Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
View attachment 866947
View attachment 866946

So I got the 1894 16" barrel/micro groove.
All the sharp edges are still there. As though it just came from the factory. The barrel grooves are real nice and sharp.
I think this rifle has less than 500 rounds through it.
I definitely need to take this thing apart. Smooth the edges. Slick up the action. Replace the lever and make it easier to close and open/ feels a bit sticky.

Anyone have a good source for slicking up the 1894. How different internally is the 1894 design from the Glenfield 30A. The 30A is simple to take apart and put together.

What springs do I need to change.
I will remove that scope and try a prism dot sight.
Nice rifle, Great find. I was stupid enough to pass on a 357 in stainless a year or two ago. You don't need to get to crazy rounding off sharp edges. I take burrs off with an extra fine Arkansas sharpening stone and 600 grit or finer sandpaper. Be careful not to change the angle of any mating surfaces, you just need to smooth and polish things up.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Good choice.

I like the Rossi but had trouble with them and had a hard time getting parts from the factory.

Had two Rossi 92s that were made before Taurus bought them. Worked perfectly with any ammo. Would like to have them back.

·
Registered
Lever action rifles
1,484 Posts
I don't hear many good things about the Rossi's. They all seem to need some type of smith work to make them run!
I'll take a USA made Marlin over a Brazilian made Rossi. Although a model 92 is perhaps the best-looking lever ever made!

·
Super Moderator
9,346 Posts
I have a Rossi made Puma 92 45 Colt trapper in stainless. My 1894C was a dream rifle but I like the Puma better. Fatter bullets in twice the weight of a .357. Runs like butter but the loading gate did need some TLC.

And I won't cry over a ding in the stock like I would if it was a Marlin. This one rifle isn't for looks or prestige. Just a big hammer that swings easy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't hear many good things about the Rossi's. They all seem to need some type of smith work to make them run!
I'll take a USA made Marlin over a Brazilian made Rossi. Although a model 92 is perhaps the best-looking lever ever made!
Not all need work. I have two, one was very good and I smoothed it and made it better. My last one was just fine and I just used it, and cycled it and it is now just as nice as the first one. You only hear about the ones that are bad, or have issues, same as most Marlins/Remlins/soon to be Rugers...

·
Registered
120 Posts
So I am trying to figure out if I should get a 1894 Marlin in 44 mag JM 20" ( I would cut it down to 16") gently used for ($550) or a Rossi 92 new in the same caliber for about 600-650$.
I have a Glenfield 30-30 and a Citadel 92 in 357.
Rossi 92 will be somewhat familiar ( I have tuned and smoothed the Citadel to run smoothly and cycle damn near perfectly ) and a 1894 seems very different from the Glenfield 30A ( different design and caliber). My question is : how reliable is the 1894...what modifications need to be made? What problems are inherent in this design verses the Glenfield or 92?

The 1894 would be like the 30-30 and 357 hunting rifles and range toys.
I know you like what you like and everyone is different, I just don't like foreign made guns, rifles or pistols. Any foreign made guns I have seen lack the quality of the old marlins, colts, rugers, smith&wessons but that is just my two cents worth and I know that not everyone agrees with this

21 - 30 of 30 Posts