Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have loads of .357 mag ammo for my revolver, and I was thinking of purchasing a 1894 in the same caliber to maximize ammo costs. It's usage will be as a camp gun, survival gun, for the lever action shoots, and just for having fun...the ammo is relativally cheap. What do ya'all think?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Light, accurate, quick handling, powerful enough for medium game at reasonable distances, ammo is cheap and plentiful, recoil is very mild... The 1894 in .357 magnum is the ultimate bumming around rifle. Models are available in traditional octagonal barrel, smooth stock, "Cowboy" trim or more modern checkered, round barrel hooded front sight form. Pick the one that suits you, but get one today!

·
Registered
479 Posts
SoftPoint said:
I have loads of .357 mag ammo for my revolver, and I was thinking of purchasing a 1894 in the same caliber to maximize ammo costs. It's usage will be as a camp gun, survival gun, for the lever action shoots, and just for having fun...the ammo is relativally cheap. What do ya'all think?
I think you meant minimize.
Either way, what Imashooter2 said.
Personally for me it is the 44Mag, but the 357 will do just fine.
Ranger

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I picked one up today. $270 new, at a local Big 5 sporting goods. It's a birthday present to myself. I'll be 41 tommorrow. I'm gonna be a real cowboy this weekend!

·
Registered
479 Posts
That's cheap. Are you sure it wasn't $370 ?
If it was $270, what are they selling the FG and the MR for ?
Congrats on your purchase and have fun.... 8)
Happy birthday !
Ranger

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Up here they run 299.00 when they go on sale every month.....that's still cheap. They have the "hardwood" stock, which I heard is birch, but it looks ok and is just the same otherwise. I'm holding out for an FG, tho.

·
Registered
345 Posts
SoftPoint said:
I think its a great little carbine. I just wish they would make it with a pistol grip stock!

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried the rifle this evening. It is very accurate. One problem. It does not feed the .357 rounds smooth. I have to work the lever a couple of times to get the rounds to feed. It feeds the 38 special rounds fine. Anyone else have this problem? Is is just the action needing to wear in, or should I consider calling Marlin?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Generally if there are feeding problems it's with .38s. Are your .357 handloads 1.590 inch OAL or shorter? What style bullet?

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Factory UMC 125 grain JSP. They do not feed smoothly. Any help would be greatle appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Those are almost pointed and should feed 100 percent without issue. If you are working the lever slowly, speed it up. A solid down and up stroke will greatly aid reliability. If you are working the lever at speed and not trying to baby the rounds into the chamber, contact Marlin.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
If it's new, it might be a little dry.........spritz a LITTLE WD40 in there and blow it out and make sure it's dry, then try it again (wet WD might kill your primers)

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After cleaning it's starting to get better, but it's not fully smooth yet. Maybe it needs some more time to wear in. What do ya think?

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After cleaning it's starting to get better, but it's not fully smooth yet. Maybe it needs some more time to wear in. What do ya think?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Mine definitely got slicker after a few hundred cycles, but I've never had any .357 jam or hang up that wasn't over 1.590. I've fired hundreds of the Remington (UMC) 125's without issue and others on this forum have fired many thousands.

Is the cartridge hanging up on the way into the chamber or is the action just not smooth? If the cartridge is hanging up where does it jam against? The top of the receiver? Below the chamber?

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It hangs up while going into the chamber. It goes in a little way, then it jams there. Like somthing is keeping the cartridge from going into the chamber all the way. Maybe the cartridge is not aligned right....I dont know. What do you think? If anyone has any insight to this, I'll welcome any advice.

(edited in a better explanation)

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
If the cartridge is too long it hangs on the bottom of the barrel. Sometimes SWCs will hang on the top edge. Once the cartridge starts in the chamber, I don't see what it could hang up on. Not trying to be condescending, but you can't tell experience levels over the net... Are you operating the lever quickly with a full, continuous down and up stroke? These rifles work best if the action is worked briskly.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts