Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, say its around 1895 and you are a rancher or homesteader somewhere and need to choose between the Win 1892 and the Marlin 1894, which factors would you consider as you make your choice?????

Personally I only have experience with the Winchester and I really like it. I still want to get an original 1894 Marlin someday but I want an 1893 and a 1895 first. Foremost in Marlins favor would be the ease of cleaning and simpler assembly.

I'd sure like to hear you guys weigh in with your thoughts on this. Does any one know how the prices for each rifle compared back then?

Geoff

·
Registered
394 Posts
I tend to follow the "fewer parts" line of reasoning. Winchester made some awesome rifles designed by John Browning. Mr. Browning must have liked parts, though. Marlin accomplished the same desired effect with fewer components. I have owned a few 1894 Winchesters and a few 1893 Marlins. I think the Marlin wins any comparison. The 1892 Winchester standard rifle cost $19.50 in the 1893 catalog. The standard 1894 Marlin cost about the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Winchester X Marlin

This is a very tough choice as to quality back then, Now the choice is very clear, Marlin is far ahead in material to withstand a rugged life in the wild.
It does not take long for Win. action to get loose from what i see in the second hand department at my local dealer.

I recently purchased a 1894C Made in 1980 and it is a jewel compared to several Win. 94's in the same racks.

ALJ

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Lewis Hepburn is often overlooked for the simplicity of his design. He was a genius in figuring out how things worked, and how to make them do the same thing with less parts.
The 1894 Marlin is a superbly simple design, and based just on that, it would have gotten my vote. But I have to tell you a secret. The 1892 and 1886 Winchesters have always been a secret love for me. I don't own either, and never have. Someday I want one of each, just because I admire the strength, and beauty of these two Browning designed guns.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies gentlemen and also a welcome aboard to ALJ,

A question about the wood used in the stocks. Did both the Winchester and the Marlin use the same kind of wood and finish?

Also, I believe the Marlin 1894 receivers were case hardened. Is that any better or worse in this category than the Win 1892?

Remember I am more or less a rookie at all of this. It seems to me from the Win 1892 carbines that I've seen the front sight is part of the barrel band. I don't like this as well as a nice solid dovetail into the barrel like my 1892 Winchester rifle has. Did Marlin have a better front sight arrangement on their 1894 carbines?

I enjoy Mike Venturino's articles and he has stated that he doesn't really include the Win 1892 and the Marlin 1894 as "old west" guns because the west was pretty tame by the time they came along. While this is valid it is also good to remember that alot of areas such as where I live that were plenty wild even into the 1920's and 1930's. So I have a ton of respect for guns even like my 1892 Winchester that was made in 1908 and is a veteran of who knows what, hunting, butchering, and probably a few other tense moments.

Got to get Parley and Hogger and Kaintuck and anybody else of course to weigh in on my question!

Geoff

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Browning was a bit of a genius, and when he wanted a minimal parts gun, he came up with a single shot bolt action rimfire with only 4 moving parts. I am fortunate enough to have one of these in my small collection. The extractor/ejector/loading platform is all one part and works without a hiccup some 106 years after the gun was made. I gotta get pix taken of this action and get them up here....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
579 Posts
Having owned a couple of 92's and a couple of 94 marlins at the same time, I can honestly say that the Marlin has a shorter and much smoother lever throw than the 92. At one time I aspired to collect Winchesters until I picked up a Marlin 94 at show about 10 years ago, and I haven't looked back since. Just sold my last 92 at the gunshow in Oct. and bought another 94 Marlin in 25-20. Later, moodyholler

·
Banned
81 Posts
1894 Marlin compared with 1892 Winchester

Driven Ford and Chevy, dated blondes and brunettes, shot my first deer with a 25-20 Win 1892....I perfer the 1894 Marlin.

·
0 Posts
I've had em both, and, at least for me, the '92 gets my vote. Smooooooth ,carries well and I've made some highly interesting shots using 92's. :lol:

·
0 Posts
I've had em both, and, at least for me, the '92 gets my vote. Smooooooth ,carries well and I've made some highly interesting shots using 92's. :lol:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Geoff,
The Marlin 1894 reciever was blued UNLESS special ordered from the factory as case colored.
I too, have used a '92 Winchester as a young hunter. It is a fine rifle, but the Marlin gets my vote.

WB

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased A 92 WIN. 38/40 3 didget serial no like new over 50 yrs ago. only paid 20 bucks for it, put all the amo I could afford through it over the years. After a lot of arm twisting i sold it for 1200.00 a few weeks back. It was like loosing part of the family, went out and bought a 1894C marlin made in 1980 357 Mag cal. It well replaces my old friend, The only way it could be better now would be to have them both togather. would hate to have to decide which to let go then.

The old levers are like fine wine.

ALJ

·
Banned
81 Posts
1894 Marlin compared with 1892 Winchester

Wishbone...isn't that blued for carbines and color cased for rifles? I have 4 rifles in the 4 calibers and they're all color cased.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Cowboykell,
I stand corrected.
I was sure that I read in one of my old Marlin catalogs that the 1894 was furnished with a blued reciever unless otherwise specified. After reading you post, I looked in some of my catalogs. I checked my 1898, 1905, 1911, 1915, 1925 and 1930 catalogs and found exactly what you stated : Rifles were furnished with a case-colored reciever and carbines were blued - unless a case hardened reciever was desired (at $0.70 extra in 1911).
I must have mis-interpreted it whan I read it sometime in the past.

WB

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Geoff,
The case hardened receiver vs. blued receivers on the 1894 Marlin and 1892 Winchester, are not one better than the other. However, the case hardened receiver is a more expensive finish to put on, and was only put on a very few 1892's for Winchester.
Asthetically I find the case hardened receiver to be much more pleasing, but they don't hold their finish as well as bluing.
The front sight on Marlin carbines was silver soldered into an invisible dovetail. The blade itself was pinned, and could be changed, by driving out a very small pin. Very solid, and easy to see. The only drawback to the design was it wasn't as easy to change as a dovetailed front sight.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Not too long ago, I slicked up a Rossi Puma for a friend. ( I've heard they are quite similar to the 92 Win) Sure, they are heck for stout & accurate, but if you ever need to work on one, you will need 3 hands, a prehensile tail and a VERY tolerant assistant! I have worked on a gun or 2, but I like to NEVER got it back together! I thought some of the pre-war Euro stuff was difficult!

The same operation on a Marlin can be accomplished in very short order with no additional greasy smudges on the NRA rifle disassembly manual. I vote for Marlin. NO question!! SW

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all of your replies!

As always I learned some more things to file away in my mind.

About the only question that I had that didn't get answered is how the wood was finished and how it compared between the Marlin and the Winchester.

Once again I thank you all. Its fun to get a topic going because I always glean something out of it.

Geoff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts