Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any additional information on the 1894 Octagon 44mag carbine. The information I have found indicates this rifle was only made in 1973. The S/N on my rifle is a 1976mfg date. I contacted Marlin who routed me to the historians at Remington who said it was indeed mfg'd in 76 as part of a group of firearms Marlin made to celebrate the bi-centennial in 76. They had basically NO other information as to quantity or what other rifles were made for the bi-centennial. Has anyone else heard of this run of firearms or does anyone else have or have seen any of these? This rifle has a beautiful high grade stock and is in excellent condition. Any other information would be very much appreciated. -- EPH

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Interesting rifle. Does it have some bi-centennial marking on the barrel?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No other markings indicating bi-centennial affiliation. "1894 Octagon" is stamped on the barrel for the model. Only thing tying it to 76 is the s/n and the info from the Remington historian indicating why it was made in 76 and not 73. I can't find anything in any gun books about the production run in '76. Historian indicated they have no other info because when they acquired Marlin, all of the detailed info was archived by Marlin and isn't available to them...

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
VERY interesting rifle and nice pictures! Never say never with Marlin - the octagons produced in 1973 were supposedly leftover barrel stock from the 1970 presentation and the 1972 Zane Grey models (both 336 .30-30s). For instance, the Zane Grey run was advertised as 10,000; less than 7,800 were actually produced. I don't have the dimensions on the below 1973 Octagon in .30-30, but assume the barrel stock was simply bored out larger for the .44 mag?

The 1973 Octagon model 1894 was similar in appearance, with the full length mag tube, end cap, dovetailed front sight, squared lever, and blued trigger, but had a 20" vs 22" tapered barrel. Except for the barrel and mag tube, it closely matched the ultra rare 1894 Sporter in .44 mag, also from 1973 shown in the top of the photo below:

It is very likely Marlin had, or found, some leftover barrels in 1976 and decided to jump on the Bicentennial bandwagon (such as Ruger did) but without the fanfare. Marlin always had a close relationship with Ruger, and built barrels for them until the late 1960s. It definitely was not a cataloged model! Have you checked the buttstock wood and bolt for serial number match to the tang? I've never seen another, but can believe what you were told. At a minimum, it's an original 1894 Octagon simply built on receiver a few years "late". Great find, and straight shooting always!

·
Super Moderator
11,835 Posts
Interesting find. I have a '73 1894 Octagon and have seen a couple with '72 serial numbers but never one that late. Looks like they either found some NOS barrels in '76 or it was pieced together. Regardless that is some pretty wood.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much for the insight gewehr and everyone else. Here are some additional pics.
guns 007.jpg

guns 025.JPG
guns024.jpg

The butt stock has no #s on it and I didn't take apart the bolt. The barrel is stamped with a circled JM. it has the 20" barrel, dovetail sight, I am considering offering this rifle for sale, but don't want to under-represent it or misrepresent exactly what it is. No matter what, it is one of the most beautiful little lever guns I've ever held.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Beautiful!!! sure would love to have something like that!!!!

Doc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beautiful!!! sure would love to have something like that!!!!

Doc

Thanks Doc! That's why I'm so torn about if I want to sell it or not. I'm more in tune with what the Savages are bringing vs these Marlins. I know its only worth what someone is willing to pay, but can you folks in the forum provide a ballpark on this one? Everyone on the thread knows as much as I do now about this little darlin. PMs would be fine. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Looks like junk, I can take it off your hands so you don't have to deal with it anymore.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Appreciate the offer but not sure I want to pass this headache on to someone else... might make me feel too guilty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts