Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! First time poster here.

I just picked up my first Marlin on Friday - an 1894 CSBL and it seems to be well made except for the somewhat rough machining inside. I had to polish the crap out of the loading gate port and mag tube hole in the receiver, to reduce my brass being gouged to hell. This was my brass before filing and polishing:
Brass Ammunition Metal Bullet Auto part

Now I'm just getting light scratches from feeding into the chamber. Only happens when they're loaded into the chamber from the mag tube. If I manually drop a round into the chamber (not using the lever/carrier) it's fine. Here are some pics of the light scratches now (can barely be felt with a fingernail):
Brass Ammunition Metal Bullet Finger
Ammunition Brass Bullet Metal Gun accessory

Am I being too picky/anal with the scratches? Is it just the nature of the beast with these Marlins? I ask because the only other lever gun I have is an all weather Henry 44 mag which does not scratch the brass at all.

I'm an avid reloader so I was bummed to see my shiny brass getting scratched:laugh:

I'm guessing it's the sharp edges of the chamber throat that is scraping the brass as it's chambered? I'm hesitant to try to chamfer/polish the chamber edge since I could create some headspace issues? Thoughts?

·
Registered
18,226 Posts
I hate scratched brass. Yes, you can chamfer the face of the barrel at the chamber. Lightly, don't take any more off than you have to to smooth it up. You will not affect the headspace with a proper, light, smooth minimum chamfer, just enough to break that square edge. Post pictures of the breech face before and after. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
My CSBL did not have those problems but the insides needed some work to get things smoothed up. However after that, a WWG trigger, safety delete, new hammer spring and some locktite got me on very slick little rifle that I like a lot.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
11,640 Posts
The chamber is not scratching your brass, if it were the scratches would be straight. I believe it is in the feeding - the lifter, and or the edges of the chamber mouth. Polishing as written above is where I would start.

AC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hate scratched brass. Yes, you can chamfer the face of the barrel at the chamber. Lightly, don't take any more off than you have to to smooth it up. You will not affect the headspace with a proper, light, smooth minimum chamfer, just enough to break that square edge. Post pictures of the breech face before and after. Thanks.
Ohh okay thanks. Good to know.

Any advice on what tools to use? Need something round. I’d hate to use a dremel with one of those tapered rubber grinding tips.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The chamber is not scratching your brass, if it were the scratches would be straight. I believe it is in the feeding - the lifter, and or the edges of the chamber mouth. Polishing as written above is where I would start.

AC
Thanks. Yes I agree. It’s has to be the edges of the chamber since they’re fairly sharp.
I’m just wondering what I should use. I originally brought the gun to my local gunsmith who knocked down the bigger sharp edges. Then I had to use fine grit sandpaper and flitz metal polish to finish it up.

But for the chamber edges I’m wondering what the best method/tools would be?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it seems as though it was a chamber/throat issue.

I attached 320 grit sandpaper followed by 400 grit on a 5/16" dowel and did some turns by hand and chucked it in my drill. Got it fairly shiny inside and now the scratches have disappeared. There might be one tiny tiny tiny vertical scratch remaining in one spot but I suspect I just need to do more sanding with a finer grit sandpaper.
Auto part Metal Tire Automotive wheel system Wheel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts