Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
Any right side barrel stamps? If there's no right side proofmark,yours is genuine. Those other marks could possibly be import/export markings,and the rifle came back into the USA. Perhaps this was returned to Remington for a repair and re-issued for sale. Either way,if there's no REP on the right side,you're OK. My stainless JM stamp looks just about like yours,and it was made in '08.
Maybe the proof tester was hung over,or it was early Monday/late Friday.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Maybe, was in a hurry? From what I can see, the rifle looks nice though. I might just start looking for one.

Reactions: bkg1956

·
Registered
59 Posts
There's a guy on here that worked at Marlin around that time. He's chimed in before and maybe he'll chime in again, but the proof mark wasn't applied until after assembly. JM stamped means old school Marlin assembly plant. New ones were stamped REP on the opposite side and had no JM marking. My 1894 for 1996 has barely any of the J visible. The stamps were certainly not great nor 100% consistent from rifle to rifle in appearance.

Regardless, if you do a forum search about the transition, there hse been at least one good topic discussing the transition in the past few months. I'd definitely say it's not a Remlin but some searching will fill in the details much better.

Nice gun, btw. I'm jealous.

·
Super Moderator
12,712 Posts
Serial # starts with 91. Would that not make the build year 2009?? Didn't Rem take over in 2007.
Thinking, maybe it's Remmy built, from older Marlin inventory. :hmmmm2:
LG
The 1894CSS was introduced in 2009 so technically all of them are Remington made. Production was moved to Ilion in 2009 so you can find both stamps in guns made that year. FWIW I have owned both versions and the REP gun is actually the nicer of the two, go figure. I really doubt anybody here would turn either version down though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.