Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having issues loading my rifle.
Wanted to post this while I search through the forum looking for answers.
I shot my 1984 CSBL for the first time today.
Great Gun !
Ran a sample of cartridges through it, around 14 different flavors and all cycled extremely smooth and not a issue.
The screws all started backing out but I was expecting that.
More accurate than I am.
The issue is that it is incredibly hard to load.
Cartridges hang up at several different points when loading as if caught on a lip.
Appears to me to hang right about the point where the feed tube starts in the receiver in relation to the bullet, case mouth and case rim but that is just a guess.
Could be something deeper in the tube I am not aware of since I haven't disassembled this gun yet. My first tube feeder.
It does appear to have a sharp edge at the feed tube entrance. There is no chamfer at all.
I will take pictures when I clean and disassemble.
Anyone come across this before?
Thoughts?
(I do have a RPP loading gate to install but my feel is that it is not related to the loading gate.)

David

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
I have the exact same rifle. Yes mine hangs up there a little also. I figure that it will eventually work it's self out. I guess you could take the magazine tube out and do a little rounding on the Mag tube lip. But I believe I will just let mine break in naturally.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The same thing happens on my 1894c. I’ve noticed that it gets worse when the loading gate screw starts to loosen. After tightening the screw, the rounds are much easier to load. I need to add some blue loktite on the screw.

·
Registered
17,020 Posts
With the magazine plug out, let the spring out all the way. Cut the end about 4"-5" from the end of the tube. This always helps ease feeding. Tweak the cut end inwards with a needele nose pliers so it won't bind on the inner surface of the tube, and tweak the other end inward to insure it goes into the magazine follower, too.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My 1894SBL feeds fires and ejects perfectly. If yours is new and not right take it back!

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Like I said on the SASS forum-
Your bullet shape is a big part of this.
Try RNFP(Round Nose Flat Point)bullets.
Also-How clean and smooth is the INSIDE of your mag tube?
X2 on the BLUE loctite. I use it on every screw on my M/94's.
LG

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
For me I have been using RNFP Bullet shape. It feels like you are hitting the sharp edge of the inner magazine tube. Not on every round of course but the ones that catch you just have to pull the round back out a hair and reinsert at a little different angle. I am sure it will wear a little, and eventually fix it's self. Really for me not much of a problem but it is noticeable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Having issues loading my rifle.
Wanted to post this while I search through the forum looking for answers.
I shot my 1984 CSBL for the first time today.
Great Gun !
Ran a sample of cartridges through it, around 14 different flavors and all cycled extremely smooth and not a issue.
The screws all started backing out but I was expecting that.
More accurate than I am.
The issue is that it is incredibly hard to load.
Cartridges hang up at several different points when loading as if caught on a lip.
Appears to me to hang right about the point where the feed tube starts in the receiver in relation to the bullet, case mouth and case rim but that is just a guess.
Could be something deeper in the tube I am not aware of since I haven't disassembled this gun yet. My first tube feeder.
It does appear to have a sharp edge at the feed tube entrance. There is no chamfer at all.
I will take pictures when I clean and disassemble.
Anyone come across this before?
Thoughts?
(I do have a RPP loading gate to install but my feel is that it is not related to the loading gate.)

David
I'm having the same issue, .38' load well. (Shorter)
Found I need to really make sure the feed ramp in pushed down all the way.
Less than 100 rounds so far, maybe it will loosen up.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'm having the same issue, .38' load well. (Shorter)
Found I need to really make sure the feed ramp in pushed down all the way.
Less than 100 rounds so far, maybe it will loosen up.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Put a drop of oil on the pivot point of the carrier(feed ramp).
Make sure the lever is completely closed, before you load.
CK all the screws-
LG

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies !
That's what I love about these forums.
Good people.
I plan to take apart and inspect tomorrow if things go as planned.
Will inspect all points of interest mentioned.
Also, had a excellent conversation on the phone with Widder from SASS forum.
Will let everyone know how things go during this project.
Not sure if I can post a video on this forum but I will at least get some photos up as I document this process for others.

Thanks a million !
David

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Update

Wanted to update everyone on things.
After several conversations with Mr. Widder, he confirmed my observations and we agreed to an approach to correcting my issue.
Upon disassembly, it was confirmed that the rim of the cartridges were hanging up on the "portal" of the receiver and the beginning of the magazine tube.
So, long story short.
Chamfered the portal and the feeding tube.
Cut off magazine spring past 4 rounds outside the tube.
Cartridges no longer hang up at those two points when loading, and it is so much easier now.
Especially after reducing effective spring weight.
I am hoping to go shooting this week to see how everything goes.
Haven’t polished the portal chamfer like I would like but wasn’t sure if I would have to make more modifications or not.
If this all goes well, I will tackle the next concern which I will post about at a later date.
Installed the RPP loading gate which is anodized aluminum but quickly chewed it up so went back to original stainless steel one and lightened up the tension in it.
Also ordered a stainless steel magazine follower and will install the next time I take the rifle front down.
The photos show modifications.
Thank you all for the input.
David

P.S. The first two photos are after modifications, just in case its not clear. : )

Attachments

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
Looking forward to hearing the results. Thought about champhering mine but it does not bother me that bad to do it right now. Figure it will eventually break in anyway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine was nonfunctional. Every round except the first one would catch and stop twice.
This required me to wiggle and often have to reinsert the round to get it to load.
Totally unacceptable.
Especially since this is going to be my go to home defense rifle with revolver as backup.
Trying to transition from semi-autos in case the push from the left wins.
If you get to the point you want to do yours, get in touch with Widder.
He has a lot of experience with these beasts.
Or if I can help you in anyway, I would be more than happy to help.
David

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Looking forward to hearing the results. Thought about champhering mine but it does not bother me that bad to do it right now. Figure it will eventually break in anyway.
Try loading the rifle with gloves on.........
You may well see why this issue needs to be fixed.
Good luck,
LG

1 - 20 of 24 Posts