Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking that one of the all time Marlin Holly Grails is the the 1984 in 32 H&R. Having already acquired comparable S&W Holly Grail Model 16 a couple years ago, I'm thinking it would be cool to have a Marlin in the same caliber.

A quick check on GB shows only 3 listed and they are all 1894 CB models. So I have some questions:

- Did Marlin ever make regular non CB model 1894s in 32 H&R ?
- What other 32 caliber 1894s did Marlin make? I think I've heard of 32-20s. Did they ever make them in 32 S&W?
- What years (from-to) where these manufactured?

Thanks,

Pete

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Marlin has made 1894s in 32-20 off and on since the rifle was first introduced. My wife has a 1894CL 32-20 made in 1990 during its late 1980s to early 1990s production run. I think the cartridge was brought back into 1894 production again for a limited run in the mid-2000s if I remember right.

·
Registered
19,713 Posts
If I remember correctly,the .32 H&R was tube-loaded and the .32-20 had a loading gate. The 32 H&R models all carry a very hefty price tag. If you're a reloader,the performance is the same. An 1894CL in .32-20 is a whole lot cheaper,and there are some for sale on gunbroker.com all the time. Tube loading puts a lot of people off.
I guess it comes down to personal choice and finances.

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
Tube fed for the .32 H&R doesn't put me off because it is one of the Holy Grail's Marlin made. Along wiith the .22 LR and .218 bee and .41 mag and the 38 CBC. I have the .41 GF and soon the 38 CBC. Saving some dough for the 32 now. I know I'm sick.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have a 32 mag and it has the tube loading set up. Its a total non issue for me. Its easy to use and easier to unload. I have considered selling my 32 mag but I realize when I do I will never get another one. I just like my 357 mag better. But the little 32 is a shooter.

The only Grail Gun I have ever wanted was a S&W 631 in 32 mag. (I like 32's) I finally found a model 631-1 with 4" barrel and adjustable sights for a price I could justify. No box or paper work and the grips had been replaced but it was $675.00 from a guy on the S&W forum. Most sell for $900+. The funny thing is I have only had it out once to shoot. I like my Ruger Single Six's in 32 mag better.

Keep looking. Marlin 32 mags turn up on GB every now and then. And they go for high prices when they do. One went for $3500. Crazy. But that was a fluke.

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
299 Posts
Tube fed for the .32 H&R doesn't put me off because it is one of the Holy Grail's Marlin made. Along wiith the .22 LR and .218 bee and .41 mag and the 38 CBC. I have the .41 GF and soon the 38 CBC. Saving some dough for the 32 now. I know I'm sick.
I have one. I think the size of the round makes the makes the magazine tube feed more desirable. The loading gate seems like it would be a finger pincher.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I don't think a rifle can be sold here with only one post.
Who has one post and is trying to sell a gun? I don't see anyone in this thread trying to do so.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I wondered if a post had been deleted. Anyway that explains it now.

I hope the OP finds what he is looking for. My uncle had the 32-20 version and when my uncle died I offered to buy it along with two first generation colts in 32-20 that had belonged to my GF but she decided to sell them without giving me a chance at them. The 32-20 was a lighter weight gun if that means anything. The 32 mag is a chunky little rifle. But its ate up with cool.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
No the 32-20 needs its own gun. Google the specs on both rounds and you will see the difference.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The 1894 .32 H&R is a fun little rifle. I can't recommend it enough. If you just have to have one, I guess you will have to pay the price.

As far as just having fun with the cartridge, I'd recommend the Henry .327 until you can come across a Marlin. It's a lot of fun to shoot and economical to reload.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.