Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have and 1894 Timing issue. I have been shooting Leverevolution in .45 Colt. I get a jam occasionally. I have had the carrier fixed by a good gunsmith and he has been reading about the famous Marlin jam. I think it is a timing issue now but have not found an article which would help me solve the issue on the forum. Does anyone know if there is an article that would help me reset the timing after the carrier has been remachined?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
The way I fixed mine is with a new carrier. They are hard to come by nowadays. Rounded the tip of the lever oh so carefully and put in a new carrier. No problems so far, but it's gotten to the part where Im afraid to have a good time with it...lol.

Google is your friend, do a search for "marlin jam" got plenty of hits. I have a few if I can find them.

Reactions: Owen49

·
Registered
879 Posts
Big Game... What mag plunger are you using? If its an original flat one you may want to consider switching to the newer style which allows for better feeding with the FTX ammo. I'd look at this first before doing any modifications or parts purchases.

·
Registered
19,794 Posts
Bigame:

Go down to Do it Yourself Gunsmithing thread 'Jams of All Kinds' and find Tweaking the 1894 Carrier. Bend the carrier nose up .010"-.020" by cold bending in a vise using 2 round screwdrivers as pivots. I fixed two 1894's this way and they feed better than new. I used a feeler gauge to get an exact reading. The ruler that the thread author used was too crude to get an exact measurement. I wound up with an .018" upward bend on my blue 1894,it had an occasional hitch,and now it's just perfect. Feeds smooth and sure with all nose shapes. This restores the timing lost to parts wear,etc.

Cutting tool Metalworking hand tool Tool

Rob

Reactions: Owen49

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Big Game... What mag plunger are you using? If its an original flat one you may want to consider switching to the newer style which allows for better feeding with the FTX ammo. I'd look at this first before doing any modifications or parts purchases.
By magazine plunger are you referring to the spring and follower? I replaced the follower with the plastic Leverevolution follower that Marlin recommended.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bigame:

Go down to Do it Yourself Gunsmithing thread 'Jams of All Kinds' and find Tweaking the 1894 Carrier. Bend the carrier nose up .010"-.020" by cold bending in a vise using 2 round screwdrivers as pivots. I fixed two 1894's this way and they feed better than new. I used a feeler gauge to get an exact reading. The ruler that the thread author used was too crude to get an exact measurement. I wound up with an .018" upward bend on my blue 1894,it had an occasional hitch,and now it's just perfect. Feeds smooth and sure with all nose shapes. This restores the timing lost to parts wear,etc.

View attachment 720502

Rob
I have not bent the carrier. The gunsmith I took it to put a weld over the carrier where the lip on the lever had scraped a small nick on the carrier. He then remachined the carrier with a CNC mill. He also slightly rounded the nose of the snail cam on the lever so that it would ride more smoothly on the carrier and not dig in. Should I still bend the nose of the carrier .018?

·
Registered
19,794 Posts
I have not bent the carrier. The gunsmith I took it to put a weld over the carrier where the lip on the lever had scraped a small nick on the carrier. He then remachined the carrier with a CNC mill. He also slightly rounded the nose of the snail cam on the lever so that it would ride more smoothly on the carrier and not dig in. Should I still bend the nose of the carrier .018?
Sure. Read the thread. The author details his success,and I got the same same great results twice. It sounds like your timing is close,just needs a nudge. The carrier I bent .018" fed ok,but it hung up once a week or so,only on shorter RNFP reloads. Just often enough to irritate me. It had always fed jacketed bullet shapes fine. The little tweak I put on that carrier made the rifle better than new. Try an .010" bend,test run for a while,if you need more give it another small tweak. I am a firm believer in this repair. Sounds like your Smith was close,you just need to bring it up a hair and fine tune. Perhaps by rounding the snail cam on the lever and machining the ramp on the carrier,a few thousandths of an inch were lost.
If you're getting the 'let in two' jam,bringing the carrier nose up will definitely help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.