Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi group,
Yes, I am still pretty new to this but I have a craving for a number of Marlin Leverguns. I am trying to decide right now between the 1894 models. Anyway I see that Wally World is still advertising the FG 41 mag model but I do not see it on the Marlin website. What year was this model made?
Also, for investment purposes, would it be a better idea to go with the FG provided it is still available or go with the C model which would be cheaper to shoot, etc.?
I do like the PG on the 1894FG better than the SG on the 1894C, however, the overall size of the C model sure looks handy. Either would be fun to shoot, however, the .357 would be more pleasant I would imagine and cheaper to load for.
I sure like the 41 mag cartridge though.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
I think they have stopped making the FG, but there are still lots of them for sale on gunbroker. I went through a similar delima recently. I bought one of the older 1894S rifles in 41 Mag. I also bought an early 90s 1894CS 357 Mag.

Both were sweet handling, slick little rifles. The 41 actually felt just as light as the 357 despite the extra barrel length. It is amazing how much weight reduction you get from the bigger hole in the barrel. Anyway, since I dont reload as of yet, it became apparent that the 41 was going to be very expensive to shoot. The 357/38 on the other hand is very cheap to shoot.

Since I already had a 1894 CBII in 44 mag that really filled the same niche as the 41, I kept the 357 and sold the 41. I have not regretted the decision yet. I have shot the 357 several times without breaking the bank. It is a hoot to shoot, and very accurate. I may have to try it deer hunting this Fall.

·
Registered
117 Posts
They stopped making the FG after 2005. I had one a year ago and it had jamming problems so I sold it. When I found out they quit making them, I picked another one up a few months ago. This one is working fine and is very accurate (5 shots touching at 50 yards with open sights). I would look for a 41, but then again I am a big fan of the 41 and not a big fan of the 357. When I sold the first one I had 5-6 calls the first day it was in the paper which tells me it would hold its value well and be easy to sell if you ever wanted to.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I like the 41 as well. I read a post buy someone in here regarding an FG that was very problematic regarding feeding different brands of ammo. My thinking too was that Marlin probably will make a 1894C for quite some time but the 41 may be a little tougher to get down the road.

How is the recoil between the two? is the 41 closer to the 44 mag or the 357 mag?

G

·
I can't say I'm a big 41 MAG fan but I do own two of them . An 1894Fg and an 1894CCL .
Killed a couple deer with the FG , but I've yet to fire the CCL .

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
azoil,
Both the .357 and the .41 have their favorable traits. Mrs. Retro says to advise you to do as we did------get the 1894FG for yourself and the 1894C for your wife. I favor the .41 but don't pass up any opportunities to have fun with the .357. Both calibers can give feeding glitches in any given rifle but can be smoothed out with some fine tuning. All calibers in the 1894 are equally contageous. No matter which one you start with, you'll probably end up getting more. Welcome to a wholesome illness. :D

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:lol: 41Retro,

I like the way you guys think! I have been considering that option. However, this would mean my wife would have to know that I bought not one more gun but two. Ofcourse, there are a couple of options to this:

1) I tell her only about her rifle - at least until we go shoot them. (Then give her the puppy dog look).

2) I tell her I couldn't decide so I bought both - if she shows concern - then & only then do I tell her I bought one for her. (So we could spend more time together).

One "catch 22" is that she doesn't approve any more gun purchases unless I can buy her one too. That could get expensive - but fun.

I have considered telling her all the guns are hers and everytime I buy another one, I am just adding to her collection - "I'm just buying them all for her, cause I love her so much"

Nah, that's all just fun, my wife is the coolest when it comes to guns, her dad had a gun shop when she was a kid - she likes them too.

·
Registered
455 Posts
*** .41 Fan ***

Howdy Azoil , --- Went through your same dilema a couple of yrs. ago . -- Sure glad I went .41 . --- Had an 1894FG chopped to 17 inches and smoothed up for feeding Federal's 250 Gr. hunting Cast-core .

Use google to find -- Paco kelly's leverguns.com .

Then click on " Articles " , and scroll down to two articles by Paco :

One is called " The .41 , - Sunday's Child " ,
( or similar ) .

The other , ( and the must-read ) , is called
" The .41 with Heavy Bullets " , ( or similar ) .

In among the info . is some good comparison to the .357 , as I remember .

Read these two and , you'll never look back .
--- Sooo much potential with the .41 .

------------------- Regards , MMCOUGAR .

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you don't reload, stick with the .357. It will be cheaper to feed. The .41Mag really comes into its own with heavy for caliber bullets. Mine like the .230gr Keith style Leadheads. Cast Precision is famous for their heavy cast bullets too, and there are 4 or 5 other sources. But if you don't handload, the cost is very high for high volume shooting with these bullets.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Go with the .41mag. It shoots like a .44 with less recoil and more potential power then a .357. They did stop making the FG this year, but there should be some available on websites and retailers. I want an 1894 also. 8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts