Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering the purchase of an 1894C (used) and something I noticed on GB is the pre-safety barrels only have 357 cal. stamped on the barrel and no mention of 38 special as the newer ones do.

Is it okay to shoot 38's from the older guns that don't have 38 special marked on the barrel ?

thanks in advance,

jeffr72

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Any gun that can shoot 357 ammo will also handle the 38 Special. In revolvers they are interchangable, but in a levergun one usually (but not always) feeds better than the other. It took my newest 1894C a couple years before it would feed 38's. Now it gobbles them up like candy. My previous 1894C never seemed to care what I fed it, and I could fill the mag tube with a mix of 38's and 357's.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
papajohn said:
Any gun that can shoot 357 ammo will also handle the 38 Special. In revolvers they are interchangable, but in a levergun one usually (but not always) feeds better than the other. It took my newest 1894C a couple years before it would feed 38's. Now it gobbles them up like candy. My previous 1894C never seemed to care what I fed it, and I could fill the mag tube with a mix of 38's and 357's.
Preach it brother John !!

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
JeffR72, please excuse our deplorable manners, as none of us have bothered to officially welcome you to the forum. Shame on us all.

Please feel free to pull up a chair, grab the frosty beverage of your choice, and if it suits you, take off your shoes. This is, after all, AlGore's internet, and no one can smell your feet. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Welcome Jeff!

If you don't already, start reloading. That little gun has an appetite like a bird...literally, it will eat twice its own body weight daily if you feed it!

Jon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts