Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ser. no. is 399XXX.
I don't know much about these Marlins and don't have a book on them. I'm looking at buying this Marlin 1894, cal 25-20M., 26" long tapered octagon barrel, full magazine.
tang marked:
Marlin
MODEL '94,on the tang which has screws for sight.

barrel address reads:
MARLIN FIRE-ARMS CO. NEW HAVEN.CT,USA
PATENTED.OCT.11.1887.APRIL 2.1889.AUGUST 1.1893

Since ser.no.355300 is 1906 maybe this one is 1907.
I cleaned the barrel and it's a dark mud road with a twist in it.
Exterior is grey to white, some trace CC on hammer sides, wood metal very good, lettering all very good, action tight. Blade brass/steel type front sight, semi buckorn rear.
Any idea of the value?

Anything you all can tell would be appreciated.
thanks ,
Harve Curry

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Harve,
Probably a bit later than 1907. I'd guess more like 1910-1911. They didn't build enough guns to get to 399xxx from 355,600 in a year, even with the other models mixed in.
As for value, it's really hard to give anything but a WAG. Of all the model '94's the .25-20 is the least desireable. Seems most folks want the large bores, and pay extra for them. Sounds like a well used, but unabused gun, and these generally can run anywhere from $350-$600 in that condition, if it's all there and shootable.
It also has a special order length barrel. The standard for the '94 was 24", so it's 2" over. Assuming the rest of the gun is standard straight grip, with no other options, that's about as close as I can get, sight unseen.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
315 Posts
25-20M, #407,xxx

Harve,
Got a dead ringer for yours, only with a later number, with the more standard 24" barrel. Bore on mine is good, with blueing gone to a plummy brown on barrel and tube while the receiver is silvery. Wood in very fine shape, and it's been checkered, forearm and grip at some stage, prolly not factory, but a nice job.
With a marbles peep on the tang, I paid around $500 with shipping off of a Gunbroker. No bargain, but I feel a fair price for what I would rate at around 65% finish, and mechanically excellent.
Shoots like a house on fire! 10 shots into a 1 1/4" stick on fluoro dot on my paper plate targets at 25 yds off my elbows at the bench. I must confess to having put a BSA 'airgun' red dot scope on her, and have NO regrets, even if it does look a little odd, {;o). 12gr of Rx7 under the Rem 86gr JFP averages 1720fps.
I did some work on the cartridge lifter and can shoot a COAL of 1.640" in preperation for a Lee TLC258-79-RF 6 cavity mould that has been designed on the Cast Bullet thread over on www.accuratereloading.com forums. Check it out, you might want to get an order in iffen ur a boolit caster.
Great little cartridge, and I'm working on load development as we speak..
Neglible recoil, and the accuracy on my first load is VERY gratifying.
Marlinman93,
I've been guessing that my #407,xxx was circa 1909 or so, but from what ur saying, more like 1912???? Prolly just prior to WWI by the sounds of it.
Cheers,
R*2

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
R2,
You know we're just making an educated guess at when these post 1906 guns were made. Still not enough data to do more than speculate. Most years, Marlin produced about 20,000 guns in their highest production. Some think the pre WWI era production numbers were even smaller numbers. No way to tell for sure, but even at half as many guns, it would take 5 years to get to your gun. With the close proximity of the two in mention, I'd guess your's to be close to the same time, around 1911? Like I said, it's all a WAG.

·
Banned
150 Posts
Me toooooo

Gentleman,

I too recently picked up a Model 94 in .25-20, having been encouraged to be on the lookout for 1894 CL in that caliber by 3Marlins. She knows her calibers and it was great advice, even though I reached back a bit in time.

It's in about the same condition as Harve's maybe a little more on the wear side, although the octagon barrel still is pretty well-blued. It was hand-checkered by someone and reportedly would misfire "occassionally" and was awaiting repair in a local gunshop when I happened upon it. The checkering, while devaluing it I am sure, is kind of charming and I could not get the puppy to misfire. Ran about 25 rounds through it. Serial number is also in 399,000 range so I guess would be a 1910 or later depending on those production numbers.

It shot well, though it was a bit stiff cycling (needs full bore cleaning I suspect). I really couldn't be happier with it, considering I paid right at Marlinman93's lowest price point estimate. I have seen estimates in some gun value books of $1,000 or more for a good condidtion gun! But those sound on the very high side, compared to the Standard catalogue which are very much in line with Marlinman93's estimates.

In any event, It's a dandy little rifle and 3Marlins deserves the credit for opening my eyes to it. She is one smart Marlin Lady. Thanks again, Gale.

Harve and R2, hope you enjoy yours as much as I am mine. And thanks for the always good advise, Marlinman93.

Lazer

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Lazer,
Glad you're enjoying your model 1894! That, above all else, is whats most important; to enjoy them! It's pretty easy to fall in love with one of these fine old guns. They feel and look so good, and those early one's with their octagon barrels are such classics!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts