Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't currently own an 1894 - although I did, years and years ago. My Marlins are 444 & 45-70 and a 39D. I walked into my local gun shop the other day and thought I spotted a straight grip 444 or 45-70 in the used gun rack. It turned out to be an 1894 chambered in .44 mag, but had a 2/3 magazine tube. If it was an aftermarket conversion, it was nicely done. Not sure about the barrel length, but probably at least 20". Straight grip, no safety - looked like an older gun in just fair condition. Did Marlin ever make such a variation of the 1894? I'm kind of intrigued...

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
The sporter was a 2/3 mag and 22" barrel. They are not common. Are you sure it was aftermarket?

Papalote

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. I'd say it's the Sporter model...22" barrel sounds about right. It looked like my 444 until I got to the receiver.

Papalote - I didn't know Marlin made this version, having never seen one myself. I speculated that it might have been a conversion, but I believe it's original.

So, what's this thing worth? It has light freckling over much of the metal, but otherwise not abused. They have a $450.00 price tag on it.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Someone with better resources may correct me, but IIRC there were less than 2000 guns made in this configuration. I sold mine to the friend who borrowed it and got his first deer with it. AT $450, I'd have it on the bench being cleaned and de-freckled.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Our local guide to years & numbers (http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,495.0.html)
has this summary for the "1973" productions:
1894 Sporter: 1973-? (1,398) 44 Magnum
22" Round Barrel, 1/2 Magazine
So with <1400 made & having a preference for the older models, I would be inclined to agree with EDK--
although I claim no expertise in pricing/valuing. It should have a serial number starting "27..." for 1973 (?or "26..."=1974).

Peace

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
I remember that article, and I like his writings also. But, all my Gun Digests were lost in the fire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts