Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1894 44-40 Carbine -this is the old style manufactured approx.1904. It has a round barrel and is missing the Forend ,tenon and screws . Definitely originally equipped with this and I'd like to find one . Anyone have one or ideas?
Also this gun has a ladder style sight on it , was that standard? Was the main chamber case hardened? Was the butt stock plate blued?
Anyone have a source for rear firing pin and retainer spring? Also rear stock has a hole drilled on the bottom about 6" from front -was this originally for a swivel (I doubt if its factory) and what do I do with the hole ,install a swivel?? Source please.

Gentlemen thanks for any help given , I've learned lots from this site.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wind but the hole in mine is further forward 6 1/2" back from center line of trigger and 7 1/2 inches forward of bottom of butt plate. I guess still could have been a swivel not properly drilled -i.e retrofit Also front swivel on yours mounts on forend plate I'm missing mine- does it just bolt into plate not into stock (theres no hole in my front stock) .Who has these authentic swivels ? .PS nice gun you have -it also answered a few other questions I had -Chamber case hardened -mines faded out and I guess butt plate is blued. Thanks for all your help

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey again vr -- Cased receivers and blue bolts were standard. With a forend cap and not a barrel band, you have a rifle, not a carbine...

View attachment 109418

The studs in the forend cap were installed like a rivet.

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1894 Marlin old style anomolies

Wind thanks for your comments but I'm confused. Barrel is 20 " long, stock and buttplate they tell me are Carbine . Front stock has the markings for where a forend sat. I'll try to post these photos . By the way ever notice how much nicer stuff looks in a photo?/
Serial# is 306174. Definitely a 44-40 numbers match
If the forend is riveted why do they show and sell screws to hold to the tenon ?
Hey no arguments here I'm very appreciative of all the help . PS see rear stock photo for swivel ? hole.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there vr -- I was referring to the sling stud as being riveted to the forend cap. You definitely have a carbine. The two barrel bands are what determines that it is a carbine, along with the 20" barrel. The butt stock has nothing to do with it. That rifle never had a forend cap. The hole in the buttstock and any miscellanous holes in the forend are the result of previous owners. Carbine forends typically protruded beyond the forend band just as yours does. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1894 old style

Wind thank you for clarification . You saved me ordering a forend cap I wouldn't use . Thanks again -now what do I do with hole in rear stock ? Also this gun has a ladder style sight -was that stock?. Regards

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The rear sight is correct for a carbine. I would fill the hole with a wood plug, if done right, you can barely tell

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The rear sight is correct for a carbine. I would fill the hole with a wood plug, if done right, you can barely tell
+1! :top:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts