Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag. I cycled a round into the chamber but the lever would not close all the way, I tried to eject it but the lever is jammed with it 98 percent closed. I removed the lever and tried various methods to get the bolt to slide back. I hope some one has a suggestion, Thanks

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Hi, I have a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag. I cycled a round into the chamber but the lever would not close all the way, I tried to eject it but the lever is jammed with it 98 percent closed. I removed the lever and tried various methods to get the bolt to slide back. I hope some one has a suggestion, Thanks
I don't have a solution for you other than don't start poking around with crow bar.

You need to try to determine what's causing the hang up before you start to apply tools and force.

What lead to this situation?

Was the rifle just re-assembled?

Is the cartridge hung up or is something else causing the jam?

Cycling with a reload?

Hopefully, some one will be along shortly with expert advice.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Can you lift the extractor hook off the case rim? If you can-The bolt should slide out.
Squirt the case and chamber area with WD-40..
Use a drift punch and with the muzzle in a SAFE direction.
Lightly tap w/hammer on the case rim, keeping the end of the punch on the case rim.
Sure sounds like a reload........
LG

·
Registered
658 Posts
I"m going by old memory ,but I seem to recollect that there is screw in the action for the loading gate that works loose causing this to happen or there is hang up on the carrier. I suspect there is some reason that the loading gate/carrier cannot be let all the way down.

You might get on Google and see if you can find an answer there

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
As above. If you can release the bolt and slide it back out of the receiver (So no chance of a detonation), run a cleaning rod in from the muzzle and tap away. Even without the bolt in place I would tap with a soft hammer or mallet, best to stay out of the direction of fire with a live round in the chamber.. You never know, maybe the primer took a blow when jamming and although a hangfire is very unlikely after twenty or so seconds, best not get in the way.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
If the lever is 98% close the bolt is closed and the hammer can't be released. If you do decide to try and tap it out, make sure you place something between the hammer and frame to keep the hammer from contacting the firing pin on a live round. Sure sounds like a reload that is jammed into the lands.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners.
Sorry about your predicament. My thoughts are the locking bolt could be engaged holding the bolt closed. To get it out you will have to remove the butt stock and the trigger group. I believe there are instructions in the gunsmithing section or possibly on youtube. With the locking bolt removed the only thing keeping thbolt closed would be the stuck cartridge itself. Wish I lived close to you as I have a 3/8 stainless steel ramrod I use for muzzle loading.
This reminds me of an old departed buddies favorite saying. "If it doesn't fit do not force it just get a bigger hammer"

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
This reminds me of an old departed buddies favorite saying. "If it doesn't fit do not force it just get a bigger hammer"
That made me laugh and remember visiting an old friend where he worked as a vehicle mechanic. He was under a car with a large hammer bashing away and said 'I will MAKE it fit'.

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
The gun is going to have to be taken down to resolve this problem.
Since the lever is already removed, I would first take the stock off, and
remove the hammer spring and retaining clip.
Then the lower tang and lock lug can be removed.
The bolt should then be able to be safely worked loose...as well as
the stuck round.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
...This reminds me of an old departed buddies favorite saying. "If it doesn't fit do not force it just get a bigger hammer"
That made me laugh and remember visiting an old friend where he worked as a vehicle mechanic. He was under a car with a large hammer bashing away and said 'I will MAKE it fit'.
"How tight does this bolt need to be?"

"Torque it until it strips and then back off a 1/4 turn."

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,692 Posts
Doesn't the lever need to be lowered more than 2% to be removed? I'm 99% sure my levers won't come out of the receiver until the locking block is out of battery, lever down about an inch. AC

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Doesn't the lever need to be lowered more than 2% to be removed? I'm 99% sure my levers won't come out of the receiver until the locking block is out of battery, lever down about an inch. AC
I never paid too much attention after the first time or two.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I never paid too much attention after the first time or two. I miss telling some details when instructing some times. Do it so often I forget some of the steps, just do it.
Either it got resolved or the OP did not like the answers. This was his one and only post.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.