Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took this gun to the range for the first time. I noticed it is very difficult to load the shells in the mag tube, then after about 25 rounds it jammed.
I had to leave the range with the lever locked open, and a shell stuck about 3/4" out the mag tube. Luckily the chamber is empty. The lever will not budge, and I think I still have 2 rounds in the tube. Before I blow money at a gunsmith, any suggestions?? If not, I am going to dissassemble gun to see if shells will come out. My first impression of the Marlin 1894 44 mag is not good!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I disassembled the gun. It still had 5 rounds in the tube. The shell involved in the jam is deformed now. I am going to clean this gun, oil it, and put it back together. If I am not happy with it's performance, I will then give someone a hell of a deal on it!!

·
Registered
455 Posts
*** REPLY TO ROGMATT -- HANG-IN ***

--- ROGMATT , --- DON'T GIVE UP THIS EARLY . --- Chances are you'll get through the initial disappointment and get a cure for this relatively easy . --- Reason I predict that , is because of the history of this particular design .

They've been making it since 1894 and it's had a very dependable track record , (taken overall ) .

DEERDOWN - 444 , gave you some solid info . in his reply-post . --- Excellent " Fix " article .

I just went through it myself with a brand new 1894 FG .

So did -- " RETIRED SQUID " ( who is a very gun-savy hombre ) , Look for RetiredSquid's posts in this Forum , and also under THE " BIG BORE " Forum , --- and maybe the Cowboy Forum ( ?? ) --- Anyway , Both He and I recently sent ours back to the Factory , with excellent results , and very short waits .

The " MARLIN JAM " -- seems to be fairly common in the 1894 , and maybe especially in the FG / .41 Mag . model ( ? ) ; --- but the .410 caliber / cartridge is so similar to the .429 caliber / cartridge , that the situation has got to be very similar .

If you search around in this Forum and the other two , ( above )
-- you'll find lots on the subject .

My posts ( below ) : --- are titled " 1894 .41 MAGGIE - REPORT " --- and " GOT IT BACK " ( or something close to that ) .

These are really fine little rifles , once you get the jam problem fixed , -- and once fixed ; chances are you'll never have another problem ( especially if you keep all the screws on the reciever snugged down or locktighted ) .

Further , with the new-generation of big-meplatted Hardcast Bullets ( LBT types ) , now available , -- with the slow powders ; --- ( and with very little further gunsmithing to make them feed slightly over-SAAMI length cartridges ) , --- these little Carbines can take much bigger animals than previously .

So , here's the point I'm trying to make ; --- You can kill two birds with one stone ( and probably very inexpensively ) . --- Were it me , I'd send it to a Gunsmith that specializes in Marlins ( e.g. Jim Brockman ) , and get the feeding fixed while at the same time tuneing it to feed something like Buffalo-Bore's warm - Heavyweight LBT's .

If the weapon is brand new , send it to the factory first ( I got mine back in 13 days , -- total elapsed time ) .

It's too good to give up :!: --- (IMHO) , there's no where else you can get that kind of potential , and power , in such a small , light package , -- and with all the advantages of the Marlin Design .

As to the Jams , one theory / explanation , that I heard from a very knowledgeable Gunstore Owner ; -- is that maybe the original design was for tapered Cartridges like the 44-40 , etc . -- and the straighter walled numbers like .41 and .44 , aren't quite natural for the design ( ?? ) . --- But , then again , Marlin has sold millions of these things , and they've had lots of time , since they were re-introduced , to get the bugs out . ( ?? )

Nose To The Trail , ------------- MMCOUGAR .

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cartridge gate screw was loose also, and as i understand it, that will cause a jam everytime. I will ensure all screws are tight upon reassembly.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Rogmatt said:
The cartridge gate screw was loose also, and as i understand it, that will cause a jam everytime. I will ensure all screws are tight upon reassembly.
Rog,
That'll do it every time, get a bit of locktite on that screw!
Cheers,
R*2

G

·
One of my guns did that and I replaced the carrier with a new one. Dropped right in, fixed the problem. Brownells has them for around $20.

G

·
Rogmatt said:
Rogmatt,

I'm seeing this thread for the first time, am glad I read on down 'cause I was just about to break in and suggest you check that screw. I've had my 1894 .44 mag since 1984, and that's happened to me 3 times-- once during a Cowboy match! If you notice the rounds feeding funny when you load the rifle, check that screw right away before you chamber a round. What happened with mine was the loading gate got cocked off to one side just enough to allow the cartridge rim to get -behind- the front edge of the loading gate. When that happens, all you can do is take the thing apart and get the rounds out.

Also, if you notice the rifle develops a hiccup when you're chambering a round (sort of stutters while you're bringing the lever up to close the action), check that carrier screw. If there's one screw on a Marlin that's begging for Loctite, it's that one.

I always carry my screwdrivers with me at a match and tighten the screws after every couple of stages. But now, I've had it over 20 years now and have put thousands of rounds through it.

Now if you STILL want to unload that Marlin, PM me-- I'm sure we can work something out, heh heh...

Oh, one other thing-- you'll like the way that gun carries with a sling a lot better if you move that barrel band swivel down to where it's a couple of inches from the forearm. You've got yourself a fine rifle, don't give up on it. Unless of course you want to make me a deal in which case you should give up immediately. :wink:

.44 Mag

1 - 9 of 9 Posts