Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi....Just bought a used 1894C awhile back....Got to thinking that it would be fun to call few coyotes before spring and use the little Marlin on ground squirrels in late May......My question is what is your best load (vel. & accuracy) for a 110 gr. bullets in your 1894C?....also do these little bullets feed OK in the 94C?....I have done quite abit of loading for the .357mag. with heavy cast when shooting IHMSA years ago but no light bullet loading in a lever....thanks for your help....cheers mic :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've loaded for several 1894C rifles, and have never gotten the 110g bullets to shoot worth a hoot. This was trying a wide range of bullet styles, powders, etc.

You'd be way better off trying to find a good 125g load in my opinion. They generally will give good accuracy untill the velocity gets around 1700 fps, then they usually start becoming a little erratic.

If you're looking for a devestating load on 10-50 lb critters, you might try the 140g XTP-HP. This bullet can easily be loaded to 2000+ fps in these rifles, and at that velocity it's an awsome performer, as well as extremely accurate. I garantee if you try these, you won't be disapointed.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'll second the above opinion. My 1894's in 357 don't shoot light bullets very well at all. I'd start at the 140's and go up. My personal favorites are jacketed 158's and 180's over H110. I don't see any benefit of the 110's over the 158's or bigger. Trajectory won't be that much different given the usefull range and the 110's will probably be very destructive to the hides if that concerns you.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
My 1894C in 357 doesn't shoot the 110g loads I've tried. JHP over 2400. At 50 yards I can hit a sheet of paper but a magazines worth will be end to end and side to side of it. In the 357 mag case they cycled just fine.

In my 1894 the Hornady XTP 158 FP were the best with the HP almost as good. Both Max loads of 2400. I don't remember what they chrono'd at but if I remember correctly it was around 1900 fps. I'll have to check. Even at max charge loads this is a comfortable shoot-all-day load. 2" or less @50 yards. On a good day I can get em in an inch.

I've tried the 158 LSWC in a 38 case and they didn't cycle well. In the 357 case they do fine but I've only plinked with them and haven't gotten to the bench to see how accurate they can be.

180gr shot 5" groups @ 50 yards. I didn't reload anymore after that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information on the the 110 gr. bullets...you all have saved me a lot of grief trying to work up a high vel. lite wt. load....I have load data for the 158's (thanks to this forum) and loads for the 180 & 200 gr. cast from my IHMSA shooting experience in the distant past....Can't wait til spring to get out and shoot this lil' 94... :D ...thanks again mic

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you're wanting a flat shooting, accurate, hard hitting, and destructive load, try the 140g XTP-HP's, and a maximum load of Lil' Gun. It'll make a groundhog look like he swallowed a bomb.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot Jerry... I have 7#'s of LiL'L Gun (they sell it bulk read plastic bag, at a cheaper price up here) and on my next order I'll p-u some 140gr. XTP's...I would bet that bullet will really launch a ground squirrel....I have found that the XTP's are very accurate in other cals...... thanks again mic

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Mic,

A .357 magnum can drop a Buick at 10 yards. If you decide to use the cartridge on the bushy tailed rodents, you will end up with "ground squirrel". :D

Sorry, the devil made me do it,

Jim H

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:lol: :lol: :lol:
GROUND SQUIRREL I get it!....took me about 45 seconds though :oops: :oops: ......mic

·
Registered
9 Posts
I only have around 300 rounds thru my 1894C, I haven't really found the _factory_ round it likes best yet. My rifle may be an exception, but I was a bit surprised to find it shoots factory winchester 110g JHP better than the 158g magtech JSP and JHP, at 100yds no less.

It's been a long time since the Marlin's been to the range, but the wins may have topped other heavier factory loads as well. I know I liked it enough to buy a few more boxes. Better accuracy than the others and cycled no problem. Maybe the winchester components would be workable for a 110g load for the 1894C?

Man, I really gotta start reloading. I don't get the chance to shoot often and must have half a dozen boxes of factory stuff to empty. Meanwhiles the anniversary kit collects dust in the corner...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts