Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering either an 1894 or 1894P for a .44 carbine. Would there be any significant ballistic differences between the two barrel lengths?
Any insight between these two would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
688 Posts
There are likely to be greater differences between the 2 than the ports would account for. I'd get whichever appeals. Personally, I don't think the .44 Mag recoils enough to need ports.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I had a 1894P,and personally I didn't like it.I liked the gun but the ports just made it so loud.That it wasn't as fun to shoot as my 1894..I tried shooting it once without hearing protection that was a big mistake. My ears were ringing for two days.I would go with something without ports but thats just my opinion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the 1894P and the 1894CP and am satisfied with both. But i also have 1894 Cowboys in 44 and 357 . And like them just as much.

·
Registered
520 Posts
1) Don't shoot any firearm [if it can be avoided] w/o hearing protection.
2) A ported model vs a non-ported model: decib's are the same.
3) Buy one of each.
4) Velocity loss vs barrel length: there is but I do not recall the approximate numbers.
5) For the range you'll be shooting a 44mag rifle... say this word fast:....4-gett-a-bod-it

·
Registered
311 Posts
GUYS,
I can't imagine a carbine that is more suited for brush hunting than my 20" 1894 44M with Leupold 1x4. I would really like to have the 16" for the BOSS. I have seen some of these great little guns on occaision but they are rare as hen's teeth. Any info on weight,length of pull and capacity would be appreciated. thanks
MUZZLEDUSTER :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the '94p and love it - the ports have nothing to do with supressing recoil, and everything to do with reducting muzzel flip. With my Burris scout and ashely ghost rings, it's a fine little rifle.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Nanook 450 said:
I have the '94p and love it - the ports have nothing to do with supressing recoil, and everything to do with reducting muzzel flip. With my Burris scout and ashely ghost rings, it's a fine little rifle.
Muzzle flip is recoil working the lever (your rifle) against the fulcrum (your shoulder). I still think the .44 Mag isn't enough gun to require ports.

Ports are "louder" in that they redirect the sound more towards the ears. I find them to be uncomfortable. They are even worse if you aren't behind the rifle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have an 1894P. It's about as handy and fun as you can get. It's the perfect rifle for when you're 70% taking a walk in the forrest and 30% hunting. I'd prefer one without the ports. They don't bother me, I just prefer the smother lines without them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hobie said:
Nanook 450 said:
Muzzle flip is recoil working the lever (your rifle) against the fulcrum (your shoulder). I still think the .44 Mag isn't enough gun to require ports.

Ports are "louder" in that they redirect the sound more towards the ears. I find them to be uncomfortable. They are even worse if you aren't behind the rifle.
Call it whatever - maybe muzzle jump? In other words, the rifle jumps up and also pushes back - my understanding is a muzzle break reduces recoil - muzzel ports reduce muzzle jump. Is there no difference to you?

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Had a ported 450, cut and recrowned. There is a difference in the impact on my ears.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
gunpowder said:
There is no scientific proof that a ported firearm is louder!
There is probably the same DB level, but it's coming back at you and that's why it's "louder". I'd love to make the ports go away on my GS!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took my 1894P out last saturday. Saw eight deer two bucks and six doe. Bad news they were over 200 yards away :( Not a shot I'm willing to take with that gun :?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Can I supply the proof. Ported guns are louder to the shooter, and the bystanders. The noise is directed away from straight out in front of you, back at you. Makes the same noise but it is perceived by the shooter to be louder (If you prefer that explanation). Sold my guide gun for that reason, bought one without...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts