Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning my 1894 44mag this morning all I did was take the lever off and removed the bolt and cleaned all that and the bore. Anyways I put it back together and noticed a lot of the other screws that I didn't touch were very loose. My question is can I take each screw out and locktite it without taking the gun apart or it falling apart?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
That's what I had to do because the screws would be loose every time I fired my 44 mag.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just don't use the red loctite. Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: kybob

·
Registered
356 Posts
You should be fine with all the screws except the loading gate spring screw. I leave that one alone, it's easy to break the screw if you muscle it too much.

Will I be able to remove the screws and put them back in without stuff fallin out of place

Reactions: GaCop

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
My 44 is the same way, I don't Loctite mine because I break down all my guns once a year for a deep cleaning. You could always use a brass rod to replace hammer and carrier screws to hold everything in place before replacing the screws, just don't cock the hammer before removing the screw.

·
Registered
839 Posts
jew1028 you seem fairly apprehensive about tearing you Marlin down. These are really, really easy guns to take down. Follow this thread http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/how-disassemble-clean/20184-disassembly-assembly-1895-pics.html and you should be alright. There are a couple of screws you can inadvertently swap that will lock the gun up, but it doesn't hurt anything to just swap them back and nothing is worse for the wear.

After the first time you do it, you may want a breather, for a cold one, but if you do a couple of times back to back you'll be quicker than Forrest Gump with his M14. I think I am anyway and no Drill Sergeant screaming at you either. After you get it down a little blue LocTite and you'll be a happy camper.

Reactions: Eli Chaps

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Concerning Loctite......
Be very careful which grade you use and where you use it.
Each grade ( color coded ) has an intended purpose. IF you use red ( 271 ) note it is intended for permanent repairs. Parts NOT easily disassembled. It CAN be removed, but will require heat ( enough to ruin your finish )
If one MUST use thread locker , blue ( such as 242 or 243 ) would be better. I have to get out a lot of screws, bolts out of equipment at work where someone got tired of tightening/ replacing and decided to " fix it " and used high strength 271. Then strip out the head trying to remove later.
I'm not against using thread locker , just use it appropriately.
Also 292 ( green ) is wicking and used for screws already assembled , such as adjustment screws.
BoB

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I was cleaning my 1894 44mag this morning all I did was take the lever off and removed the bolt and cleaned all that and the bore. Anyways I put it back together and noticed a lot of the other screws that I didn't touch were very loose. My question is can I take each screw out and locktite it without taking the gun apart or it falling apart?
If this is a new-to-you gun, you should do a detail strip, clean it, inspect it and lubricate it. It isn't hard to do and you can remove a lot of drag that way as well as look for burrs to remove. You have to try very hard to get it back together wrong, only one gotcha with two trigger plate screws interchanging and the action locking if you get it wrong.

Screws get loose after about a week's hard hunting, the reason I have a stub 1/4" hex drive handle with Brownell's Marlin subset of screwdriver bits inside in the hunting kit. The dinky hex head setscrew in the hammer extension gets loose no matter what you do to it, keep the hex key in with the screwdriver bits.

I don't use Loctite, I sometimes have to take the gun down to mop it out if I get stuck out in a blizzard or rainstorm with it. This happens often enough that I prefer not to have to mess with threadlocker.

Stan S.

·
Registered
741 Posts
As was said earlier these are easy guns to work on. You will like the rifle even better after you see it all apart and see how it all works and how simple but functional it all is.
Watch one of the disassembly videos a time or two and you'll be good to go.

·
Banned
4,733 Posts
I remove one screw at a time and locktite them. The safety needs to be off and hammer down to take pressure off one of them, but nothing falls apart. Why the 44 shakes apart more than other calibers is a mystery to me.

·
Administrator
28,338 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Go with blue #242.
As far as the little screws that hold the guts in place. Back each one(1 at a time)out 6-7 turns. Put a dab of blue loctite(ALWAYS shake the bottle up before use)on the tip of a toothpick and then touch the toothpick to the threaded area you see on the left side of the rec'r. Then snug the screw down a wipe excess off. Repeat with next screw. Leave the screw behind the loading gate alone if it ain't loose.
The only screws you really must have good-n tight are the larger head screw at the bottom of the rec'r left side and the one under the rec'r near the forend.
Don't loctite the lever screw--
LG

·
Premium Member
18,035 Posts
The 44 has a bit more thunder than the 357, so it shakes things loose faster. A dab of clear nail polish will hold them in place pretty well, without the expense of pricier Loc-tite solutions. And a bit of torque is all it takes to bust them loose, plus if you have some acetone handy, you can remove it at will. Just make sure you use properly-fitted screwdrivers, so as not to bugger up the screws.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts