy it (even if you do have to ask questions! :wink: ).

Just FYI, but IIRC it took a 6 foot barrel to catch a .38 S&W bullet. that round is about as anemic as the .38 Special Cowboy loads.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm not to crazy about the idea of shooting round nose FMJ bullets in the 1894C, for the reason of "possibly" setting off a round.

Other than that, "any" 38 special, or 357 magnum load will be fine as long as they're loaded with pistol bullets(jacketed, or lead).

As far as sticking a bullet in the barrel, well, that's just pure out bull! I've loaded 38 specials so slow that you could actually see the bullet leaving the barrel just like the old Daisy BB guns(seriously!). I'm talking about muzzle velocities slightly under 300 fps. I wouldn't reccomend this though, as it wreaks havoc on the upper part of your chamber from flame cutting.

I know!

38s aren't "supposed" to cut the chamber, at least that's the common concensus among shooters. I can assure anybody out there though, that you can absolutely cut a groove in the chamber with low powered 38s. Not only that, but with the right reduced 38 load, you can cut a very deep groove in less that 100 rounds. It'll cut a groove in the upper third of the chamber. I had to actually prove this to a fellow last summer, and now he's a firm believer, as his 1894C has a very nice groove in the chamber.

G

·
Thanks for the advice guys. I was hoping that most of the things I had heard are myths, or maybe just some over cautious advice in the reloading manual that I was looking at. That is why I come to this forum for the straight scoop. This Marlin thing is contagious, I was looking at some 39A rimfires at the gun show today. Thanks again,

Jazzman

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Anonymous said:
This Marlin thing is contagious, I was looking at some 39A rimfires at the gun show today. Jazzman
Oh, man - you need a couple of those......a 39A and a Mountie....Of all the guns I have, NONE are as much fun - and cheap to shoot.

Shum8

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yep, I just bought a Mountie. (to accompany my 336T & 1894C) :roll:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Jazzman,

I'm kind of new to the Marlin as well and not an expert either. Check the posts on both "Big Bore" and "336" for info on the 1894C. This forum is fairly new and posts were spread between the other two until reciently.

My NIB "C's" manual called out "No Blazer Ammo." When we got to the range the first time I couldn't remember Blazer or Glaser and ended up with a box of the former. Even it cycled OK but one did not feed and left a round on the lifter (fed second time?). Anyway we're pretty careful; I was counting and my son also noticed too before the carbine made it to the bench in front of us. No harm done or problem of any sort but the Blazer ammo is off the list.

A lot of guys seem to like the heaver bullets, 158gr to 180gr. I've been leaning to the 158gr SJSP in both 357m and 38sp for general plinking as they cost about the same as anything else. You may want to try several and see what your's likes. I picked up some 38 Special JHP +P for home defense should the 1894 need to be pressed into service (I would prefer 911 first and a 12gauge second).

For hunting I've been looking for the recommended Win. Partition Gold 180gr but looks like I'll have to order some as no one seems to carry it locally. A friend just pick up some 165gr (?) MJSP 357m +P from the Hunting Shack for me to try.

BTW, great little rifle and we have had no problem with either 38sp or 357m in sjsp or jhp.

Grug

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jazzman, what I'd like to know is where did you find the used 1894C? :shock:

That is exactly what I am looking for and they seem to be very rare in western KY. Apparently, folks buy 'em and keep 'em.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Jazzman, what part of southern Ohio? I got family in Cambridge and used to spend alot of time there. I hear the bear are coming back in down around the river.

G

·
Hey NoBite,
I found my 1894C at a gun show in Dayton, Ohio. Used but in great shape,
guy would not budge off the 325.00 price, but I was happy to get it as I have been looking for awhile.

Tubby,
I am near Cincinnati about 15 miles north of KY. and about 20 miles East of IN.

Jazzman

G

·
Hey NoBite,
I found my 1894C at a gun show in Dayton, Ohio. Used but in great shape,
guy would not budge off the 325.00 price, but I was happy to get it as I have been looking for awhile.

Tubby,
I am near Cincinnati about 15 miles north of KY. and about 20 miles East of IN.

Jazzman

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
There's one at a local shop on consignment for 265....but it looks like he drug it around on a rope :p The bore's ok and it's tight. If it's still there this weekend, I'll offer 190 and see what happens. (A local chain, Big 5, sells these for 299 a couple times a month...."hardwood" stock, but otherwise the same as other 1894s......44, 45, 30-30 too)

·
Registered
957 Posts
I would be very leary of using jacketed bullets at less than standard .38 velocities. It's just too hard to get a stuck one out, and too easy to use cast bullets for such loads.

I dunno about the groove with .38 Specials thing. I have put .38 WC by the thousand through my Maxed Handi and there is no groove. I've had ridges from time to time, but a good brushing takes them right out.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Leftoverdj,
I have to agree with you concerning the "cutting" in the chamber with low powered .38 loads. I have never seen such a thing occur in any revolver that I have shot extensively with any manner of reduced .38 load. The "ring" that builds up at the mouth of the cartridge is all that I have experienced and yep, a good cleaning takes it out.

I suspect that in a wet climate where a person was not cleaning his gun after using such rounds, rust would easily set-in and result in what could easily be mis-identified as "cutting".

How havee you been? I have been gone for a while and hope to stay in touch with everyone now that we have a reliable site.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Factory Ammo Question

Georgia Arms offers a .357 MAG in something called a Plated Semi-jacketed Wadcutter. 158 gr @ 1100 FPS. Price is reasonable. $10.50 a box or $200 for 1,000.

What is a "plated semi-jacketed wadcutter" and will it be okay to shoot in my 1894C?

I like dealing with Georgia Arms. Appreciate your thoughts here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
HELLO JAZZMAN..........You might see a VERY slight ring after the use of 10,000-12,000 rounds of .38 Special(but I doubt it). If so, and this affected how well the rifle shoots...send it back to Marlin and have it rebarrled. After all, I thought the whole ideal was to shoot them enough to wear them out. If you want to keep it as new..do not shoot it! This "cutting thing" got started aroung the turn of the century and the use of corrosive primed .22" shorts in barrels chambered for .22" long and long rifle in the very soft steel used in .22" barrels then. Take Care

very

·
Registered
688 Posts
Re: Factory Ammo Question

NoBite said:
Georgia Arms offers a .357 MAG in something called a Plated Semi-jacketed Wadcutter. 158 gr @ 1100 FPS. Price is reasonable. $10.50 a box or $200 for 1,000.

What is a "plated semi-jacketed wadcutter" and will it be okay to shoot in my 1894C?

I like dealing with Georgia Arms. Appreciate your thoughts here.
Plated means just that. Instead of a separate jacket cup into which a lead core is inserted before forming the bullet, a swaged bullet is plated with a jacket material. This plating fully encapsulates the lead.

The term "Plated Semi-jacketed Wadcutter" seems a misnomer to me. Perhaps the correct term is "plated semi-wadcutter"? If so, I'd think it would do fine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I just ordered a new 1894C this last week and it is supposed to be at my gun store Friday. Can't wait to sight it in and use it around my ranch in Oklahoma. We shoot a lot of coyotes and armadillos there and this rifle ought to do the trick for both.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
A friend of mine has been looking for a good used 1894C for at least six months, he wants one cheap and I keep telling him to forget it and buy the first one he sees. There is no such thing as a cheap used 1894C unless it's been badly abused. And as we who have them know, there is no better fun gun on the planet! Sell mine? Don't even think about asking, it ain't gonna happen. My kids have been told that if they inherit any of my Marlins, there is one catch........they can't ever sell them, period, end of story. The only thing that could make the 1894C any better is to see it in stainless! (Marlin, are you listening? Pleeeeeease?)

Papajohn

·
Registered
11 Posts
papajohn - I just shot my 1894C yesterday for the first time. WOW! Why did I wait so long to get one? 8) This is one fun rifle!

Some folks have said they don't like the hooded front sight. The guy at the gun shop said that. I found the hood to be helpful. I don't plan to modify this rifle at all. Let R rip!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts