Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
M-94 .357 pre lock micro groove
399 Posts
I think it looks great. But if reblued is what you want. I’d send it off to be professionally done. I had a model 19 S&W revolver reblued. It had several issues and never regretted it. Technically some may say resale value is diminished but I don’t care because I’ll never sell it. I just wouldn’t try home bluing with the stuff you get off the shelf.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ty all very much, I’m torn because Iwant shoot it at least1 time. If I can find ammo. I’ve torn it down cleaned all parts,barrel,replaced broken firing pin spring etc. It hasn’t been shot in over 80 yrs. maybe more. Thx again

·
Registered
750 Posts
No way would I. If it were all goonied up that would be different. That's just honest wear.

·
Premium Member
9,958 Posts
leave it alone!

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Super Moderator
6,319 Posts
even if you feel the need to give it a wipe down with a slightly oily rag once or twice a week .... leave it as is and shoot it a bit regularly.

jd

Reactions: marlin54

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Why? I have touched up some rifles up to 50 years old, the ones past then have earned their wear, proudly.
PM me and I can probably send you a few original BP rounds to try her out.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Ty all very much, I’m torn because Iwant shoot it at least1 time. If I can find ammo. I’ve torn it down cleaned all parts,barrel,replaced broken firing pin spring etc. It hasn’t been shot in over 80 yrs. maybe more. Thx again
You've got an old saddle ring carbine. I can't see a lot of detail in your pictures but it all looks original. How is the bore? You seem to have restored the working parts well enough. Your gun has some intrinsic value to it as Marlin Saddle Ring carbines were made in somewhat limited quantities ( around 5000 in total) and are quite hard to find. This is a firearm that you should handload for. Brass is still available as are dies and either blackpowder or smokeless propellants are fine if you keep your velocities below 1300 f,p,s. Unique would be a good smokeless load in the .44-40.You can buy the 200 grain flatnose lead bullets in various locations or you could cast your own. R.C.B.S. makes an excellent bullet mould for this calibre. They also make excellent reloading dies. The .44-40 is a lot of fun to shoot and these old guns can be very accurate even when their bores resemble sewer pipes. Just remember to shoot bullets with diameters at least one to two thousandths of an inch overbore. May I ask what the point of rebluing your carbine would be ?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Keep in mind that the 94 is a "strong action" rifle and can take high pressure loads. I am not saying to do this with these guns......just explaining what they "were". Although they could withstand the Winchester 1903 thru 1945,(30 years) of High Velocity pressures of 22,000cup...what I am referring to is that this means that it can withstand those unexpected pressures when folks load .430 bullets in a .424 bore with either black powder or smokeless powder...if it chambers.
I elect not to shoot high pressure loads in my 89' but I do shoot higher pressure loads than what is considered normal today. Normal pressure loads of yesteryear were higher than today's SAAMI recommended.

Lyman lists 19 rifles chambered for the 44-40 of which 9 are strong actions. This includes the Marlin Model 89' and 94'

Group 1 (weak actions)
  • Winchester Model 1873
  • Whitney Kennedy lever action
  • Colt-Burgess lever action
  • Marlin Model 1888
  • Colt Lightning pump action
  • [Replica Model 1873s (And I'd include replica Henry and 1866s in 44-40)]
  • Remington No 2 Rolling Block Single Shot
  • Ballard No 2 Single Shot
  • Stevens Model 44 Single Shot

Group 2 (Strong Actions)
  • Winchester Model 1892 (& replicas)
  • Marlin Model 1889
  • Marlin Model 1894
  • Remington Keene Bolt Action
  • Remington Model 14 1/2 pump action
  • Winchester Single Shot rifles
  • Remington No 1 Rolling Block single shot
  • Remington "Baby Carbine" single shot
  • Stevens Model 44 1/2 single shot
There should be 19...I think I missed a couple.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Gorgeous patina, I recommend leaving it as is.

I'd also recommend picking up a bottle of this Flitz gun & knife wax. It's not abrasive, but rather a carnauba wax solution specially prepared for use on gun finishes.

Again, beautiful rifle!!

Drink Liquid Automotive tire Font Sports equipment

Reactions: marlin54

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You've got an old saddle ring carbine. I can't see a lot of detail in your pictures but it all looks original. How is the bore? You seem to have restored the working parts well enough. Your gun has some intrinsic value to it as Marlin Saddle Ring carbines were made in somewhat limited quantities ( around 5000 in total) and are quite hard to find. This is a firearm that you should handload for. Brass is still available as are dies and either blackpowder or smokeless propellants are fine if you keep your velocities below 1300 f,p,s. Unique would be a good smokeless load in the .44-40.You can buy the 200 grain flatnose lead bullets in various locations or you could cast your own. R.C.B.S. makes an excellent bullet mould for this calibre. They also make excellent reloading dies. The .44-40 is a lot of fun to shoot and these old guns can be very accurate even when their bores resemble sewer pipes. Just remember to shoot bullets with diameters at least one to two thousandths of an inch overbore. May I ask what the point of rebluing your carbine would be ?
Ty very much for your professional opinion. I was told from a very young age this gun was my great grand father’s.
I wasn’t aware of the limited quantity production. The bore is pitted but rifiling is still very apparent. As far as rebluing, I had read it not only preserves but strengthens the barrel so I wasn’t sure which would be best, but after reading your post & others I’m sure leaving it alone is best. If I can’t hand load what’s my next best option for ammo?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts