Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a potential first time lever gun and Marlin owner. I was at the gun show today. I saw two rifles.

first was a 1894 in 44 Mag, pre-safety, born on date was 1982. It's used but in nice enough condition it caught my eye. (given it's age)

It sat next to another identical 1894 in 44 mag but it had the safety and had a born on date of 2002. It was in better condition that the older one. (duh)

I'm aware that New Marlins are in sad shape. I'm a fan of old guns that were well made. I'm looking for a fun shooter / truck gun, not a collectable safe queen.

The older gun is priced at $500 and the newer is $575. both have 20" barrels.

I need some feed back as to what to look for when examining the weapons. And opinions as to which one to buy.

Thanks in advance for your time!

I promise to post photos when I get hit home.

·
Super Moderator
11,130 Posts
Most folks would opt for the pre-safety. But - the pre-safety likely has microgroove barrel and I think around 1990's they went back to Ballard rifling which a lot of folks prefer for shooting cast.
You'd have to research that one.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I like the pre-safety. The safety just irks me. So buy some snap caps and ask if you can run them thru. Clean bright bore, sights square and no major dents or gashes and it sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
I'd say both are reasonably priced, so go with the one that "really floats your boat". The one plus of the safety is it makes it a LITTLE bit safer while unloading as you have to run every unfired round thru the full cycle (and I know --Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you're aimed at something you intend to shoot:biggrin:). If the bore is good on the older rifle, I'd probably go that route since it's less money and you want a truck gun! You'll love whichever you choose! John

·
Registered
506 Posts
Cross bolt safety - good gun

NO CBS = SEXY RIFLE

How hard is it to figure which one is right.

I would be there in the morning buying the sexy one but I am working the Courage Classic Charity match at Kitsap Rifle and Revolver club.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
With a difference of $75, don't be tormented by the decision. Cross bolt safety or not, it's not a big deal. Which one gives you that warm feeling when you pick it up? Thats the one you should buy.

With respect to emptying unfired ammo from a Marlin by cycling the lever, I read here at MO (or I dreamed?) recently that pushing in the loading gate will let rounds in the mag tube back out of the gate. I wasn't aware of that before, and I haven't tried it, but that was revealed by someone. This is subject to check.

Personally, I don't mind the c/b safety at all. I kinda like the idea of an extra safety, but I have Marlins both ways.

Don't let $75 stand between you and the newer Marlin, if you really want it. If both check out the same, condition wise, and you don't mind a few blemishes, save yourself $75 and stock up on ammo.

·
Premium Member
13,428 Posts
All good advice and since I came in late, I can't add anything. Welcome to MarlinOwners and we'll look for pictures as soon as you get your choice home!

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!! I agree with all of the above.
Enjoy which ever one you choose.

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
Hello & Welcome to MO from Arkansas. Some good advice from above posts, so now the decision is yours to make.

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
Welcome, from DFW, Texas...Handle them both, get which ever "speaks" to you.

·
Super Moderator
15,611 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm looking for a fun shooter / truck gun, not a collectable safe queen.
I have both Non-CBS and CBS rifles. My thought is that I prefer the Non-CBS for the "safe queen" collectable range shooters, but I use the CBS for the "truck gun" or riding on the 4 wheeler (even though I don't carry one in the chamber). I just feel a little safer about having a CBS as a tuck gun, especially when others may have access to it, but that is just me.

I would choose which ever seems like the best rifle as far as Action, Shape, etc. Welcome!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mission complete!

Upon closer inspection the newer, rifle was born on 1992 and was in 45 colt.

I decided to buy the 1982 Rifle in 44Mag. It was in better condition than first thought. (Nice! :proud:)
Given what I'm reading in the Rant Forum I'm really happy about my purchase quality wise.

Thanks everyone for your imput. I'll post a range report and photo's on the 1894 sub forum.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Hangemhigh87 Welcome to MO from NC. Swampdude is correct about unloading Winnies and Marlins. All you have to do is point her in a safe direction push in the loading gate and a round will slide back far enough to be exstracted with your fingers. Unload all the rounds in the tube then cycle the lever a couple of times to clear the barrel and insure nothing was left in the tube. A friend once showed me this about 40 years ago. He told me it kept the tips of the bullets from becoming damaged by not having to cycle the round through the barrel. Good luck with your new purchase. I'm getting a 44 mag. myself tomorrow. I can't wait.

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
there is only one way you could have lost on that situation.....waiting to long to pull the trigger....congrats on the 44 I have one and it is becoming my fav....I have heard these guys talk about a rifle that speaks to them and I thought they were maybe a couple of bricks shy of a load...but now I have one that actually does speak to me....anybody seen my bricks ????

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
...................Man you should have bought both....................................

1 - 20 of 21 Posts