Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking of adding a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag to the collection for those times I want to shoot blackpowder in cowboy matches. My Browning 92 is a pain to clean compared to a Marlin. I have found several of the older Marlin's with Microgrove barrels and wondered if I could get through a cowboy match with one shooting lead bullets and black powder or blackpowder subs?

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there tulsey -- Welcome to Marlin Owners. I quit shooting the black, smokey stuff long ago. I can offer some information that may help you decide on your own. Most local matches have from five to ten stages. Most stages have around 10 shots from your rifle. Usually there is time to wipe/swab your barrel between stages if necessary. The cap and ball shooters need time to recharge cylinders as well. Hopefully this information will help with a decision as to whether or not your rifle would run all the way through, or just part-way through a match without some attention. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
i use mine with black in cowboy shoots. not a problem to clean up. just make positive to use a charge that generates a good seal on the case and the action area stays pretty clean.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Interesting. Do i understand the Marlin mentors right, there's no problem in shooting a Black powder loaded cartridge with a 1894 .44 cowboy with micro groove? I thought the difference in pressure would affect the accuracy? But that shure would increase my search of a .44 1894. It could go for both hunting and shooting at the BP Club if i understand this post right?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Interesting. Do i understand the Marlin mentors right, there's no problem in shooting a Black powder loaded cartridge with a 1894 .44 cowboy with micro groove? I thought the difference in pressure would affect the accuracy? But that shure would increase my search of a .44 1894. It could go for both hunting and shooting at the BP Club if i understand this post right?
No problem with accuracy or lower pressure loads. Remember you could shoot 44 specials in smokeless accurately--- Black powder will yield pressures about the same as 44 specials with case filling load of 2F.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
No problem at all with b.p. in a micro-groove barrel PROVIDING the proper bullet and proper b.p. are used to eliminate the chance of "foul out" (hard ring of b.p. fouling developing at the muzzle and extending back into the barrel.) The same is true for other barrels as well.

correct
black powder brand / bullet
Swiss or Olde E / any that hold at least .7 gr of lube
Goex, Schuetzen, Kik / "Big Lube" or Accurate Molds identified with "Black Powder"

Swiss or Olde E can also be used with the "Big Lube" or Accurate Molds.

Have fun!
w30wcf

Reactions: Yogi

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I've used American Pioneer Powder (APP) which is a blackpowder sub, many times in my 45 Colt '94 carbine. No problems at all, accuracy was fine, very little fouling in the barrel. I'm pretty anal when it comes to my guns, so I tore it down after each match for cleaning. I recently attended a 2-day blackpowder state championship and used it both days. At the end of the first day I ran a Boresnake down the barrel and sprayed it down good with Ballistol.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks a bunch for the fine advice y'all! Just for the stupid Dane here: Is that also possible with .357 - and maybe the 30-30? I'm already the Lucky owner of a 336c from 2003 but didn't imagine that i could use that for BP. As far as i understand the history of the 30 -30 it was designed for smokeless rounds...? See, there's pretty strict rules here where it makes it illegal to shoot a smokeless round in a BP shooting field. But anything propelled with BP goes fine, no restrictions in year of manufacture of the guns.

No problem at all with b.p. in a micro-groove barrel PROVIDING the proper bullet and proper b.p. are used to eliminate the chance of "foul out" (hard ring of b.p. fouling developing at the muzzle and extending back into the barrel.) The same is true for other barrels as well.

correct
black powder brand / bullet
Swiss or Olde E / any that hold at least .7 gr of lube
Goex, Schuetzen, Kik / "Big Lube" or Accurate Molds identified with "Black Powder"

Swiss or Olde E can also be used with the "Big Lube" or Accurate Molds.

Have fun!
w30wcf

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
you can use black in 357 and 30-30 with no problems also. loading data is available online.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks buckeyeshooter. That's VERY interesting. Gotta try that as soon as i get some reloading gear. And the cowboy 357 is now ot top of my list...
you can use black in 357 and 30-30 with no problems also. loading data is available online.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
The early .38 Special was factory loaded with 21 1/2 grs of b.p. I have used b.p. loads in my .357 Marlin Cowboy and they shot very well....accuracy was better than most of my smokeless recipies. The brand of b.p. is important for the best results....Swiss or Olde Enysford.

The best B.P. loads I have tried in the .30-30 would group 2+ times larger than smokeless. Not unusual for a bottle necked ctg and b.p..

w30wcf

Thanks a bunch for the fine advice y'all! Just for the stupid Dane here: Is that also possible with .357 - and maybe the 30-30? I'm already the Lucky owner of a 336c from 2003 but didn't imagine that i could use that for BP. As far as i understand the history of the 30 -30 it was designed for smokeless rounds...? See, there's pretty strict rules here where it makes it illegal to shoot a smokeless round in a BP shooting field. But anything propelled with BP goes fine, no restrictions in year of manufacture of the guns.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
How are you doing Yogi?

Yes you can use BP with microgroove barrels but only in the pistol cartridges. You need to clean it thoroughly and, if in a long match, swab it once or twice, but it will do fine. Pressure is not a problem, the Marlins are built to take magnum loads.

If you find a BP substitute like 777 you can have lots of smoke without the residue.

DD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts