Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I bought a scope today for my 1894-44mag. I looked at Nikon, Redfield and Leupold. I went with the Leupold in V-1 with 2x7x33. It looks nice and trim on the rifle. I had Millet steal scope rings in low and with the base looks real good. The only problem I had is that the scope hung up for a few shots until I figured out what it was doing. I few gentle taps with a very small rubber mallet [ the mallet size at the tip is the size of a nickle]. The scope responded and its sighted in at 50 yards dead on. Now firearm dear season is 6 weeks away! I will go to the range a few more times for practice. I'm really liking this rifle the more I shoot it!

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
The Vari-X I has a little different adjustment system that more expensive Leupold lines. With any scope it is always a good idea to tap the knob with the heel of your hand just to ensure that it has settled int one of the detents on the adjustment dial inside the scope.
I have the same scope in a Vari-X II on my 450 Marlin and really like it. I like the 33mm scopes as they sit lower on the gun and still offer good clarity at max magnification. I prefer peep sights on a lever gun but here in PA we have an antler restriction so a scope is nice to check point numbers without having to lower binoculars and then raise the gun again in the hopes that the buck stood still and the shot has not been lost.
I am not one for the low 2x power but others really like it. Mine I keep set at 4X and turn it up as needed. When on 2x, I find the ghost image of the front sight to be distracting.
My dream scope would be a 4-7x 33mm, but so far that does not exist.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use to buy fixed 4 power until it was cheaper to buy the variables and they seam to stay on 4 power always!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have two of the Weaver 4x shotgun scopes.Wish I would have bought a half dozen of them.I think they are about perfect size and power for a 1894.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts