Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brag pictures I know but you guys understand. :mrgreen:

Passed on one of these three years ago and kicked myself ever since.Walked into a gunshop in Sydney while on holidays,there was not one but two sitting on the rack. :shock:
Well I got it shipped back to my home state and picked it up at my dealer yesterday.

New/old stock,unfired. 8)

G

·
I have one I bought used about 3 years ago . Its in really nice condition . Funny thing is like your situation . While I was doing the paperwork on this one some guy brought another one in the shop and traded it.
If I could have got to him before he got in the door I would have bought his as well . The one I bought was in nicer shape , but what they gave himin trade I could have bought his cheap. As it was I only paid $350 for the one I got :wink:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Great looking rifle. I'm still looking for the one that will someday become mine. They seem to be about as rare as hens teeth.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It might shoot but is not designed for it. Probably wouldn't feed right due to length and you'd eventually get a ring of lead in the chamber which would cause problem due to bullet jump and lead striping which would make chambering a full length 22mag a problem later. The 22 mag also uses a true .224 diameter bore whereas the 22 LR is about .218 IIRC.

I have an 1894 M but would not shoot 22LR's through it even to just try it for the above reasons.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
No it won't...the barrel in he first pic states "cal .22 magnum only. .22 longs or long rifles are smaller in diameter than the .22 magnum and could lodge in your barrel.

Bob

·
Registered
476 Posts
Nice pictures. I have been thinking about getting my hands on a .22 Magnum caliber rifle to hunt Coyote with. I'd like to have a Marlin for that. They are pretty rare.

I may just search for one up until next season and if I don't find one then I'll have to try something else. Wish me luck!

JC

·
Registered
118 Posts
Two or three years ago I bought a Ruger revolver marked .22 cal. I shot a cylinder full of .22 LR rounds and found that 2 of the 6 had longitudinal splits in the cases and two had bulged and almost split. When I took it back to the store I was talking to the salesman and we realized that it most likely had a .22 mag cylinder. When we checked it was indeed a mag cylinder. So, no, the .22 LR will not work in your gun.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
I don't even remember seeing the 22 Mag listed in a Marlin, anybody know what years they were made, and how many? Sounds like something they ought to bring back! What a great critter gitter!

Papajohn

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
1894M 1983-1988 a little over 12,000 made. I lucked into mine, someone in a gunshop said, "I didn't know Marlin made a lever action 22 Mag" then set the rifle back in the rack. Grabbed it and didn't leave my hand till it was paid for.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You are lucky there, i'm fairly convinced that noone of this 12.000 made 22Mag's, never left from the other side of the pond, and if they did i would sure have got'n one of them long time ago..

I'm using a 9422 only as a substitute :cry:

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I have friend who is selling one of them in like new condition. I thought it was too high at $475. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, that's higher than book value for sure. 98% is worth about $395.00, 95% about $350. But how many of 'em do you ever see for sale? I've known about them for a lot of years, and I own the only one I have ever seen in person. Since I traded for it, it got it worth the money, but I'da given some serious bucks for it, just because. So I'd say it depends on how much you want one and what kind of condition it's in. If the condition is good or better, then the amount of want dictates the dollars. I wouldn't take that for mine, but that kind of cash money would sure be gettin' close to causing me to think the feller offering it had more money than he had sense!!

I suppose I don't own anything I wouldn't sell for some price at this point in my life. But I sure wouldn't take what my wife will sell 'em for when I'm dead and gone!!! Personal satisfaction is worth a lot of money, especially if you can spare it without affecting your grocery budget!!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Thanks for the info Pudge! I'm not looking to buy this one my friend has. I'm kinda stuck on the old Marlins, and he offered it to me, so I was just asking because I had no idea what they went for, and it seemed a lot for a newer 1894, even if it does look unfired.
Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I've never regretted paying too much for a gun I liked, but I do have some regrets buying a cheap gun I hated...

Case in point, I paid a ransom for my Marlin 39A Mountie. The guy knew I wanted it bad and had been looking for a while. It was more than I was comfortable with but once I had it in my hands, the amount was forgotten and I enjoy shooting this gun every time I go to the range and it anytime I can take it in the field. I wouldn't sell it for double what I paid for it either.

Back on topic, I want an 1894 in 22WMR too but I'm going to try to be more patient this time :wink:

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
When I found my 1894M it was in Gun List a friend had only about 30 miles from here. I paid $330 for it without a cheap Tasco scope. The person who had it before the guy I bought it from had refinished the stock and sanded the butt stock down below the tang metal. It also had a chip out of the left top side of the butt stock too .... BUT since it was the first one I had seen in person ... asked the guy to hold it for a five days for me, then picked it up. It did have a letter where it had been back to Marlin for a tune up.

Now it's sitting in NJ ... waiting for Shum8 to put that beautiful walnut stock on it. They did not have checkering on them, but might see if there is a small, early 1900's or late 1800's checkering patteren to put on the new wood too. Have not decided yet. Of course it will have the Marlin Bullseye inletted into the buttstock. Shum8 said he would take before 'n after pictures also. Mike

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would just like to see one. I have never after all these years seen one in person. There must be a conspiracy. I think the black helicoper people are getting there ahead of me. How do they know? :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I feel your pain, Bear Paw Jack. As I said, I own the onliest one I ever saw in person. And that didn't happen in my life until I was 58 years young! I walked a lot of gun shows and have rubbed shoulders with lotsa gunny folks over the years, during most of which I have fancied Marlin levers. I also coveted a Mountie for a long time and just never found one in really decent condition that I was willing to spend what the seller was askin' for it. Finally found a really nice one at a very reasonable price and with it and that 1894M, I am just about tickled spitless.

I've been looking for a long time for an older specimen of a Marlin .444. I'll find one one of these days that suits me. Got not much use for it, but that's never been a necessary criteria for ownin' a fine Marlin lever, has it??

I sure hope you get to scratch your itch for an 1894M one of these days soon. It's a neat piece to add to your collection..... if ya ever get to southeastern New Mexico, let me know, and I'll let you look at mine and bust a cap with it!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts