Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,671 Posts
To the best of my knowledge they were just something decorative to denote Marlin’s 100th anniversary. I believe, but could be wrong, all Marlins from 1970, regardless of model or chambering, had the medallion installed on the butt stock.
That is what I understand too about the 100th Anniversary Medallion. Only have seen one 1970 Marlin in person---a 1970 Mod 336 in 30-30.
Mate--you have one very good Marlin there! Most of these rifles like factory ammo with bullet weights around the 240 gr weight (sorry mate--we are still on the English measurement system!). If you reload ammo, many of these rifles will shoot bullets heavier in weight---your rifle will tell you what it likes. Once you find an accurate loading--stick with it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That is what I understand too about the 100th Anniversary Medallion. Only have seen one 1970 Marlin in person---a 1970 Mod 336 in 30-30.
Mate--you have one very good Marlin there! Most of these rifles like factory ammo with bullet weights around the 240 gr weight (sorry mate--we are still on the English measurement system!). If you reload ammo, many of these rifles will shoot heavier bullets heavier in weight---your rifle will tell you what it likes. Once you find an accurate loading--stick with it!
Thanks for the advice. I’m going to have the stock repaired and treat her well

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
That's one rifle I've been searching for. Congratulations! I have a 1970 Centennial 336 30-30, and a 1970 Centennial 444 Marlin, Still dont have the 35 remington 336 or that Saddle Ring 1894 Centennials yet. Sure hope it's repairable. If anyone can do it, rjtmac is the one.

Can't wait to see the finished product. Welcome to MO from Kentucky by the way!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That's one rifle I've been searching for. Congratulations! I have a 1970 Centennial 336 30-30, and a 1970 Centennial 444 Marlin, Still dont have the 35 remington 336 or that Saddle Ring 1894 Centennials yet. Sure hope it's repairable. If anyone can do it, rjtmac is the one.

Can't wait to see the finished product. Welcome to MO from Kentucky by the way!
Thank you. Question; I’m new to buying rifles, what would would have been a good price to pay for that rifle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I’m struggling to find much information on this rifle. I do know from the serial number that it was made in 1970 as the first two numbers start with 70 but That’s about it. Anyway to check full serial number to see exactly when it was made and how many was made and then figure out where mine came in production

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Knowing that it's from 1970 may be as close as you get. I've seen charts with production numbers by year, but don't recall where, or know how accurate they might be.

Value wise, it's a day to day guess at best. If it was a complete 1970 SRC without any damage,....... I'm guessing a $1,000 bucks in today’s market, undamaged. Maybe more!

Damaged stock? You have to consider how hard it is to replace a Centennial stock, and a straight stock at that. Never knowing if the wood on the butt stock will match fore end.

Some folks won't care about the coin at all, and just want a pre-safety 44 mag.

I doubt I would give over half that, being the coin would need to be there to have value "to me". I doubt you'll find another, but it's possible. The coin can always be swapped to another straight stock.

I really like it, and hope you get it fixed. I sure do like that sucker. Congratulations once again!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Knowing that it's from 1970 may be as close as you get. I've seen charts with production numbers by year, but don't recall where, or know how accurate they might be.

Value wise, it's a day to day guess at best. If it was a complete 1970 SRC without any damage,....... I'm guessing a $1,000 bucks in today’s market, undamaged. Maybe more!

Damaged stock? You have to consider how hard it is to replace a Centennial stock, and a straight stock at that. Never knowing if the wood on the butt stock will match fore end.

Some folks won't care about the coin at all, and just want a pre-safety 44 mag.

I doubt I would give over half that, being the coin would need to be there to have value "to me". I doubt you'll find another, but it's possible. The coin can always be swapped to another straight stock.

I really like it, and hope you get it fixed. I sure do like that sucker. Congratulations once again!
thank you for the information.
this is part of the serial number. I have since found o I can send it to Cody guns but man it’s expensive to potentially not get much information back. I haven’t seen much info on these or pictures
Automotive tire Grey Bumper Font Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
289 Posts
That’s a 100th anniversary model stock. I have a 336 1970’ 35 Rem. You can accraglass the stock, sand, and refinish It. Not very hard to do.

Here is a stock that I repaired last winter. It had the top of the part of the stock barely attached. I acraglassed it back together and refinished.

I took it out and put a box of 25 bird shot shells through it and it still looks like new. So my job held up fine.

you can always find another stock and install the medallion from your broke stock onto the new if it doesn’t turn out.

·
Registered
M-94 .357 pre lock micro groove
349 Posts
That’s a 100th anniversary model stock. I have a 336 1970’ 35 Rem. You can accraglass the stock, sand, and refinish It. Not very hard to do.

Here is a stock that I repaired last winter. It had the top of the part of the stock barely attached. I acraglassed it back together and refinished.

I took it out and put a box of 25 bird shot shells through it and it still looks like new. So my job held up fine.

you can always find another stock and install the medallion from your broke stock onto the new if it doesn’t turn out.
That’s a beautiful job there!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts