Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious for those of you with a 357....what the heck do you use it for? I have a 444P and an 1894 in 44 Mag. It's funny, I had wanted the 444 for years, but now carry the 44 ten times as much. So my next purchase is betwixt a 30-30, 35 Rem, and a 357. I don't do cowboy action....just hunting and lots of plinking.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I took my 1894CP in 357 with me this morning when I hiked into the buttes scouting for turkeys. I bring it along for shots of opportunity at coyotes. Haven't had one yet. Also for irate badgers, since it doesn't take much to get a badger irate and quite a bit to get them un-irate. No badgers, either. It's a handy carbine, though, and a pleasure to carry. SW

·
Registered
47 Posts
I now carry my 1894C and 1894CP for all my hunting now. I hunt squirrels to deer with mine with fantastic success. Shots around here where I hunt tend to be under 75yds at best so it fits the bill and is extremely light in weight and not as loud as my other "Deer" rifles, allowing me to hunt in the more urban areas. I handload so I taylor my loadings for the game I'm after and that is a plus also. With the correct bullet I wouldn't think a minute on taking a large deer up and over 220lbs up to 75yds, behind the shoulder shots of course. Makes hunting more challenging and personally gives me the satisfaction I was looking for in the past. :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
...and the only thing better for that "lots of plinking" would be a .22 rimfire.

Dirt cheap ammo whether you buy factory or reload, hardly any recoil at all, but still enough power for reasonable shots at targets that bleed. It's the ultimate bumming around carbine.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I use mine with low power cast loads for squirrels mainly. Mrs Willy uses her's for deer and since it was new in '82 it's put down a lot of venison. I use my 44-40 for deer.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Well if you do "lots of plinking" I can't think of a better choice to do it with than a 1894 in .357! They're cheap to shoot with .38's and they wont beat you up either. If you reload, it's even cheaper, but around here, .38 spls. are about $4 a box for 148 grain cast lead, and that's cheaper than I can reload, unless I cast my own bullets.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I know it would be one hell of a plinker, can't help but wonder if it's enough for deer though.

Carwi, I was hoping you would reply....I knew you were a die hard 357 fan. I guess I should stop trying to justify it and just buy one!

Thanks gents.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
More ammunition companies are coming out with heavier bullets in handgun calibers. Federal has 240grn .41 Mags now, for example. I handloaded 180grn flat nose lead bullets for my .357 S&W pistol that were very accurate and would be, probably, very accurate in a rifle such as a 1894. With the .357 round so available you can buy hunting ammo for that, if you wanted, or cheap plinking ammo, if you wanted.

I have always felt the .38/357 was the .22 rimfire of handgun ammo: there is such a wide variety of ammunition available for it it would be pretty hard to beat for an all-around rifle... unless you were hunting moose or something!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Over the years I've taken about 15 deer with a .357 Magnum Revolver from 25 to 75 yds. I have an 1894CP but can't legally hunt deer with it in my state. If I could, stuffed with Buffalo Bore 180gr Hardcast, would be a shooter out to 150yds for deer. It is a great varmint rifle. I haven't tried squirrel or rabbit hunting with it yet but woodchucks (groundhogs), coyotes, opposums, racoons, etc are in serious trouble with it. Buffalo Bore 125gr Gold Dot at 2280fps (measured with my chrony) from my 1894CP will knock a groundhog dead out to 150yds. Haven't the opportunity to shoot it farther than that. Most of my shooting is under 100yds but not worried about adding another 50yds to that. This is the funnest and probably my most favorite firearm I've ever owned. Just love the thing!

With proper loads the .357 Magnum is very under estimated for deer.

You will hear people recite that with a .30-30, .357Magnum (or any other caliber they consider border line adequate) to place your shot, well this is true with any caliber. Had to laugh when on another forum an individual made the qualification that a .243 isn't adequate for deer because a buddy of his shot a deer with a .300 Winchester Magnum and it went about 150yds before it dropped and when they got to it they had to shoot it again to finish it off. When asked about shot placement the first shot was in the hind quarter. :shock: :roll: 12 of the 15 deer I've taken with a .357 Magnum Revolver were double lung shots. Farthest one went was about 30yds and it was down and dead. The other 3 were headshots (about 25yds) and dropped in there tracks. This year my Ruger GP100 6" will be loaded with Buffalo Bore 180gr Hardcast and I'll go out to 100yds if need be. I've been practicing all summer out to 100yds and cofident of making the double lung shot with my revolver. Your choice for a deer gun will be as good a deer hunter as you are no matter what the caliber....... 8)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yes indeed the 1894C is a good deer gun. I personally have killed quite a few with mine, and like Carwi, I use mine on everything from squirrels to deer. It also makes a fine rifle for calling predators which I also do a lot with it.

Like Lovemymarlin said, it also makes a dandy(although unique) groundhog rifle. I've killed a few groundhogs out past 200 yards with mine, and like he said, a groundhog at, or under 150 is in serious trouble.

I garrantee if you get an 1894C, you absolutely won't be sorry for it. It's nearly impossible to find a more fun rifle, that can work so well in such a wide range of game.

·
Administrator
23,795 Posts
Jarhead Ed, I've used my 94CB in .357 with some stout loads of 2400 and 158gn XTP on deer one at 125yds heart lung shot, it made a rag out of the heart and the lungs were both tore up bad the deer dropped in his tracks. Shot a large doe with it in the back of the head at 50yds and blew the top of her head off no gray matter left in the cavity. I load a lot of cast for plinking and small game. I've used it for squirrels and rabbits, and an occasional gopher in the garden. It works well for all. I would thing that if you got some 180s it would work better. With only .001 difference in the diameters .357 vs .358 that some round nosed bullets made for the .35 rem would work well for black bear at short range, possibly hogs also.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Lovemymarlin: You can hunt with .357 handgun and not with the rifle? That's strange. States do weird stuff from time to time, don't they. In WA, for example, you could hunt with a 4" .25acp, but not a 3" .44mag :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
136 Posts
tubbythetuba said:
Lovemymarlin: You can hunt with .357 handgun and not with the rifle? That's strange. States do weird stuff from time to time, don't they. In WA, for example, you could hunt with a 4" .25acp, but not a 3" .44mag :roll: :roll: :roll:
Yeah I can't figure it. You can hunt with a handgun in any caliber larger than .243 with 4" barrel minimum and brass must be at least 1.16" long, a slug gun and/or muzzleloader. No rifles. So, I can take a 15" barreled Thompson Center Encore in .357Mag deer hunting but not my 16.25" barreled Marlin rifle in .357Mag. Bureaucrat's :roll:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies folks. Won't be long before I'm taking the boys and girls to the range with me so I guess I better snatch one up for my collection :wink:

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Got mine today

Well, after all the posts about the 1894c I had a friend order it through his store if the distributor rep. would hand pick it. It was $55 more than Wally-World but worth it ....'n got a box of ammo thrown in too ... LOL A fair price ... as then there are chairs in the store and NASCAR races and stuff to watch. Sure like to make sure it stay's that way. It just doesn't have the old black pot belly wood stove!

The one the Rep picked out had the closest matching wook in butt stock and forearm with some grain showing ... the best of what they had in sock at the time and hand delivered to store tonight. It handles just great .... and goes good with my 1894m and 1894FG too. I just like them a lot more than the .44's that are really .429's ... hehehehehehe

Yep .... really like the handling of that .357 8) Mike

·
Banned
76 Posts
Just curious for those of you with a 357....what the heck do you use it for? I have a 444P and an 1894 in 44 Mag. It's funny, I had wanted the 444 for years, but now carry the 44 ten times as much. So my next purchase is betwixt a 30-30, 35 Rem, and a 357. I don't do cowboy action....just hunting and lots of plinking.
I think your overall best choice might be the .30-30. The .357 is marginal on deer past 75 yds., and accuracy past 50 yds. with revolver cartridges is about half or less than highpower rifle cartridges. The 35 Rem could also be a good short term availability solution as ammo for the 30-30 is very scarce and expensive right now, as is .357 mag. .35 Rem ammo seems to be generally available in the $40-50 a box range. Not Cheap, but available.

If your a handloader, your options are wide open if you have, or can get components. The ammo and component availability in the next couple of years will probably be the most important factor in your choice now,especially if you are in a hurry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.