Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys , new here to this forum . I plan on being here for a while. I am a long time Marlin owner but never had the 1894 . Can someone striaght up give the the verdict on the .38/357 caliber in 1894 model ? I have heard good and bad . I am about to get rid of 2 pistols to buy this rifle . It is my ":must have " gun .
Any information is appreciated .

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Well, short of cycling dummy rounds at the shop before buying it, ya spends your money & you takes your chances, especially with a used gun. If they work & they usually do, theyre a hoot to shoot & a handy little hunting rifle. If they dont it can be frustrating but if you stick it out theyre a hoot to shoot & handy little hunting rifle. ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
My experience with the 1894/1894C is that they are well made, simple to work on if needed, easy to clean, and probably the most fun you can have pulling a trigger. Any problems can usually be overcome by the owner without need of a gunsmith (with some sage advise from those in the know, like many on this sight!) ;) Welcome to MarlinOwners,and(albeit early) to the fold of 1894 owners. ;D

I have a 1894C that I have been using for a few years now. It is a real pleasure to shoot. I have also had several others in 357 and 44, including Cowboy models that I have had to part with as a last resort when times were tougher. I hope to be buying a few back when money allows! There's another 1894C (1982 model in excellent condition, and for a good price!) calling my name from a local gun shop right now...tough temptation to resist! 8)

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Can't say enough good things about a lever rifle in 357. If it wasn't for my 44-40, I'd be carrying mine everywhere around here.

·
Registered
766 Posts
My most favorite gun to shoot is my 1894C!

·
Registered
402 Posts
My 1894 is a Cowboy in .357. I absolutely love this rifle. If I had to give up all my guns except one, it would be the one I would keep. It's a hoot to shoot!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Does this rifle feed .38's ok? I was wondering if the shorter cartridge cycled good? I read an article once about not seating the bullet as deep as normal, basically giving the same overal length as a .357 magnum, but with using .38 special brass. I can't for the life of me remember which rifle they were loading for, but by loading the bullets this way it eliminated any hangups while cycling the lever.

P.S. I almost forgot. I too will own one of these beauties one day. It only makes sense when you consider how many .38's that I already cast and load for my two revolvers. As long as I can keep a supply of free lead trickling in, my cost per round is less than buying CCI Mini-mags or Federal auto match .22lr ammo. I can load one thousand rounds for $41, $31/1000 primers and $10 for powder. Sure I use up a bunch of my time assembling them, but it's a hobby that I enjoy so labor cost isn't factored in.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
welcome to MO.what model 1894 are you looking to buy?I have a cowboy LTD with a 24"barrel that I bought about a month ago and I really love it.Some guys like the long barrels and some like a shorter barrel all though the 24" is harder to find because they are no longer made.I'm like Coonhound,if I had to sell my guns(God forbid) the 1894 would be the last one to go. JD

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
The only non-Marlin lever action I own is my 357. It is a EMF Hartfort. The 357 in a rifle is fun to shoot, easy and less expensive to load/reload, and effective as a short range deer rifle. Adequate for self defense. I like the size of the '92 clone in this caliber.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Longfin said:
The only non-Marlin lever action I own is my 357. It is a EMF Hartfort. The 357 in a rifle is fun to shoot, easy and less expensive to load/reload, and effective as a short range deer rifle. Adequate for self defense. I like the size of the '92 clone in this caliber.
What is "short range"?

·
Registered
766 Posts
My 1894C will feed just about anything - even 38 wadcutters if the lever is worked carefully, that is, briskly.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
tercel89, welcome to MO!! Enjoy yourself here, lots of good folks here with good info. 1894c are fun to shoot and cheaper to feed, especially if you reload. Take cre, John.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
funfunfunfunfunfunfun. ;D Hopefully I'll be reloading by next year. Then, funner.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Welcome tercel89, as already said they are fun to shoot better get plenty of ammo because it wont last long. I'v had mine for about6 or 7 yrs. and its one of the funest shooting rifles I have.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
coonhound said:
My 1894 is a Cowboy in .357. I absolutely love this rifle. If I had to give up all my guns except one, it would be the one I would keep. It's a hoot to shoot!
I'll just say that my 44-40 would leave before the either of the 357 rifles here.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Of course what short range is depends on the brush in front of you. But PJ once told me that up to 100-125 yds the .357 mag in a rifle is basically equivalent to a .30-.30 ballistics wise. My 1894 is more fun than should be legal. I like to splurge a bit and rarely shoot anything but .357 mags through it. The rifle barrel makes it really feel like a toy, much different than in a revolver.
As far as feeding .38's, it will, but even OTC .357 isn't too bad so why bother? I mean if you are planning a 500-1000 round day, yes then .38's have a financial edge but if you are shooting a box or two...

·
Banned
16,492 Posts
tercel89 said:
Hi guys , new here to this forum . I plan on being here for a while. I am a long time Marlin owner but never had the 1894 . Can someone striaght up give the the verdict on the .38/357 caliber in 1894 model ? I have heard good and bad . I am about to get rid of 2 pistols to buy this rifle . It is my ":must have " gun .
Any information is appreciated .
I use my 1894C a lot - it rides in my pickup! I've killed dozens of coyotes and more jackrabbits with as well as two small whitetail does with it. It'll reach to 125-150 yards easily on coyotes or jacks so long as I do my part.

Be aware that the older ones (mine's a very used '82) need blue LocTite on the receiver and barrel band screws (NOT the lever screw!!!), otherwise the screws can shoot loose. Just take them out one at a time with a properly sized screwdriver, clean both the screw and receiver threads with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol, apply blue LocTite, put the screw back in, then go to the next screw. No big deal unless you'e not aware of the tendency. . .

·
Registered
622 Posts
My favorite rifle, but it wouldn't feed at all when I bought it. Simple fixes all escribed here on this site and once you read through it its easy to see what is going on and fix it. My buddy bought one shortly after I got mine hed had feeding problems too both due to the extractor. But i do not belive that is the norm but it is realtively common.

If it happens to you it is easy to fix, once fixed they really do eat more ammunition than most other guns. Only my ar-15 has a stronger appetite. :)

Buy it, shoot it, fix it if nessesary, shoot some more, and then love the hell out of it.

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
44-40 Willy said:
Can't say enough good things about a lever rifle in 357.
That pretty well sums it up for me. If you like plinking, small game hunting, deer and coyote hunting under 150 yards, blowing stuff up, pest control, or just banging away at dirt clods out to 100 yards or better, the 357 Marlin is about as good as it gets. Mine gets shot more than any other rifle I own, and I've been known to burn up several hundred rounds in a day, just for fun. My favorite thing is putting a can out on the 50-yard backstop, and keeping it moving until the magazine runs dry, which happens with astounding rapidity.

But as has been mentioned, don't buy one if you can't afford to shoot it a lot. 357 ammo is pretty cheap, and far cheaper if you load for it, but I've been tempted to sell my kids and less useful guns just so I could afford to shoot it more. Only AR-15's have more voracious appetites!

And the fun factor cannot be understated. 8)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts