Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advise on how to lighten up factory lading gate? or should i just get aftermarket one?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was looking into this as my .357 is hard to load but the aftermarket flyweight gate is like £45 / $40 so it seems like it would be more hassle modding the factory one imho.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
649 Posts
If one is very careful you can slowly remove material from the back or the narrow section of the gate. This can be done with a Dremel and a small sanding drum. Don't get the gate metal too hot or you will take the temper out of it and have no spring at all. Go at it a little at a time and reassemble to check for spring pressure till it's good.
For my money though I just buy them from Ranger Point Precision.

1,872 Posts
If one is very careful you can slowly remove material from the back or the narrow section of the gate. This can be done with a Dremel and a small sanding drum. Don't get the gate metal too hot or you will take the temper out of it and have no spring at all. Go at it a little at a time and reassemble to check for spring pressure till it's good.
For my money though I just buy them from Ranger Point Precision.
I used to mod the factory gates just so, but it's a hassle. Haven't touched one since my robots started making the Flyweights.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Leave a empty case in loading gate when gun not in use over time this will make loading easier.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just take some of the curve out of the loading gate.
A little at a time until you have the pressure you like.
I've done it to all of mine and it works the best.
I buy a factory original replacement then straighten the replacement one to my liking and keep the original documented and on file in my parts bin.
My 2 cents.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Remove the gate and add a bit of inward arch to the spring.
It's a bit of T&E.
When you re happy with the results. Use a drop of RED #271 Locktite on the gate screw
Gary
That's pretty much what I did on my .44 1894. I also stoned and polished the loading port edges and the "tunnel" area inside the receiver, so that loading is very smooth and easy. I can also unload the entire magazine without levering the action.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts