Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am trying to figure out if I should get a 1894 Marlin in 44 mag JM 20" ( I would cut it down to 16") gently used for ($550) or a Rossi 92 new in the same caliber for about 600-650$.
I have a Glenfield 30-30 and a Citadel 92 in 357.
Rossi 92 will be somewhat familiar ( I have tuned and smoothed the Citadel to run smoothly and cycle damn near perfectly ) and a 1894 seems very different from the Glenfield 30A ( different design and caliber). My question is : how reliable is the 1894...what modifications need to be made? What problems are inherent in this design verses the Glenfield or 92?

The 1894 would be like the 30-30 and 357 hunting rifles and range toys.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Marlin is a great deal!

As far as what’s better it depends on what you’re going to do with it. The Rossi is 2lbs lighter and tougher to scope. The Marlins are heavier, more sought after. Is you don’t like it you’ll make money on Marlin, the Rossi will be a tougher sell.

Having owned both I still own a Rossi 44mag and have sold my Marlin 44mags.

I love my Rossi’s and have been never had an issue with them but some do. My stainless 454 casull Rossi is my favorite lever I own, and I have more than most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have a Win M94 Trapper in .44 rmag and I love the 16" barrel, so understand your wanting that. As already mentioned, that's a great price for the 1894. Heck, I sold mine for that about a decade ago. If you'll ever consider scoping (mine wore a compact 1-3 Weaver), then for sure, the 1894.

Best of luck with whatever you choose 👍

Reactions: Pereira and Vooch

·
Registered
557 Posts
Rossi’s are only half finished from the factory. Be sure and file the razor edge off the loading gate unless you want a somewhat shorter finger that you push the rounds in with.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rossi’s are only half finished from the factory. Be sure and file the razor edge off the loading gate unless you want a somewhat shorter finger that you push the rounds in with.
Yup made that mistake before chopped off the tip of my finger. I did get Steve's DVD and was able to smooth everything out now the 92 runs perfectly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Marlin is a great deal!

As far as what’s better it depends on what you’re going to do with it. The Rossi is 2lbs lighter and tougher to scope. The Marlins are heavier, more sought after. Is you don’t like it you’ll make money on Marlin, the Rossi will be a tougher sell.

Having owned both I still own a Rossi 44mag and have sold my Marlin 44mags.

I love my Rossi’s and have been never had an issue with them but some do. My stainless 454 casull Rossi is my favorite lever I own, and I have more than most.

The 1894 already come scoped but I will probably put a red dot on it. I have short arms so 16 inch barrel perfect size for me. And it is going to be mainly a shooting hunting range toy.
I am well aware of the shortcomings of the Rossi's but will I encounter any problems with 1894 design?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Either is a good price right now and if you don’t like either resell will be pretty easy I think. Lever guns are popular right now and in demand. Personally the Marlin would be my choice (especially at that price) but I’ve considered a Rossi levers a number of times. They just need the extra love.

·
Registered
18,205 Posts
Modifications? Yeah, shoot the thing, dirty the barrel. Then clean and oil it. I like to run my 1894's a little wet, use the best firearms oil you can buy. Put a small drop of Blue Loctite on all the fasteners, and have fun.

·
Registered
735 Posts
So I am trying to figure out if I should get a 1894 Marlin in 44 mag JM 20" ( I would cut it down to 16") gently used for ($550) or a Rossi 92 new in the same caliber for about 600-650$.
I have a Glenfield 30-30 and a Citadel 92 in 357.
Rossi 92 will be somewhat familiar ( I have tuned and smoothed the Citadel to run smoothly and cycle damn near perfectly ) and a 1894 seems very different from the Glenfield 30A ( different design and caliber). My question is : how reliable is the 1894...what modifications need to be made? What problems are inherent in this design verses the Glenfield or 92?

The 1894 would be like the 30-30 and 357 hunting rifles and range toys.
I'd get the one that is cheaper. But I wouldn't cut the barrel. Longer barrel = higher velocity, and flatter trajectory. It may not be a significant amount but every little bit helps. It surprises me that the Marlin is cheaper than the Rossi. I would have guessed the other way around.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Wore my .45 rossi carbine out in a year of heavy cas, returned it, sold the nib replacement and bought a used marlin for 400.00 over 30 years ago, still running the marlin but did break a one piece firing pin and repaired the dreaded marlin jam. Just cut my wife’s carbine down to a Trapper. Have to use .45 Schofield to get ten rds in the mag but if you’re just shooting/ hunting no problem with a shorter bbl/ mag tube. I’ve used the Trapper in my last 2 cas shoots and love it. Even if your marlin has some issues 550.00 is a great price. Fixed my ’jam’ with a coping saw blade and jbweld.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'd get the one that is cheaper. But I wouldn't cut the barrel. Longer barrel = higher velocity, and flatter trajectory. It may not be a significant amount but every little bit helps. It surprises me that the Marlin is cheaper than the Rossi. I would have guessed the other way around.
I had originally planned to cut my new (17 years ago) Marlin 1894 .44 Mag down to a 16 1/2" barrel. Long ago, I had a 16" Winchester 94 .30-30. But after shooting the Marlin for awhile, I decided that the effort to properly shorten the barrel and magazine tube, and resulting reduction in magazine capacity, and the velocity reduction wasn't worth it to me. The 20" barrel balances well, and 3 1/2" shorter would make little difference in handling.

I like having a 10-round .44 Magnum magazine capacity.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Lol, 44mag difference between 16-20” is less than 15fps On every one I’ve cut and put over the crono.

·
Super Moderator
4,821 Posts
I would say get the 1894 and do what you want to it.

·
Registered
10,764 Posts
I'd say the Marlin will hold it's value longer, that is if it's a JM model.
But I own 2 Rossis and I love 'em.
I have levers in all kinds of configurations, straight stocked, pistol grip, with barrel lengths, 16.5, 18.5, 20 and 24 inch.
Round and octagons, Henrys, Marlins, Rossi, and Winchester, in 22 to 444 calibers, no Savage levers though, they just ain't Cowboy enough for me.
Buy the one you like the most and go on about it.

RP

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

So I got the 1894 16" barrel/micro groove.
All the sharp edges are still there. As though it just came from the factory. The barrel grooves are real nice and sharp.
I think this rifle has less than 500 rounds through it.
I definitely need to take this thing apart. Smooth the edges. Slick up the action. Replace the lever and make it easier to close and open/ feels a bit sticky.

Anyone have a good source for slicking up the 1894. How different internally is the 1894 design from the Glenfield 30A. The 30A is simple to take apart and put together.

What springs do I need to change.
I will remove that scope and try a prism dot sight.

·
Registered
265 Posts
View attachment 866947
View attachment 866946

So I got the 1894 16" barrel/micro groove.
All the sharp edges are still there. As though it just came from the factory. The barrel grooves are real nice and sharp.
I think this rifle has less than 500 rounds through it.
I definitely need to take this thing apart. Smooth the edges. Slick up the action. Replace the lever and make it easier to close and open/ feels a bit sticky.

Anyone have a good source for slicking up the 1894. How different internally is the 1894 design from the Glenfield 30A. The 30A is simple to take apart and put together.

What springs do I need to change.
I will remove that scope and try a prism dot sight.
You have made a great choice. Strip it down and work your way through it. Watch your favorite movie or tv show. Enjoy the fruits of your labor! She will treat you right.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts