Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had 2 of these rifles, bought new years ago, stored away unfired for years for who knows what emergency (at least, that's what I told the wife at the time of purchase :biggrin:). I recently got them out, sold one to help with the daughter's tuition, but just could not let the 2nd one go. Well, today I realized why I kept it...got it to the range and wow, this thing makes me feel like a kid again:marchmellow:. I ran about 150 rounds thru it, mostly lead reloads.

I guess I got lucky with my loads because the warmer rounds I was using were true to point of aim at 50-75 yds, which is where I like to sight brush guns. I polished the bore before firing it, and shot mostly a .432" diameter 240gr lead RNFP bullet over 25 grains of 300-MP and the same bullet over 11 grains of Herco. The 300-MP load is a real thumper...no idea how fast it is moving out of that long barrel, but Alliant's data says it is ~1570 fps out of a revolver (although no barrel length is given). I think this may end up being an excellent hunting load...also shot some 240gr XTP's over the same charge and over 20 grains of 2400 and got excellent results. I was getting ~ 1.5" groups at 75 yds off a table with iron sights, which is pretty good for my old eyes.

The best part of the day, however, was that there was ALMOST NO LEADING. I fully expected to get some streaks from pushing the bullet that hard, but only a tiny flake or two in the entire length of the barrel...couldn't believe it. I guess this gun really likes that .432" RNFP!

Sorry for the long-winded rant...just wanted to share my excitement while I'm still feeling like a young man...I'll be a grumpy old man again in the AM.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
It is always to have a day at the range. Nice thread thanks for sharing with us. Sometimes it does the heart good to rant.

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

Reactions: Jlr2267

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Sounds like your rifle likes those loads, so I would stick with them.
I use home made bullets - Lyman # 429244GC (approximately 240 gr.) (@ Lyman #2 alloy hardness for hunting) over 23.5 grains of W296/H110 powder, ignited with a CCI 350 primer in mixed cases. This load gives me good hunting accuracy out of all my 44Mag rifles and handguns and has plowed through all the deer I shot with this load.

Jack

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like your rifle likes those loads, so I would stick with them.
I use home made bullets - Lyman # 429244GC (approximately 240 gr.) (@ Lyman #2 alloy hardness for hunting) over 23.5 grains of W296/H110 powder, ignited with a CCI 350 primer in mixed cases.

Jack
H110 is my favorite, couldn't find any, so I picked up some 300-MP a few months ago. It is a good magnum powder and, in my opinion, I think it rivals H110...they seem very similar, but 300-MP can be downloaded some, and does not need a magnum primer (although i found it DID need one when loaded in a 45 Colt case). You should try some if you have trouble finding the regulars.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I will second what sniper said....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts