Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are several threads here dealing with various iron/receiver sight questions/ideas. Thought I'de try to pull them together.

The Williams FP, hangs over the hammer unless receiver drilled to pull forward. Good sight? Tough? Newer 1894s not side tapped. Any of the other Williams sights?

XS, are these tough without the "wings"? (both types are sold) Do any of these sights hang over the hammer? Pricy? Ghost rings?

The Wild West sights. Pricy? Good? Over hang?

Brockman rear sight, hang over?(no hind sight/morning after pun intented) Pricy? Tough? What about in conjunction with the Sourdough front sight? Good combo? Hight problems?

Any body tried the rear sights that mount on Weaver bases? I dont remember who makes them. Hight problem? Front sight?

What about dovetail front sights? Ramp style? What are good combinations of these. Some of us "older" guys like the firesight types.

Any and all input will help somebody. Anything I may have missed.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
the williams firesight front is narrow and .290" tall it is rather fragile, I managed to ruin one and pop off the ramp while doing an intsall. I red loctited the ramp and screws back and am waiting for it to cure up and will decide on a hi-viz or marbles light pipe sight instead. there is a new williams FP rear that is supposed to fit the newer models w/o the side of reciever d/t holes. It states that the rear peep will hang over so you need to use the factory hammer spur; but I figure if you replace that w/ thier ghost peep or just remove/unscrew the aperture nothing will hang over? Will post when I get some of these figured out too.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
3006mv said:
-snip-
there is a new williams FP rear that is supposed to fit the newer models w/o the side of reciever d/t holes. It states that the rear peep will hang over so you need to use the factory hammer spur; but I figure if you replace that w/ thier ghost peep or just remove/unscrew the aperture nothing will hang over?
-snip-
You assume wrong. The support structure for the aperture is what hangs over. There is no Williams sight that will fit current production 1894's without hanging off the back. Do a forum search and someone posted a picture in a recent thread on the subject.

I have found the WGRS to be secure under reasonable use. It has taken some moderate knocks and not moved. That said, it's made of aluminum so it won't have the ultimate strength of an XS or Wild West sight if seriously abused.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had posted a picture of the FP-336 on my 1894C. Using the existing top holes, the sight base overhangs the back of the receiver, not just the aperture. I don't use the hammer spur extension and tolerate the overhang. The Midway site states "Please note that your rifle's receiver may required drilling and tapping for installation.".
My biggest objection to the FP is that it seems to need a taller front sight to take advantage of its capability.

Jim H

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
3006mv said:
I deeply regret the use of the word assumed when you clearly said you "figured". I told you it won't fit the way you "figured" and even suggested you do a search and see a picture of one installed. But that was before I knew you had a link to a Midway ad. Since you have it all "figured" out, go ahead and buy it. When it hangs off the back of the rifle, don't be ashamed to come back and say you were wrong. :roll:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw the other thread whith the pics of the FP sight with a hole drilled forward of the factory holes. Nice set up.

Now heres a question, looking at the Williams FP, it "hangs" over, could this sight be mounted turned around? Could it still be used that way? Sure it would place the peep a bit forward, and the body would hang over the other side, but would it work?

With the Williams FP, does the dovetailed front sight need changing? Will the Sourdough sight post work if the change is needed?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good questions.

I found the installation instructions for my FP-336 and it says that 'if the sight is installed on the right hand side of the rifle, the windage adjustment is reversed'. Apparently it will fit backwards without interfering with the bolt or ejection. I'd try it but I've got my carbine sighted to where I can shoot out the proverbial 'fly's eye' and I don't want to disturb it.

Jim H

·
Registered
186 Posts
I put an FP on mine. I'm planning on getting one hole drilled to mount at rear of receiver (using one of the existing holes), but in the meantime, I just mounted it in the front 2 holes rather than mess with the hammer spur. It works fine that way, just looks a little odd.

I ordered it with the taller firesight, but preliminary shooting at 25 yards looks like I won't be using it. It sighted-in fine at that range. I suspect the hood would have to go if I mounted the firesight, and I kinda like it there. When I look through the peep, the hood shows up near the edge of the opening, giving me confidence that I'm centering the bead correctly (I'm brand new to peep sights). I also have fears that the firesight might be kind of flimsy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hadnt thought about the front 2 holes. Seems like it would work OK.

I'm gonna get the FP and try both methods, forward hole and off side. I'll see how I like either then if not happy I'll have it drilled to pull it forward.

About shooting with peep sights, I have a habit of shooting high with regular open sights. Always been able to hit anthing I'm aiming at with peep sights. Short of a scope, peep is the most accurate.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
If you want a regular iron sight and a peep sight you can order a Smith Enterprises 1895 ladder sight with an optional peep slider.

The sight is $90, the extra peep slider is $15 plus $10 S&H.

No drilling required.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Williams receiver sight on my 1894 P. It requires a taller front sight. I ended up ordering a HiViz in .500 which is their tallest. I tried a .315 and it was 1"-2" high at 25 with the rear sight bottomed out. The Williams fit right on the existing factory rear holes (2) on the top, no tapping required. It does hang over the edge, I use a offset device that fits on the hammer.
Jim

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the FP, It has a broken windage screw. Got the target elevation knob so I can adjust for my 2 loads. Will try shooting this week. May need taller front sight. I put the FP on as its supposed to (hangs over more than I thought it would) while still having the rear sight so as to try to zero using the buckhorn sight. Looks like the front is short, I'll know when I shoot.

I'll just order the target windage dial to deal with the broken screw.

I finally know why its called a "ghost ring"!! I removed the peep and "got it".

I've got the patience to play with it (no pun intended) till I'm satisified

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Changed fron sight to a .532, still a little short. Works well with my cast loads but jacketed Hornady's still high. About 4".

I still dont like the overhang so I'm gonna order the guide jig from Brownells to drill/tap it forward.

Looking for a scope base that mounts in the rear sight dovetail. This would put the rear ring mounted on the front of the receiver. Saw this set up on an old Winchester.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've been shooting my 1894C using the front 2 holes for the Williams FP and the factory front sight. Seems to be working fine. I shot some 357 handloads using 158 grain Remington soft points at 100 yards and got a 4 1/2" 9 shot group. With my sorry eyes and shaky hands I thought that was downright phenomenal. Makes me wonder what the rifle would do with a good scope and a really good solid benchrest.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Receiver sights

Lucas,

I'm finally getting close to getting my first 1894C after months of waiting, much like you, only longer time frame. However, I'm curious about the sights you added....where did you find 'em.....online....local.... and how much difficulty did you have installing 'em? What made you choose the WP over the XS for eample? Thanks

Pasquinell

·
Registered
186 Posts
I ordered my Williams FP sight from Midway USA. I didn't know squat about peep sights of any kind, but the "ghost ring" on the XS looked awful big to be very accurate, and they were more expensive. Incidentally, I ordered the FP with the front "fire sight" but haven't used it. The existing front sight was tall enough. I was a little worried that if I put on the fire sight, it would be more fragile, and I would have to use it without the hood.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I tend to fuss more over the size of the aperture more than I used to, probably just because my own eyeball is not what it was.

The XS ghost ring sights for the Marlin 1894 come with .191" and .230" diameter aperture/posts (you can buy a .218" dia. replacement that is threaded for Williams or Lyman apertures). I found the .230" aperture really hard to use when taking deliberate aim, and settled on the .191" for all-around use. The .191" aperture allows for finer shooting than one might think.

Still, if I were doing much paper-punching or semi-target work with my 1894C, I'd likely get the replacement part to allow a much smaller diameter aperture to be screwed in. That is because when an aperture is too large and I am taking my sweet time, I tend to over-think the sight picture and end up "hunting" for the center, which defeats the whole purpose.

I have a Williams FPTK on my .22 LR Match Contender carbine barrel, and it has a very small aperture which would be tough to use in a hurry... it works great for most target shooting, though. Unfortunately, in very dim light, it gives me a poor sight picture, which dictates unscrewing the aperture and aiming through the threaded "tunnel." Compromises, compromises.

I like - and recommend - the XS combo for the 1894, but it isn't perfect. The rear is secured by a screw and a post (and Loctite), while I'd be a lot more confident if there were two screws (and Loctite). They have proven to be compact and rugged little boogers though. I also find the "skunk stripe" front sight very easy to use under any conditions (so far), but adding a hood would require some modifications. Many people (as indicated here) find the ghost ring sort of off-putting, but the replacement threaded aperture takes care of that issue.

If XS comes out with an 1894 version of their LeverRail, I'll probably opt for one of those, which would allow mounting an UltraDot closer to the rear of the gun while still maintaining an aperture for backup use.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just bought a used 1894 Cowboy in .44mag. I ordered the Williams sight and was put off by it hanging off the rear of the action.

After mulling it around abit, I took the WWG Sight off my Guide Gun (usually shoot the GG with the 1.5x Leupold pistol scope on an XS Scout Rail anyway) and put the Williams on the GG.

I then took the WWG sight and mounted it on the 1894, but it just looked funny with the screw in aperture hanging over the hammer. One more try, I installed the sight body backwards and screwed the aperture in from the rear. Now it works and the aperture is protected by the sight ears, excepting that you have to disassemble it to make any windage adjustments. I also installed a 0.5" tall wide based fiber optic front sight and one of the fancy dovetail fillers from Brownell's.

Now I'm happy the rifle shoots good and the sight picture is the same as my fiance's GG with rear peep and front fiber optic. :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts