·
Super Moderator
6,561 Posts
$16.50-Colt Govt .45 auto 1917

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Believe this (found on the web) came out of a Rifleman from 1934, in the teeth of the Great Depression. My parents' rent was $25 a month and there were times they had trouble getting that up. I have several Rifleman issues from 1939 (the year I was born); prices really hadn't gone up. Everything is relative, I suppose, so what people are paying for Marlins these days isn't that outrageous. My interest goes back to the early 60's, and believe me, prices have gone up since then.

My scanner died. Otherwise I could come up with several more interesting items

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
That was probably some Estate Sale!

DD

Reactions: Mike Leck

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
A 32-20 for 14 bucks!!I wish!! That would be GTM for sure! Lol...

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Thankfully they're not still $14.00---- if they were--- there would be none available---- all would have been bought up long ago. I would wish for the simpler time of that era though. As I sit here and send my thoughts through the air to places and people I'll never visit ---------------------------on a telephone of all things.

Steve

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Wages back in the day are interesting. Dad received a dollar a day in WW 2, thus I believe the term "buck private".
But reading a book "the big burn" of a huge forest fire, up in OR ID and parts of NV, around the 1912 era, it reported that the then newly minted Forest Service guys were making several times the average miner/ranch hand/logger pay of that era.

I guess it was good to be a govt employee even then.:biggrin:

And that was when a buck was still a buck. The average person, simply did not have much hard money.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I love looking at these old adds. I think Dad said he paid something like $4 for his trapdoor ( brother ended up with it ) and it came with an ammo pouch and 500 rounds of ammo. Also no silly shipping to a FFL. 15 kentuckys and 5 Win 73's for $125 total. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Mike Leck
1 - 9 of 9 Posts